Skelaxin and Lyrica....helped anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been on these meds. since the 5th of this month.I take each 3 times a day. My pain is still here and the only thing that helps is the hydrocodine I have left over from a month ago.I use it only when I have to take my daugther to the dr. or need to get things done around the house.These pills are like jewels to me, they are the only things that help me.

I just wondered had anyone had success with these drugs?
    I need more than this.
    Sheila
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheila:
    I thought about asking my doctor if I could take Lyrica, but it is much like Neurontin and I had a bad experience on that. Like you, hydrocodone is the one for me. Good medicine.

nyrofan
  3. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I wish my rheumy would let me take this....
  4. jasminesmema

jasminesmema New Member

Hi All,
    I have been on Neurontin 3xday for about 18 months now. I can tell a huge difference when I run out and go without it for a week or longer! I have Skelaxin but can't see that this does much good. Used to take Baclofen 3xday which is good; however, by the 2nd dose I have a real buzz and can't function! They are advertising Cymbalta alot on tv and in magazines now for help with pain. Tried this awhile back and couldn't shake the feelings of nausea. Just started on Zoloft 3 weeks ago and actually feel good for the first time in a long time! Like everyone else I rely on Hydrocodone. I also take Celebrex. Nothing works the same on everyone!
    Love to you all! I life all of you up in prayer every a.m.!
    jasminesmema
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Skealin for the spasms in my back from when I fell down the stairs.

I still get these spams off & on & few days of skelaxin helps. I thought maybe the Skelain was helping the cramp like pains I get in my hands--but not totally sure it helps there or not.

I have been on Neurotin over a year (started it when I got a concussion in 2004) and I know it helps with the nerve pain & sometimes the pain I still get on the side of my head where I banged in on the sharp cupboard door.

I don't know anything about Lyrica
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been taking Lyrica for a few weeks now and I am pleased with it. I have had a few side effects but nothing major. It has helped with some pain, sleep and my stomach.

I definitly will be staying on this med.

Lyrica can be expensive and I don't have insurance but I did qualify for a program where I can receive it free directly from the drug company.
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I was taking , well still am, 50mg. 3 times a day.Now she wants me to take 75mg. 3 times a day.I am glad I have insurance but the copay is still very high for me.I am debating if I should just double the lyrica I am taking now and finish this bottle before I go pay more money for another perscription.

Sometimes I wonder if dr.'s realize that these new meds. are soooo exspensive.And I wonder are they just pushing these new drugs on us so they won't have to give us stronger pain meds.

I have noticed some change with my muscle spasms in my neck but I also had 2 injections of cortisone in my traps. and I am sure that help alot.

I need they hydrocodine to stop my pain.That is just the simple truth.But due to the regulation of these meds. those of us that suffer so much everyday we are ignored and looked at as if we are drug addicts.

I know these meds. can be addictive and I feel so bad for anyone that has had this problem.I grew up with an alcoholic.I am supper cautious of becoming addicted to anything.I just wish I could get the dr. to understand that.

I haven't pressed her for the hydrocodine.I am trying to play by her rules.I take my vitamins,exercise even when it hurts,take my perscribed meds. as I am suppose to and yet I am still suffering.

I don't know what to do.

Thanks for the help,
    SHeila
  8. CatofDoom

CatofDoom New Member

i've been taking Lyrica for about two or three months (about as long as i've been dx'ed, lol). i take 75mg twice daily, but that dosage isn't working very well anymore, so i'm going to be going up to 2 75's twice a day. i've noticed some side effects, appetite out of control and wooziness (i get a little silly on it, actually).

i've taken skelaxin for a back injury, i like it a lot. it helped with the pain and spasms but didn't make me too terribly drowsy (or 'stupid' as i like to call it).

hope that helps!
    =^.^=
  9. signal20

signal20 New Member

I have been taking Skelaxin for almost 2 months, and it seems to help just a bit. I have been taking Lyrica for less than 1 month, and only 75mg 1x day (at night). I guess the Dr wants to see how I react to it, since I tend to be very sensitive to anything I take. I can't really tell if it's helping, but I don't love the side effects. Swollen hands, weight gain (already)! Can anyone advise how long before the side effects stop?