SKIN CRACKING OPEN........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HOUSEOFBLUES, Dec 9, 2002.

1. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Anyone experiencing their skin cracking on their hands?
    My hands right now are so horrible looking, they are dry and all cracked and cut open and bleeding and they burn.
    I go thru this every winter but this time it's the worst.
    (I live in chicago)
    Funny thing tho, I haven't been out of the house!
    I've tried every kind of hand cream and still cannot get any lasting relief and healing.
    Anyone else have this and what do you recommend?

THANKS,
    HOB
  2. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Anyone experiencing their skin cracking on their hands?
    My hands right now are so horrible looking, they are dry and all cracked and cut open and bleeding and they burn.
    I go thru this every winter but this time it's the worst.
    (I live in chicago)
    Funny thing tho, I haven't been out of the house!
    I've tried every kind of hand cream and still cannot get any lasting relief and healing.
    Anyone else have this and what do you recommend?

THANKS,
    HOB
  3. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I use Avon hand cream for extremely dry skin. This is the best thing that I have found. My husband also uses this. The cost is less than $3.00/tube and a tube will last for 3-4 months. I also us this for my feet that is extremely rought and it really helps.
  4. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Hi,

Rosetta had a good idea. I've used that lotion myself and it's really good.

Another one to try is Corn Huskers Lotion. I don't know if you can find it. I'm originally from the South and we used it all the time starting in the Fall.

With winter here, the dry heat from your house could be a major cause of your problem. Plus you need to drink lots of water too.

Hope this helps.

Kathy
  5. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

just a thought when this happens to me in the winter .At night when i go to bed i will put the hand cream on then a pair of gloves seems to help a bit . may be you could try
  6. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Horrible dry skin on my face as well. What helps a lot is to take your favorite lotion and add tea tree oil to it. Rub it in (my prob areas are hands & feet) and put on old gloves and socks overnite. It really helps. You can add it to Vaseline as well and do the same thing.
    Hope this helps.
    Lanie
  7. achy

achy New Member

It gets really red and dry...and crack and bleeds too.
    The only thing that's worked for me is the Neutrogena hand cream $3.00 tube and a little goes a long way. I also use vaseline and have the tee tree oil so I'm gunna try that too.
    I've had a toe nail fungus and afraid to use Lamisil. Started the Tee tree oil and it is clearing up!
    I am so embarrased of my hands...they hurt like the dickens, look red, wrinkly and swollen, and some of my fingers are crooked...and I'm only 41. But doc says theres nothing wrong...yeah right.
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I have suffered with this for years, and not only in the winter..When mine get real bad, I use Aquaphor ( a healing ointment for dry cracked skin and minor burns)..It is a product of Eucerine..I will either wear gloves after putting it on, or if it's just a couple of fingers, I will cover with a bandaid..I find I get relief within about 3 days..I know you can find it at more drug stores over the counter, probably places like Wal-Mart too..
    Hope this helps......Take Care........Donna
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Cracked skin is so painful. My heels get so bad and
    nothing seems to help. I do use Aveena lotion with
    oatmeal and that is a better lotion then most for extreme-
    ly dry skin. My PA recommended it to me.
  10. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

my hands crack & bleed. Lotion only helps for a second but cotton gloves & vaseline overnite really helps. Although that eucerine cream someone mentioned works really well its just as messy & more $ than good 'ol vaseline. Give it a try.
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The way to permanently fix the problem is from the inside. I would add to what her Naturopath told her, that sometimes a deficiency of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) can cause this, esp. if you also have cracks at the corners of your mouth.
    While the nutrition is getting a chance to work, I'll throw in a pitch for my two favorite lotions:
    1. Eucerin
    2. Dr. Sholl's Cracked Skin Repair Cream

Klutzo
  12. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

All of you have given so much good advice.
    I'm going to purchase all these things (along with the cotton gloves) and try each one until I find the right one.

My hands thank you so much,
    love,
    HOB
  13. selma

selma New Member

Look under search messages "skin" without the quotes.
    You will find many of us have had this Ukkkk.
    Love, Selma
  14. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

but more on my feet and so if I walk the skin on my heels cracks and bleeds. So I found a lotion with avacado oil in it at Victorias secret. The vanilla. So its not too strong. I have a very hard time with heavy perfume smells. The avacado oil seems to really have a long lasting effect and doesn't dry out fast.

I put it on right after the bath and then cover my hands in cotten gloves. Evening ritual. On my feet before I get out of the bath I use a scrub like loafa and then the lotion and put socks on. It seems to be the weather thats causing me the new problems.

The last thing I do is drink at least 4 8oz glasses of water everyday and that seems to knock it out.

Mslo
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2002]
  15. kay

kay New Member

tried all the above, and the only thing that helps me is blue star ointment, you can get at a drug store. ou cab probably get it at walmart k-mart etc. I ahave AlWAYS had trouble with mt feet cracking and hands cracking, but not as bad as the feet. This is great and like I said is the ONLY things that has worked.
  16. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

My hands crack and bleed horribly in the winter. The tips of my fingers will split open. If I handle things I'll bleed all over them. No idea how to prevent it. The only thing that seems to work are disposable gloves for when I do things like cooking to keep from bleeding on the food. This is very frustrating. As soon as the weather warms up my hands are okay again. Often wondered if it might be related to all my other problems with this illness. I think one leading researcher mentioned something about the need to drink lots of fluids to keep from becoming dehydrated. Maybe that has something to do with the dryness of the skin.
  17. pearls

pearls New Member

I have several routines. One is to rub Vasoline liberally over both hands, pull on some latex gloves and leave them on for awhile. It takes 30 minutes for me to get to work, so that's just about enough time for a treatment.

However, I get lazy - or my skin just gets mad at me, I guess, and I'll pop out with cracked skin around the nails. When this happens, I pour on hydrogen peroxide (to keep from getting infected), rub a bit of antibiotic cream into the crack, cover with a bandaid, and rub vasoline on the rest of the skin.

About the hydrogen peroxide: I love to garden. About two years ago - in my infinite lack of wisdom - I stuck my bare hand down into some potting soil. I got a sore near my nail that became infected. After 5 days of a drip antibiotic, a long course of an antibiotic pill, and a year of an antifungal cream, my infection cleared up! I recommend the hydrogen peroxide. Gloves are good, too.

About gloves: Costco sells Kimberly-Clark's Safeskin PF Preferred textured laytex exam gloves. They are the best laytex gloves I've ever tried. They are, in fact, so strong I often use just them for gardening (carefully, of course). But I like the comparatively ungloved feeling of exam gloves. My dermatologist would prefer for me to wear TWO pairs of gloves when gardening - the outer pair being a long, gauntlet style made of thick rubber. That's what SHE wears. I mention it because this may also apply to all of you. She says we have to be careful because of our weakened immune systems. (She doesn't have a weakened immune system, by the way.)
  18. jeridoreen

jeridoreen New Member

i have dry skin all over and it itches because of the histamines right under the skin. I take 50 mg of Atarax at bed time for the itchiing...Avon has a lotion called Moisture Therapy that is excellent...Lubridrem is also good. For your feet if you do not have a sore, put Vasoline on them and a heavy sock for as many days as it takes.You could do this with your hands.

Jeri
  19. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hob--I worked outside all winter for many years at a racehorse breeding facility. The combination of the cold and water that I was in contact with during vet exams etc, left my hands in the shape you describe.
    Believe it or not if you will go to a feed store, or vet supply and get "bag balm" use this and cotton gloves, it will clear up, and continue to use it for maintenance.
    Bag balm, contains lanolin, and is used on livestock udders when they become cracked, chapped and irritated, from the cold, wet, and manipulation. Another good product are the "hoof moisturizing preparations" for horses. They too have loads of lanolin and other moisturizers. The bag balm is the best. Then cover with gloves to retain moisture, and keep hands away from the elements.
    Stay away from the "womens" lotions that contain fragrance, and too much alchohol....they are more drying.
    Karen
  20. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

You have all supplied me with a lot of good advice.
    I really appreciate it.

Love,
    HOB