Sixties Music Trivia Quiz

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Apr 8, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I did abysmally on this test,got only got three out of ten. How embarassing as I was a sixties/seventies "flower child".

Your score is 90%-A, 80%-B........

However, if you want more of a challange try goggling the answers you do not know.

The answers are on a separate post.

Instructions: Please read each question carefully and select the correct answer by clicking on the corresponding button. The answer key will be provided after the quiz is scored. Streeeetch that mind!

1. Which of the following groups/musicians had the hit "House of the Rising Sun"?
    Cat Stevens
    The Animals
    The Mamas and The Papas
    Gene Pitney
    I don't know

2. Who fired Jimi Hendrix from his band in 1965 for missing the bus?
    Little Richard
    James Brown
    Marvin Gaye
    Stevie Wonder
    I don't know

3.Who wrote the song "Respect" for Aretha Franklin?
    James Brown
    B.B. King
    Otis Redding
    Marvin Gaye
    I don't know

4. In October of 1969, a rumor, based on "clues" on Beatle album covers, spread across the world that Paul McCartney was dead. How did the rumor claim he had died?
    By drug overdose
    In a car accident
    In a plane crash
    By drowning
    I don't know

5.Which of the following was one of The Byrds' hits?
    "Mr. Tambourine Man"
    "I'm a Man"
    "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
    "You Really Got Me"
    I don't know

6. Jim Morrison's idea for the name The Doors was inspired by the quote, "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear as it is, infinite." Who wrote this?
    Robert Burns
    Robert Frost
    John Keats
    William Blake
    I don't know

7. What were the first names of The Everley Brothers, creators of "Bird Dog" and "That'll Be the Day"?
    Bob and Frank
    Joe and Tom
    Don, Phil and Jim
    Don and Phil
    I don't know

8. Which of the following groups was recording their first album at Abbey Road at the same time The Beatles were recording Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band?
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    The Monkees
    I don't know

9.Which of the following was one of The Temptations' hits?
    "Stand by Me"
    "Reach Out I'll Be There"
    "These Arms of Mine"
    "The Way You Do the Things You Do"
    I don't know

10.Who had the hit "Get It On"?
    The Kinks
    The Shadows
    Status Quo
    I don't know

[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/09/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2009]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I knew the answer to number 7: Don and Phil.

If "I don't know" is a correct answer, then I got 100% right.

Actually I got outta college just before the Beatles showed up. That was when I quit paying attention
    to popular music.

But my generation was the first to dance to rock and roll and to wear white bucks like Pat
    Boone and to scream over Elvis and to roller skate to Ricky Nelson. We were cool when that
    word wasn't even used.

And I met Robert Zimmerman before he was famous

4. jole

jole Member

I got 4 also...which is really pretty good with my memory being what it But honestly, I don't know that I could have done any better in the 70s. Those were hard! But fun. Brings back lots and lots of great memories....***Jole***
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I googled the answer and it was not who I thought it was.

Now I have had a brain fart about who I thought was the correct answer. He died in Paris of a drug overdose, there was a movie about him with Val Kilmer(?). Meg Ryan played his girlfriend. It was her first movie.

Why can't I think of the guys name and remember everything else? Guess I will have to google.

ETA. I found the name of the person by googling. I won't say the name in case anyone guesses him. I found the answer by going to IMDA(International Movie Data Base) and looked up dear ol' Meg. I got it I guess by going through the back door, so to speak.[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2009]
  6. rockgor

Vince Welnick
    Brent Mydland
    Keith Godchaux

Per some site or other.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Do you think these names are the answers or are you just throwing out random funny names? Are the names real? Is the last peron French?

We actually had an esteemed professor where I live with the last name of Takashita. I should go to the website to find out how many people have Takashita as a last name.

I can only imagine the crank calls he got. This was when I was in high school and I know several members of my High School used to do this. Strangely enough, they were all boys. But then girls are developmentally more mature than guys in high school.

I doubt that he is still at the UI, but I should look that up.

I know I was pretty sophisticated compared to the boys in my high school as a friend my sister and I used to go to the local park where couples parked and they would shout things out the window. My job was to drive as the other two were not old enough. Their job was to shout. I have to say, we were very organized since each person had a role. It was not easy to coordinate when to shout and we often had disputes whether we should shout right before we would see a car, as we were passing, or right before we drove off, so we would not get caught or anyone read the liscence plate. The car I drove was a 1940 Buick Convertible that my dad had restored. Why the heck he let me drive it, is beyond me.

We were once stopped by the police. He was chuckling as he told us to get out of the park. I just wish I could remember what they shouted.

gap[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2009]
  8. rockgor

In response to your questions, you will have to do your own research and form your own conclusions
    as to the validity of said names. It does seem unlikely that four such ungainly names would all
    be attached to the same position, doesn't it.

Perhaps your professor was related to a co worker of mine named Juanita Tashita. All she needed
    was a middle name like Lolita.

I don't comprehend the juxtaposition of "sophisticated" with "shouting out the window". Of course I don't know
    what your friends shouted, but here are some popular shouts from the 20th Century.

Hey, Mister! Get a Horse!

Your Grandmother wears army boots!

So's your old man!

Kill the Umpire!

Is there a doctor in the house?

Ya wanna make something of it?!

Help! Help!

Any of those seem likely?

Is your father still alive? I was born in 1940. Maybe he could restore me. (Smiling out loud.)

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My father will celebrate his 90th birthday in December.

He writes three newsletters, takes pictures for the newspaper in his small town, was president of his condo association but people like him better than the new one so always call him. He still restores 1940 Buicks. He also does lots of volunteer work. He drives about once a week to visit me, my daughter, SIL and granddaughter when the weather is nice. He drives here as sometimes I am too exhausted to drive to his place, even though he only lives an hour away. Believe me, if he was dangerous on the road, we would take away the keys.

He complains that he does not have as much energy as he used to.

He has a cousin named Mazo, speaking of interesting names, who is 103. When she turned 100 and had to take her drivers test, she was mad as she could not drive at night anymore.

I could write a book the fascinating history of both sides of my family. I come from a long line of writers but since this DD, I am not keeping up with it except through email and this board. My sister writes an advice column for a gay newspaper even though she flaunts her heterosexuality. The column is called "Dear Aunt Stevie" which is a genderless name. Her real name is Stephanie and has always been nicknamed Stevie. She has never gotten a question, so she makes them up. The column is hysterical and the advice could really be for all people.

If you remember, I am very distantly related to Jimmy Hoffa, the black sheep of my family. Until my father's generation, relatives would never speak of this.

I almost forgot, my father, is dating a woman who is 55, five years younger than I am. While it goes against my feminist sensibilities, at his age I think he has earned the right to be happy. I don't like his gf but it has nothing to do with the age difference. He says he does not plan to ever marry again, which I am hoping as I will never let anyone younger refer to me as her stepdaughter. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Are you still awake???? Maybe I am manic. I can't seem to stop posting. Will someone just slap me?

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am impressed with your knowledge. If you don't mind my asking, are you a child of the sixties or brilliant with trivia?

ETA Maybe both?[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2009]
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I finally googled the four names, so now know what they had in common. However, what they had in common was played out several different ways.