Sitting at the computer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Apr 18, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I would like to spend more time on the messeage board during a setting. I get interested in posts, but I start hurting like crazy. It's hard to even sit at the computer very long. I can feel bones just crunching in my back.

I use a pillow behind my back, but it don't help much. Knees start hurting too, from sitting and having them bent. I try to stay on for a little while and rest also, but soon as I sit down, my back starts hurting right where it left off.

SOOOO aggrivating. Maybe I need a better chair. I just have cheap chair from wal-mart. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to make yourself more comfortable while on the computer?
  2. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

This probably won't help you very much, but I went to office depot and spent about $100 on a very nice office chair. It isn't any special brand or anything but I've had it for going on 2 years and I wouldn't trade it . It's got a nice high back, arm rests and it fits me.

It may not compltely solve your problems but it may help a little. Good Luck.

Tanya
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have what is called a manager's chair. It has arm rests and a big seat and a big high back. It is comfortable for sitting for a long time. I couldn't sit in those little tiny chairs for long times because they just don't give the support.

If you want to find a good chair go to Office Max or an office store and sit in them and try them out. That is what I did.

Just remember the ones with the arm rests may get in the way of pulling up close to your computer. That doesn't seem to be a problem with my chair.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

Right now I have a fairly comfortable chair,but I have to have a foot stool to put my legs up on.Which means I have to lean back(thank God my chair leans back),which means I have to sit sideway at the computer,which is not good for my neck.(major issues with my neck)
    I need a laptop SO bad,because the ONLY way I am comfortable is laying in a recliner but I will never afford a laptop in this lifetime.SSI and child support does not pay the monthly bills the way it is.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I think the key is having a comfortable chair. I have a Mission Style rocker, nice padded seat. Has arm rests. I don't need to use back muscles to hold myself up, and arms can rest, not causing shoulders to overstretch.

Also, my desk has a shelf underneath and I can put my feet up. I sit here all day. This is my spot. Like some have a recliner, or "their end" of the couch, this is my spot.

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

If my husband had not bought a lap top for me, I would not be able to be on the computer for 10 minutues and then only rarely. I need to keep in a somewhat horizontal position to survive. I lived in a recliner for a few years and now I alternate between the bed and recliner.

Sensory overload is preventing from staying on as much as I would like now. It is my connection to the world.

I hope that you find a solution.

7. kriket

kriket New Member

for the suggestions, I am going to go chair shopping.

Kriket
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I could only sit there for 10 minutes.My daughter bought me a laptop.When you can affor one it's wonderful.I used a rocking chair at the computer,my back was relieved whenever I rocked it.Linda