Skin Fungal Infections and CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Feb 24, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I have a problem and wanted to ask:

Are skin fungal infections (scalp and face) common with CFS?

nyrofan
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Hi,I found this report and posted it .So I thought you might like to check it out.

Sue

your skin burn or itch? Do you frequently get rashes that just won’t go away? According to Charles Lapp, M.D., who treats hundreds of people with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) at his center in Charlotte, NC, “FMS-related rashes occur in the majority of patients that I see.” Lapp, along with another experienced physician, Daniel Wallace, M.D., of UCLA, offer their clinical advice about the possible causes and potential treatments for your skin-related problems in the October 2006 issue of the Fibromyalgia Network Journal. But first, learn about the research behind these symptoms.

Research on FMS Skin Sensitivities
    What is it about your skin and its related tissues that make them so sensitive? Studies during the past 20 years may help explain why your skin is such a nagging issue.

Xavier Caro, M.D., of Northridge, CA, performed most of the early research in this field to show that there was a high concentration of immune-reactive proteins in the area just beneath the surface of the skin. He theorized that these proteins had escaped through larger-than-normal pores in the blood vessels supplying the skin, and they could be a source of immunological reactions because the body would view them as “foreign” substances in the skin tissues (i.e., it is not normal for these proteins to pass through the blood vessels).
    Although Caro’s findings point to an immunological disruption in the skin of patients with FMS, they are commonly seen in conditions where the microcirculation (the capillaries and small blood vessels) has undergone changes. In 2004, Haiko Sprott, M.D., of Switzerland, reported that the number of capillaries in the skin of FMS patients were significantly reduced and irregular in shape. The amount of blood flow to the peripheral tissues (such as the skin) was substantially reduced as well.
    A Swedish team found a fourfold increase in the number of mast cells in the skin of FMS patients. Mast cells, part of the immune system, are filled with many chemicals such as histamine and cytokines (both can cause painful irritation in the surrounding tissues when released from the mast cells). Neurological impulses can cause mast cells to dump their contents (degranulate), eliciting a neuro-immune response. The authors of this study point out that, perplexingly, the mast cells are degranulated in areas where the skin looks “normal.” In other words, the surface of the skin does not convey the immunological, neurological, and blood flow abnormalities that are occurring in the tissues below!
    Taken together, the above findings may help explain why you are often troubled with rashes that are difficult-to-treat. Even if the skin appears normal on the surface, there is a lot going on beneath the surface to fuel your skin irritations and itchy/burning sensations.

[This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  3. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I had terrible rashes on my scalp and chin that would just not go away. I tried everything, and consulted a doctor more than a few times. These were oozy, itcy, scaling sores that would just start to heal up, then break out again.

Then, I happened to stumble on to a diet that helped a lot with my FM symptoms. For me, this was getting rid of all wheat and corn, but from what I've read, various food items can cause problems for people with FM. The rashes continued however, and so I thought they weren't related. However, after about six months on my diet, they disappeared. Since then, I've found by experimenting (going off my diet for a few days, for example) that these seem to be triggered by either the wheat or corn. So now I stick to my diet, and no more rashes (what a relief!).

I did read in all my research about this that people with celiac (gluten allergy) disease will sometimes develop a rash called dermatitis herpetiformis. This seemed to be similar to the rash I got, and the gluten/wheat problems seemed to fit. However, then I got tested for celiac (extensively) and everything came back negative. So, WHAT??
    I guess I just decided to listen to my body instead of the tests and do what seemed to be working for me, which is no wheat or corn.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I was just going to write about this on another post.

I have sensitive skin in general, but finally found some products that worked well with it.

However, after starting on my antiviral, my face has been perpetually red and slightly blotchy looking. I have chalked that up to stress.

However, recently people were talking about how coconut oil can kill various pathogens (yeast and viruses, maybe bacteria), and how using it on the skin can be helpful.

I had some coconut oil I bought a while ago but couldn't use internally because of an allergy. So I decided to mix a very small amount of it with my regular face cream.

After a day or so, the redness disappeared entirely. (It's just been a week now, but so far so good.)

Apparently bacteria can cause skin problems (which is why antibiotics are prescribed sometimes), so perhaps fungi and viruses can too.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but coconut oil isn't very expensive to try.

Best, Lisa

5. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Does anyone have"tiny" white bumps on their skin?
    Mine appeared and have stayed for 3 yrs now. FMS for 12 yrs. My hands and feet the most. My prim. dr. said, hmm I don't know. Haven't gone to a dermotologist, tired of drs for the time being, planning on going one day though.
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Red blotchy flushed appearance on my cheeks and chest after sleeping (all night or just a nap)
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

for several decades (since my 20's and am now near 60).

Tinea Versicolor is a skin fungus that is in itself harmless, but annoying. It causes patches of skin (usually on shoulder, back and neck) to lose pigment, then become hyper-pigmented...outbreaks are usually related to heat, humidity and stress. It can be controlled with any epidermal anti-fungal cream, but (in my case) has come back again and again over these many years.

I've often wondered if it's presence is in any way related to my fm/cfs (somewhere along the spectrum) condition. I suspect that my weakness to this skin disorder is related to the general wackiness of my immune system.
  8. Amethyst77

Amethyst77 New Member

I have noticed that I get what looks like very small fatty tumors under the skin, usually just on the face around the chin, right before my period each month they sometimes itch, they get larger, and sometimes painful, and then they become almost un noticeable until the same time the next month, does anyone else have this happen?

Also another skin irratation would be the top of my feet... start itching like an allergic reaction I scatch hard enough to leave sores and scares, but only usually on the top of my feet. these skin conditions have started in just the last few months, can anyone identify?

are these any of the skin conditions you were talking about nyrofan?

p.s. also have bumps come up under hair that look like pimples (sorry no other way to say it) that get infected and some that just won't go away, but that isn't what they are.

if anyone has any insight on any of this I would love to hear about it.
  9. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

bringing up Meleleuca, but it's entirely relevant! I use Melaleuca oil (T36-C5) on any mystery rashes that pop up because it has anti-viral, anti-fungal AND anti-bacterial properties. I often never find out what caused the rash, but it usually goes away ;)
    Anyone with scalp rashes might consider using a shampoo containing melaleuca (aka tea-tree) oil. (It also help to prevent your kids from bringing lice home lol)