Sixth day on Mirapex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maryld, Nov 27, 2006.

1. maryld

maryld New Member

Hello everyone. I just want to share my experience (thus far) on Mirapex with all of you. I was very nervous at first because i had heard many feel very nauseous after taking it. Well...my first dose of .25 at bedtime allowed me to sleep through the night for the first time in three years! I couldn't believe it! Every night since taking it i have slept through the night when i normally would wake up every couple hours in pain. I am now taking .50 and am excited to see what this will do for me. Stomach hurts a very little and not too hungry since taking it but all in all very tolerable. I will keep you posted. Any questions let me know.
  2. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I am happy that things are going well for you and hope they are all because of the Mirapex. My doctor is now studying the mirapex issue for me (we had an appt on Friday) and I am so hopeful he will let me give it a try!

Keep us posted!

Kim
  3. maryld

maryld New Member

Yes, it is only because of the Mirapex. I hope your doctor allows you to give it a try. I printed out an article on it and brought it in for him to read. I cant believe the difference in my sleep and i just started a week ago. I pray it does the same for you. Keep me posted.GOOD LUCK!!!
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm glad you are doing better I've been on it for about a week and a half and am doing so much better. Sounds like you have FMS, I have CFS but seems to help both DD.

I think it is causing consitpation in me but hey that's a small price to pay for having my mind back.

Good luck,

Shar
  5. maryld

maryld New Member

Good to know it is helping you to. I have FM and CFS. I can relate to the constipation. I hope this works for many others...something has to give! This has given me a small piece of hope...anything to keep going i guess.Take care.
  6. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

What exactly is mirapex? Is it a type of narcotic, or just non narcotic pain reliever? I've heard a lot of success stories about it but I don't even know what it is.
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I tried to find a good site to send you too for your answers but they either didn't have enough info or were a chemistry lesson. So let me see if I can explain it.

Mirapex is a dopamine agonist that was first used to treat Parkinson's Disease. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter (among other things)and acts on the part of the brain that controls movement.

Most of us here are using it to treat Restless Leg Syndrome. By controlling the movement of our limbs at night it helps us achieve a better quality of sleep. Since sleep is the time when our bodies not only rest but repairs damage it helps with our other symptoms; pain, brain fog etc.

Hopefully I got all of that right and if not someone please correct me.

Shar
  8. maryld

maryld New Member

Thanks for explaining it to Dani. I tried this med because of all the wonderful things people here have said about it. So for that....I THANK YOU. I still continue to sleep through the night and it only takes me less than 30 minutes to fall asleep! I wake up feeling so much better. I would say this is a start and now i have to figure out how to get through my days better. Far from out of the woods but have to start somewhere. I pray it does for everyone what it has done for me and others here. I will be going from .50 to .75 by the end of this week and will let you know the outcome.
  9. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Maryld how long were you taking it before you started to feel the benifits of mirapex. I have been taking it now for 3 days and i take it three times a day at .125mg tablets. I'm suppose to take it 3 times a day for a week and then increase it to 2 tablets 3 times a day. I've heard all the good things about this drug and yet I'm not sure I feel any different. I've noticed the nauesa and like you i'm not real hungry but that is about it so far. Also did it help you with your pain or with sleeping or what. I'm sooooo confused.......SueF
  10. I too am asking my dr. next wk. for a script for it, as he offered it once before and I didn't take it. But to sleep through the night would make such a world of difference. Does it help with pain also?
    What dosage do most of you take and I assume you work up each wk to the dosage you need?
  11. maryld

maryld New Member

I noticed a difference the first night. I took .25 and slept right through the night. I continued to sleep through the night for close to a week with no problems till two nights ago. I am not sure what went wrong but two nights ago i went through 20 minutes of hell after taking it. It passed but i was scared. I was so sick, burning up and almost passed out. It did pass. Last night i took it again at .50 and though i didn't get sick like the night before I had some hallucinations during the night.(felt like bugs were on me and people in my room) Not a great night but i am not giving up on this yet. Mirapex has helped with easing some pain through the day but has been most beneficial with my sleep. I am going to stick with .50 for awhile till i know for sure my body can take it. It is a little scary but i don't know what else to do.
  12. maryld

maryld New Member

Yes, when i woke up the next morning and realized i had slept through the night i was amazed. I did post the past two nights have not been so good but i am going to hang in there and see what happens. (my first week was great) I started at .25 and three days later went to .50. I would start at .125 and see how you react to it and go from there. I am not to sure what i did different to cause such a bad reaction the two nights...just listen to your body for we all are different. Gook luck. Let us know how you make out.