SIXTY-TWO is Now Open!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Oct 25, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I am getting it started and will come back and post later. The other thread said that it had
    34 posts. I usually start a new thread after 30. That's the method to my madness.

I was reading a book and it seemed interesting. I looked to see what age it was for.
    I knew it was a child's. Ages 7 -12. I might read it anyway! If a person is a good
    writer, they write interesting even for children.

This is the last nite of the fam here....all leaving about 7am.

2. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Sounds like you've had a good visit.
    High winds,storms coming and a big fat cold front moving my way.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

and a few clouds... can't complain after the daily, often all day rains last summer... we're finally into the beginning of the dry season! The flowers are loving it! Well, as long as we keep them watered.

Well... stay warm everybody up north, and stay cool everybody in FL or thereabouts...

"You do not know how much they mean to me, my friends, and how how rare and strange it is, to find in a life composed so much of odds and ends… to find a friend who has these qualities, who has, and gives those qualities upon which friendship lives. How much it means that I say this to you -without these friendships - life, what cauchemar*!” T.S. Eliot

*cauchemar is "nightmare" in French, btw

4. victoria

victoria New Member

a lot of kids books are fun... very imaginative, often much more so that books written for adults I think, and without the grisly stuff thrown in.
  5. spacee

spacee Member

I have never read a book by TS Eliot. (I think it was TS) but he/she knew humankind
    very well. Thanks, Victoria!!

I love a good storm IF there is no destruction. It must have rained a lot in Birmingham
    growing up.

Boy, it is hot here. We have had the a/c down to accomodate guests not used to heat.
    So when I stepped outside about noon, I was hit with the heat.

Kids, we are now able to recyle. Isn't that just 21st century!! 20 years ago, they had
    bins at the Walmart shopping center and you could take your recyclables there. But
    they had a problem with people putting in things in the wrong bin and dropping glass
    and it breaking. So they took them away.

Eureka, we got huge garbage cans from the county. They only pick up once a week. I
    think families are going to HAVE to recyle (they will give you yellow boxes for that) or
    they are not going to get all their garbage in one time a week. Brilliant thinking.

On the fashion front. I am not enjoying the look of "wearing a blanket thrown around
    your shoulders". I see it in cataloges but I don't see anyone on tv with that look. Maybe
    I am just watching reruns and missing it. I am sure they are not wearing it on Amazing

Off to google TS Eliot.

6. bct

bct Active Member

In the heart of the redwoods....

It's a cool and damp day here, but I did get a good half hr. of sitting in the sun outside, drinking licorice tea and eating apples with my dog. She picks up windfalls, and seems to eat one a day. One of her favorite treats is avocado!

I'm still extra-tired from my trip to my onco. in the "big city" of Eureka. Big to me, anyway. And a long drive, even with me not driving. I don't know how our dear Victoria does it. Oh, I remember, -- caffeine! Anyway, good news as usual from the onco.; I'm just being monitored.

On the reading front, I have been reading a series of mysteries by Donna Leon. They are set in Venice, so good armchair-traveling. The characters are interesting, the plots not too intricate or grisly. Good reads! Otherwise I just finished a book about Pliny the Younger during his short stay in Smyrna about 75 a.d. by Albert Bell. Another good read [for those interested in historical factual fiction]. Is that an oxymoron?

Linda, we are re-cycling fanatics here -- but then this IS California, haha. I wish the garbage truck came round here. Oh no I don't! -- I just remembered the noise as they bleep down the street! Ah the joys of composting.... And then the stores here take back all the plastic bags, but I imagine they do everywhere now, don't they?

Over and Onwards,

7. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I wasn't much for licorice sticks unless they were the red ones.Same with Good n Plenty didn't like licorice flavor.Now the apple sitting outside with the dog that sounds relaxing.

I need to find some good flavored teas.The small cup of coffee in the morning leaves me feeling a little sick.Time to give it up altogether.The grocery store has generic cheap teas so need to find a good quality to entice me.

Huz is taking dad for bloodwork and I'm staying home waiting for sis number 2 from Fl. to call and chat.She works from home so I never know when to call her.

Storm picked the porch swing and tossed it in the yard but no damage.
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

Pam, that must've been some windstorm... what else, rain, hail, etc?

There are some "fake" coffees you might want to try, if you like the general flavor of coffee, btw. Sold at HF stores mostly. There used to be something the grocery stores used to sell, can't remember the name tho... was made from grains. Most have chicory in them.

Thanks for the tips on books, Barry, I'll have to see if I can find those. Right now I'm limited to audiobooks as I can download from my library in the US. :) I could download pdf books, but no fun sitting at computer and reading... not sure I'd like or want a kindle, and anyway it's not often cheap for many things to download that way. If I'm going to buy something I'd prefer it in 'hard ware" LOL.

At one house, we had a pear tree... and a dog who loved pears. He used to eat the windfall, but I also saw him leaping up to pick pears off when there were none, LOL. One of my dogs now thinks I should share any/everything with her, and will eat almost anything I hand her.

Animals are so entertaining... I think it was Georgia/Goatwoman who said her rottie opened her refrig. and got a carrot out to eat (and closed the door)? Ours tried to open our front door and almost succeeded (another 1/4"would've done it!). Dogs are so funny.

If cats had more weight behind them, I can only imagine what they would get in to tho.... they get into enough as it is, from the videos I've seen.

Another beautiful day here...
    everything is gearing up for Noche de los Muertos this weekend, it ought to be beautiful for it. I do plan on finally getting into the car to see the Artisania market in the small city nearby this Sat., may hang around to watch some of the early evening stuff (something with horses). It will also be interesting to see how many gringo tourists show up, the past 2 years have been pretty badly attended cuz of the economy, mostly.

9. spacee

spacee Member

Heart of the Redwoods. For some reason I had not tied that to you Barry. Congrats on your
    good results with the doc. I do love a good factual historical fiction! Found out about them
    in the 1990's when a lot of WWII books were being published because of the anniverary
    of D-day or one of those WWII things. It sounds awful but the one about Hitler was
    fascinating. (To me). It was more about how he rose to power. Had all the newspapers
    to tell the places he spoke and who was in addendance. I guess I do like history.

Pam I hope you and sis hook up for a nice chat while you have your break from fil.
    That was quite a storm to knock your swing off. Huz mentioned today that we have
    had no rain for the month of Oct.

I thought I was teaching my GD (3yo) a new word ....thingy. But then I heard it used
    on Sesame Street or one of those kids programs. It must be official that thing is now
    thingy. haha.

Hope the gringo tourists show up with lots of money to spend for the Noche de los Muertos.
    Sounds like a good time.

Not much going on here. Have a bit of energy so think I will straighten a closet that needs
    it. Oh, forgot, DS added checkers to the computer. It's kinda fun. Have beaten the computer
    three times....the computer has won about 10.

10. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Tonight is Trick or Treat in our small town.Thankfully huz is doing it.He's usually out of town most yrs.His dad makes a doz. trips to the door telling us to come back in or we'll catch cold lol.

Didn't get to talk to sis yesterday so maybe next week.Linda did your sister ever call you?

Victoria it rained so hard it came down sideways.Cold front is here this morning.I'm glad.I can't tolerate the constant weather changes coming through.

Huz leaves for a week to Chicago tomorrow.He asked if I wanted a visit to DD the week before Thanksgiving but I looked at airfare and it was over double as I suspected.I'll wait.Skype helps with missing them.
  11. spacee

spacee Member

Thanksgiving on the 29th. Oh, heck, if we can change all the presidential holidays around,
    why not Halloween! SOL.

I called Twin when she sent me an email about her husbands knee and hip replacements.
    She was very angry about it cause he has weighed about 350-375 for 30 years. She
    tried to break up with him before they were married about his weight. But he lost weight
    and said he would keep it down. I just let her vent and comiserated with her. Haven't
    talked since. Emailed her about the GK's trip a little bit.

Skype does help when kids are far away. Only one son does it. The others don't. Wish
    they would but they are busy. I do get texts! I am grateful for that from the one who
    is very quiet. Seems to be getting more chatty the older he gets though...there is hope.

I read on MSN the title of an article about BabyBoomers spoiling their dogs. Oh, I can
    certainly see why. Doggies seem to be as smart as toddlers (at least) and you don't have
    to change diapers :)

12. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I don't do it but huz does.His buddies communicate like that so he thinks he's pretty smart.He has never been much of a speller but texting is shorthand anyway.He's been texting the two sons regularly lately and they get a kick out of it.He isn't much for calling and they get a closer relationship this way.I won't text for that reason,I want him to be the only one to do.

Spoiling dogs for Boomers is right.We buy ours a toy or treat every time we go out.She has so many toys I have to rotate them in and out like I did with the kids toys.

My spouses family are all big people.My huz and DD and youngest son have weight issues along with their dad.Huz was real skinny when I dated him but middle age came along.Son's fiancee is a big girl.She doesn't need to feel shy about eating in this family.
  13. spacee

spacee Member

Always better when you accept people just the way they are. Nobody is perfect.
    He has worked long and hard all their 40 years of marriage....isn't that worth
    something in appreciation?

Texting. Huz has avoided cell phones, texting, digital cameras. haha. But recently
    his company got him a Droid. One of the later cell phones. He learned to take
    a pic and email it! That is more than I know how to do.

I makes me grin at the thought of our doc and huz puzzling over what BTW meant
    in a letter I sent with huz to his appt. The doc finally came up with "I think it is
    a term she uses when texting the sons". I am thankful my mother had a little
    webtv and it had a place for 'newbies' to learn the lingo. Otherwise...I would
    have no clue.

Ok, gotta run...later.

14. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I agree you have to just accept people the way they are.None of my family weighs in at 300+ it's still easy to see how that can happen.

I am dressed and shoes on thinking about actually getting in the car and dare I say it,Drive!
    Thinking about it.Need milk for dad and son works odd hrs.Mental check is needed to do this.Balance good enough,concentration ok today?Coughing out of control?Check,check and check so thank your lucky stars you don't live close to me cause away I go.
  15. spacee

spacee Member

Pam, I have sensed you have been feeling awful. I hope your trip for milk goes smoothly.
    On the other board there is a post about Immunacol. Something like that. I will check it
    later and fix the spelling. They reported that it helped their energy AND their friend with
    lupus said that it helped her's too. I have heard of the the kind that ProHealth sells
    here for years. ProHealth's was mention and another brand. One kind worked for some
    ppl and the other for other ppl. I may just order some.

I am doing better. It had gotten to be a real chore to get dressed and run an necessary
    errand. Feeling like crap is crappy.

Victoria is working on finding health insurance. Hoping you find something great! Victoria.

Tonite is a do nothing night and I am looking forward to it. We are even having pizza, so
    no cooking.

16. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I obeyed all traffic signals and concentrated.I try not to drive unless necessary.I used to love to drive and it was nice getting out by myself for a change.I can't describe what it feels like now kind of a surreal feeling that makes me nervous.I tend to zone out and go through red lights so it's not good.I have a local doc appt. on Mon. to drive to so I just need to really focus.I have little expectation he'll do anything other then refill scripts.

Linda are speaking of a vit. of some kind?

17. spacee

spacee Member

I know that feeling you are talking about. I am ok in a 15 mile radius...or to my doc's and
    back. Does feel surreal.

No, not a vitamin. Immuneplex (is what it is called in the store here) Undenatured whey
    protein. Two ratings...a 5 and a 4. $30 for 30 scoop a day in a drink..vanilla
    flavored. I think it is the drink part that is hard for me to get past.

You really should go to the store here and click on I and scroll til you see it. They have
    two kinds and this one is better rated and cheaper. It helps the immune system work.
    And one of the ways is by raising the glutithione. Something that is essential.

It's the weekend and the messageboard is set on "crawl" or "not moving". Or so it seems.

It's been back to summer weather here but the 80's are coming back soon! Can't wait.

18. victoria

victoria New Member

are crawling along on their bellies... hmmmm.... ok I'm not gonna make the obvious comparison LOL.

Spent yesterday down on the Plaza, looking at artisan stuff, somehow I get very blase about most things because I have easy access to it, can enjoy without buying, etc... LOL.

But it was a glorious day, perfect temp and partly cloudy. I love the fact that the weather here does lend itself to spending days like that almost year round (with absence of all the artisanos' tents of course).

I like the old towns of the south and of European origin because they were all built around town squares and such. Nobody does that anymore, sadly. Even the new "planned communities" just don't have that "it" factor, even tho these old towns were planned. I wonder what's missing in the modern view?

Glad you were able to make it, Pam. When I drive I often get lost in thought and go on automatic pilot - my kids used to remind me to stop at the store on the way home etc or I'd end up home, safe & sound, but without whatever we needed to pick up on the way home from school. My DH once drove the whole circle around Atlanta lost in thought...

Glad the "colder weather" will be returning to FL, Linda, LOL.

Hope everybody's having a nice "Fall" weekend, with good weather, whatever that may be in your neck of the woods...
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

I put this on the costumes thread, but IMHO it is hysterical/creative etc...

You HAVE to see these to believe them! These are pg ladies who replied to a contest by a magazine. The first ones are really spectacular...

(Anyone know anyone who is PG? She still have a chance to show off tonight... somewhere... LOL)

20. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

40's today and I have a Dr. appt.brr.Flu shot and med refills that's about all he can do for me today.

Either saw pictures or had visits from the grands and saw them in costume.So cute.Brought back memories of taking out my kids.

I read this weekend or tried to between political phone calls.Well tomorrow it will stop before they start over for 2012 right?