skin hurts to the touch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by millennia, Nov 21, 2005.

1. millennia

millennia New Member

Just wondering if you guys have the same problem. It is like my skin is one big bruise. Some days I can't take any touch at all, it even hurts when I lightly scratch my arm, or accidentally touch a sheet of paper against my belly. The sides of my arms are the worst, they hurt all the time. But on bad days every inch of my skin hurts. Anyone else?
  2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I was just noticing today when my cat jumped up in my lap how much just the pressure of her walking on my legs hurt and then it seemed like the pressure of my clothing was much worse than normal. Our weather was really awful today so I suppose that had something to do with how awful I have felt. Somedays even the pressure of a sheet on the bed is too much to endure.
    Stinker56
  3. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

I feel the same thng. I notice the pain more on my belly button, inner thighs and inner arms. On flare up days I can't stand the feeling of my clothes or sheets. Its enough to drive you crazy. I thought I was the only one who felt this.
  4. piebear

piebear New Member

Yea I have that too. I don't have it all the time but sometimes I can't stand anything or anyone touching me. I feel bruised and like my skin has a sun burn. And it varies on where on my body it is and how many places. I do notice it more on my belly, thighs and arms though. I haven't really tried anything for it since it doesn't happen all the time, but I've heard there are creams to help sooth the skin.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2005]
  5. kch64

kch64 New Member

Yes, sometimes it's like that. sorry you're feeling so much pain.
  6. lin123

lin123 New Member

I would mention this to your Doctor. I have the same thing. It would even hurt to wear clothes. I thought it was just FM. My Doctor said he thinks I have RSD. Doctor has done a complete blood work to rule out anything else first.
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

My Doctor seemed to think it was the fibromyalgia.
  8. darvick

darvick New Member

Is my saying sometimes, I feel like my neck and shoulders are on fire. Burning tingling fun fun
    Dar
  9. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

My son and daughter have this with Lyme
  10. AnnieKidwell

AnnieKidwell New Member

I'm like that everyday. I feel like my whole body is bruised.

Take care,
  11. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Oh yeah! I can relate to that one!..

Mine just started again with the onset of winter weather here! I hadn't had it all summer tho. So I blame the weather for alot of my changing symptoms. It'll get so bad sometimes ... even my hair hurts...!

Life is good.....
  12. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I feel so bad because my little girl always wants to sit on me or cuddle and it is excruciatingly painful. The slightest touch feels awful. I had my blood pressure taken yesterday and I practically went through the roof with pain.
  13. Musica

Musica New Member

I've heard that even wearing clothes or sheets on the bed can hurt. I haven't been that sensitive, but some days my skin is more sensitive. I can't stand light massages, or those vibrating massage cushions for chairs, they give me the creepy crawlies. Although a massage with force feels great! You know those pronged things they sell now to massage your head? Someone tried it on me and I cringed from it! I do just remembering how those things feel! I guess those are similar things?

Also, when rheumy did a pseudo- or pre-FM test, he kind of tickled all the way down my back and buttocks. It all hurt as my skin was extra sensitive then, although it did hurt a bit more in the tender point spots. I guess on the more sensitive days, the skin can be like that. I have noticed recently that sometimes I get itchy but when I scratch, it does hurt.

Since the experts are now tending to say that FM is connected to over-stimulated pain centers that cause things to hurt that normally wouldn't, I guess it makes sense. I think sensitive skin would be a result of nerve endings being jangled, and an especially low pain threshold at the time.[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2005]
  14. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

yes, at times (all year long) my skin is just so painful! i noted that a few of you mentioned the skin on your belly gets that way a lot. i have never experienced these painful sensations on my belly; it's usually down my left leg usually starting from the buttock area and travels down the leg.

somebody mentioned a cream that helps?? what kind of cream?

yes, the weather flares this symptom up for me...it's getting pretty cold here in new england now and almost expect a few weather related 'episodes' to begin.

hope everyone has a wonderful and flare-free thanksgiving. :)
  15. millennia

millennia New Member

I feel so badly when I cringe from the pain when my daughter hugs me. How do you explain that to a little kid. It is good to know I'm not alone.
  16. Remnant

Remnant New Member

When I saw someone post that their skin felt sun burnt and their flesh bruised, my jaw dropped!
    I've been telling people this for so long, and they all look at me like I'm nutso.
    I had to read this post to my husband, and show him, that another human being used MY standard description!!

Here's what I've used to describe my body pain.
    It's like I have a rusty skeleton, bruised flesh and sun burnt skin.

I am so happy I decided to give this board a chance. I've cried almost every other time I've come here now...
  17. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Just last week I had a few days where every inch of my skin hurt from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. It's a burning feeling, like my skin is sun burnt, yet the pain goes deeper. If I have a little itch and forget and scratch it hurts. I could feel the pain inside my nose when I breath. I get it on my scalp as well and it hurts to brush my hair.

This is all still new to me and the burning pain just started a couple of months ago. Wearing certain clothes bothers me on days when it is really bad. I got a new sweater and it was fine when I wore it with a long sleeve shirt, but then I wore it with a short sleeve shirt and it was too rough and scratchy on my skin. The tags around the neck really bother me now and so does wearing one bra verses another.

My husband was ready to give me a big bear hug and I said "don't touch me please I'm too sore". He was a little shocked by my sudden outburst, but I had to say it quick because I really didn't want to be touched cause I was so tender and sore.

I wish there was something to make this go away. I've never been so sensitive like this before.

I've been wondering is this just fibro pain or is it nerve pain?

I didn't realize others had this same problem, I thought it was just me.

If anyone finds anything that helps please share it.

Jeanette
  18. kch64

kch64 New Member

when this FM first started for me several years ago, I was having terrible burning pain with sore skin. I had a battery of Neuro tests and they all came back negative. It was really horrible. I still have it, but not as bad THANK GOD.
    Sometimes it feels like your skin is crackling, burning on the inside. Sometimes my feet feel like when they get frozen in winter until the are almost numb and then you come in out of the cold, and they start to warm up and its an itchy, burning, frost-bitten type of feeling.
    I was telling my friend who also has FM, it's layers of pain, not just one type.
    burning, aching, stabbing. YUCK someone has to find out whats causing this. All of us can't be having these same symptoms for no reason at all. This is nuts.