Sister hung up on me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

The symptoms are getting to me. I have to take two cabs to get my prescitions for cash (another post).

My sister listened to me for about 15 minutes. I call her every night in Florida. i was really upset. Do you know what she did? She hung up on me.

I was shocked. I feel so terrible. Usually I have more of an upbeat attitude, but feel that this disease will kill me.
    I just can not take it anymore. i know I have to, but my God, why will not people understand?

I call my sister ever single night. We just chit-chat, but I told her of my problem and told her how upset I was and she hung up.

I am shocked. Any advice?

nyrofan
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2007]
  2. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Do you have any other family members, friends, or neighbors that you could talk to instead of your sister? If for whatever reason she can't be supportive of you then maybe you need to find someone else that can help. Or, maybe she was just having a bad day herself...

I hope things get better for you.

Holly
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have tried to put myself in other people's shoes. I look very healthy, and all my blood tests are normal (except for a low white count) and I try to imagine if I had never gotten sick with CFIDS - would I have empathy for and try to understand someone who looked as healthy as I do when they complain of how terrible they feel? To be honest, I don't know the answer to that. I don't know how I would react if I didn't have this illness.

Your sister may feel overwhelmed. Talking to her every single night is a lot, and she may feel helpless becuase there's nothing she can do. I think it would be good as someone else suggested to try to find someone else to talk to.

I have found that the only people who can really understand these illnesses are people who have them themselves. I think it just may be too difficult for "normal" people to get it, although the good ones do at least try to.

So I would give your sister a break, try to put yourself in her shoes, and then rely more on people on this board for support, and maybe cut your phone calls to your sister down to twice a week or so. I have a sister I'm quite close to, but even with her I don't tell her everything. There's nothing she can do, and I don't want to drag her down too much with talking about the living death of CFIDS.

Mary
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

Can you have your prescriptions delivered? You said you pay cash, does that mean you do not have prescription coverage?

I can understand how you might feel isoloated. Do you have any other family members closer to you? I am fortunate in that my sister lives with us. My brother is in Germany, so not much help...except for advice.

You might also look into support groups in your area. I think that the fibro network might have a listing. If not, tell me where you live and I will find the closest group.

Good luck and hang in there.

Ingrid