Six Sample Advertisements for Washington Post 1/2 Page AD:Review/Comment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puggles, Oct 27, 2010.

1. puggles

puggles New Member

Samples Ready for Feedback NOW!!!

The ad samples are ready for your review. Please go here:

Go here to give your feedback:

Look under "Print Advertisements" and then look for "Ad Samples."

If you have not registered, you will need to do so. After registering, you may have to enter another password: "action" to access the topics.

--->>>> Feedback time will end on October 31 at midnight EST.

Don't forget to donate here:

Look at the top left for the donate button.

The MCWPA Team
  2. puggles

puggles New Member

Please go to :

Go here to give your feedback:

Look under "Print Advertisements" and then look for "Ad Samples."

The AD voted on will be the 1/2 page AD in the Washington Post. This is the nation's newspaper read by the President, VP, senior staff, policy makers, journalists, muck rakers, public, doctors, researchers, EVERYONE - ALL of those people that can MAKE MAJOR CHANGES to our disease for funding and research - and clinical trials NOW.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While in general, I like this approach, I am concerned about the statistics in the advertisements

The numbers are quoted as if they have been proven by science. In reality science is not there, yet. We don't know if these statistics are definitively accurate. I fear this could eventually backfire.

We know something has been found but there are conflicting studies as well as numbers and the results are still being studied to sort things out.

I'm not sure what the solution is as more money for research is indeed needed. It's a slippery slope when presenting our dilemma.

It does look like a lot of hard work was put into these ads and they look very professional.

Just my two cents worth.

Take care.

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There's so much information to be packed into a single ad - why has nothing been done for 25 years, the discovery of retroviruses, etc. I wish they could publish more than one!

5. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Yes, we plan to do more than one.

This is just a start.

Also, fibromyalgia is mentioned as a possibility, a motivation, a reason to do research.

What statistics are not known. Please tell me. The designers were careful. But we don't want to have this backfire. So if we missed something, let me know.

Everything is controversial about ME/CFS. But we have to put some message out there, the message we want.

6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

The Science paper said 3-4% of controls were positive for XMRV.

The FDA/NIH paper found 7-8% of controls positive.

7% of the US population would be like, what? 20 Million?

I loved the ad that was to the Dept. of Health and Human Svcs:
    It is the Agency that the CFSAC has been trying without hope
    to get the attention of, and the one that the massive email
    campaign has targeted, too, as only they can make the funding
    happen for more XMRV research and clinical trials for patients.
    Yes, it's 'wordy' and needs more editing, but it LOOKS like a
    newspaper article, and even though WE have trouble reading,
    the general population and reporters who will see the ad will
    have no problem.

FM, GWI, Autism and Atypical MS will all benefit from this ad:
    they have much more positive press than ME/CFS patients, so
    that is being targeted in the ads. Also, XMRV was found in the
    other illnesses, well, at least two that I know of, so when the
    funding is approved and XMRV is found in these illnesses, all
    will benefit.

One of the goals is to get Centers of Excellence so ALL of us
    can be properly tested and treated. Do not feel excluded; that
    is the opposite of what this Cause is trying to do!

Remember, this is all by the patients and for the patients; it
    will benefit all neuroimmune illnesses in the end.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

All the statistics cited such as 3-4% of controls were positive for XMRV. The FDA/NIH paper found 7-8% of controls positive. These figures are cherry picked from studies that found the XMRV. Can we say with absolute certainty that these percentages are accurate?

Scientist have not investigated all the studies enough to know what is really going on as far as XMRV/RV links. We don't know whether it causes CFS, if it is a piggyback virus or nothing at all. We only know that there MAY be an association in some of the studies.

It would be so nice if this was all wrapped up in a neat little package but it isn't. Maybe in the future, hopefully sooner than later, we can say these statistics are fact.

I just think people are banking too much on the positive studies being valid in the adverts and this is where things could backfire. Perhaps more emphasis on the fact that research is promising, this DD is awful and we want to get to the root of things which can only be done through studies.

Please do not misconstrue this as meaning I don't want XMRV to be found to cause/be related to CFS nor that I don't want funding or even pull the advertisements.

I think the intentions are great but I just question some of the means to get there. As I said, I do not know the solution to this and bravo to those who are working on it as it has to be a tough job.

I think the proof is in the details is an apt expression here. But then maybe I worry too much? :>)

Take care.

8. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Thank you.

Feedback is what we wanted.

9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I gave feedback there, and won't repeat all that I wrote, but will say that I definitely like the first or fifth one the not like the one that quotes the CDC at all bc it is quoting the CDC.

Even though the quote is actually good, I will not support anything that in any way implies that the CDC might be rt, or that will inevitably lead people to go to their website where they will find all sorts in inaccurate and harmful info. There are plenty of other quotes that could be used instead and would still give a picture of how serious ME/CFS is, and that would not direct anyone to the CDC in any way. We may understand why that quote is good, but most people reading it will only see it as implicit agreement with the way the CDC has handled things, and as saying that they are a good source of info.

Also, as to the mention of fibro, I do like the first ad and have no problem at all with fibro and other issues being mentioned in the manner that they are there; however, in response to the reply on here about the other ads failing to mention fibro......the ME/CFS WPA is an ME/CFS grp; not a fibro grp and its purpose is to get people to write about and further research and support ME/CFS

......I absolutely understand that people with fibro want it taken seriously, too, and I do also have fibro myself; however, though it is still lagging behind where it needs to be, there is more research and info already out about fibro and people are gradually starting to understand that it is serious and they are starting to fund it more....and there are some possible meds for it, etc which does lend credence to it and is at least a start........... ME/CFS still lags way behind pretty much every other possible health issue with regards to funding and to lack of info and serious misinfo being spread. That is the reason that the ME/CFS WPA was started, and if they also try to focus on related issues, they will wind up watering down their purpose and stretching their already thin funds further....and the message will not have the desired impact (on ME/CFS or on any related illnesses, for that matter)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2010]