Skin numb, burning & painful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Dec 25, 2009.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I'm not sure if this is a fibro thing or not. I had developed a painful area on the skin of the front of my(ample) belly a few days ago. It felt extremely sore, like a bad bruise, yet it felt numb and sometimes itched. All at the same time. Over the past few days, the numbness spread from the front, to my side, then around to my back. All at about waist level. It is very uncomfortable, still a bit itchy, but it is too sore to scratch.

I've never had anything like this before! I have other numb areas on my skin, which I assumed was due to diabetic neuropathy. I should mention that I give myself insulin injections in my belly, once per day.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Donna M
  2. rocky76

rocky76 Member

It has happened since I had Shingles...

I take Neurontin for this....

I have to turn my velour pants and tops
    inside out so the soft velour is against my skin...

Its a real fashon statement....

It sounds like shingles as you say
    its going from your belly to your back......

Like its following a nerve and thats what
    shingles will do...

[This Message was Edited on 12/26/2009]
  3. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Thanks for your reply, Rocky. I keep examining the area looking for any skin abnormalties, but don't see anything except a couple of red dots on my lower back. My back is the most itchy, too. In some areas, I feel something similar to a thin rope under my skin, that goes horizontally.

I've never had shingles. I wonder if this means I'm about to get them, though. The area is SO sensitive. I don't know how skin can feel numb, itchy, sensitive and painful all at the same time! It's crazy.

Thank you for your imput!
    Donna M
  4. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Any other ideas? Do you all think it's a fibro symptom?

Though shingles does sound very likely.
  5. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have this problem with my hands and feet but your problem may be something else. I would suggest you see your dr. because this sounds like it may be a serious problem.