Skelaxin - pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GettSmartt, Jun 1, 2003.

1. GettSmartt

GettSmartt New Member

I'm already taking Neurontin, Topamax, Celexa, Extra-Strength Tylenol and the Lorazepam -- the last two so that I can get out and sit through a church service and Bible study without too much pain from muscle spasms in coccyx area. But I'm wondering about Skelaxin -- would it be better than the lorazepam (a.k.a. atavan?) What are the pros and cons to Skelaxin -- does it make you depressed like the lorazepam does -- that's why I don't like taking it often -- although it helps more than all the rest of the crap I have to take. Thanks for any info you can give!
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I use Skelaxin occasionally to relax my muscles at bedtime. I took it regularly at one time but it seemed to lose it's effectiveness so I keep it for when I really need it.I had no side effects from it that I know of.

My mom has taken low doses of Ativan for 25 years and at 76 seems to have no problems from it.
    Good luck
  3. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

why Neurotonin and Celexa, arent they both SSRis?
    actually looks like u might be taking 3 anti depressants?
  4. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I tried skelaxin a few times in the past. It had little to no effect relaxing my muscles. I take Soma now.
  5. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I took skelaxin for awhile due to bad muscle spasms in my feet. It helped a little, but not for long. Also, it was considered a nonformulary brand name for my prescription plan, and given my other drug expenses and the availability of alternatives, it didn't make sense for me to continue it.

The one good thing about it was it didn't put me to sleep (during the day) or make me groggy first thing in the morning. Actually, lorazapam worked the best for me, but docs don't like to prescribe it since it is related to valium and could be addictive. Funny what they worry about, isn't it?
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I have no experience with Skelaxin. However, I have
    tried Soma and Flexeril and Zanaflex. Zanaflex is the
    best I have ever used for muscle relaxant. I also
    like xanax for that purpose.

Lynn
  7. GettSmartt

GettSmartt New Member

Thanks princessraye -- I'm glad to hear that you had no bad side-effects from the Skelaxin, but I'm sorry to hear that it lost its effectiveness for you when you took it regularly! I'm glad your Mom has no problems with Ativan -- I got kind of dependent on it -- and very anxious with trying to withdraw from it -- so now I try to use it very sparingly.

Hi ladybird1 -- I read about Soma -- the literature on it kind of scares me -- so I probably won't ask my doc about it. I'm sorry the Skelaxin didn't work for you -- but at least it didn't hurt you! That's a plus (smile).

Hi stillfighting -- I'm glad to hear that the skelaxin doesn't make you groggy since everything else I take does! Well, as far as addiction and lorazepam goes -- it IS addictive! And I thought I could get around that by taking just a bit every day -- doesn't matter -- your body gets used to THAT -- and wants THAT every day!

Hi applyn59 -- thanks for the info. on zanaflex. I think my doctor mentioned that one too.

Thanks everyone for answering -- I appreciate your remarks! I think I'll try the Skelaxin.
  8. GettSmartt

GettSmartt New Member

Hi amykaiser,
    You asked why I was taking Neurontin and Celexa -- are they both SSRIs? As far as I know Celexa is the only SSRI that I'm taking (smile). Neurontin and Topamax are AEDs (Anti-Epileptic Drugs)which I am taking for the pain I get from the muscle spasms in my coccyx area.