SKIN PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sherrydenice, May 4, 2004.

1. sherrydenice

sherrydenice New Member

I have posted on here before about my skin pain but, I just thought I'd kind of get a headcount on who else feels this.

My skin HURTS - not all the time but, alot! It feels like it's raw and burned or something! From head to toe sometimes... somtimes just my face. Today, it's head to toe. I have been told that it is a FMS symptom; however, I have not been told "you have FMS." I do not suffer from severe muscle pain. But, I do feel achy all over alot. It's more when I stand up from setting down or kneeling down or when I first get up in the morning. But, for the most part my main complain is my skin hurting!!!!

Does anyone else have this? Is it constant? Is it everyday? Is it all day long? Can you explain yours?

Oh, and one more thing.... is there anything to relieve it other than relaxing? When I go home and relax at night (after work) I feel better. Laying down at night I feel fine.

Thanks!

Sherry
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2004]
  2. Xausted01

Xausted01 New Member

I have that also. It was especially bad in the winter, when the cold air would hit me. It would hurt so badly. If I put my hands in cold water or touch anything cold, it feels like the same sensation as if my hands were too cold and I put them in hot water. I feel very over-sensitive to cold.

My skin does sometimes burn on its own also. Mainly on my face. I went through an episode about 2 months ago where my nose felt like it was sunburned. This was very odd to me since, at the time, it had been raining for a week, and I hadn't been outside anyway.

I have no hints on how to deal with this. I just try to avoid irritating factors, but it sounds like yours hurts on its own.

Sheri
  3. Rosario

Rosario New Member

Thankfully, this symptom is not one of my 'usual' though it does kick in once in a while. When it's bad, it even hurts to have blankets over me.

I saw, while looking through a medical appliance store, a gizmo that holds the bed blankets up & away from your body. I hate to think of needing one of those, but it's nice to know there's something available for those who suffer with this symptom on a regular basis.

Best Regards, Rose
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Or acidy feeling.

Very common in FM.
  5. sherrydenice

sherrydenice New Member

Sunburn.... scraped.... raw....

That's how I explain it. What is it? What causes this pain? What can we do about it?

Sherry
  6. sherrydenice

sherrydenice New Member

7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have that achy feeling all over a lot, but today, my skin on my lower back on one side feels like it is burnt. Funny this post should come up today!

I told my daughter this morning that I felt like someone had rubbed my back with sandpaper!

I have tender spots all over my back today, as a matter of a fact. I have not been having too much pain for the past few days, so maybe this is a flare for me. The hot shower this morning helped alot with my one very tender spot, but the skin still feel raw. It is not so bad that I can't sit down or wear clothes though. Thank goodness, because I am at work!!!

LOL
    Sonya
  8. squirtpepper

squirtpepper New Member

I have the feeling like I have boils under my skin on my arm. The sun seems to aggravate this. And my arms itch, and when I scratch them it really stings. Sometimes when I scratch the bumpy, swollen areas they bleed. Very weird.

Is this what you have or is your "weird symptom" something else.
  9. JustAmy

JustAmy New Member

I've posted about this before. Didn't get many relies. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one.

When I get my burning sensations it started on the top of my head. Hurt so bad I couldn't touch my hair. That lasted for a good month or more.

Then it just went away. Some time later I felt the burn on my back. Then it moved to my legs. But ever more than one spot at a time.

Wish I new what caused this!

Amy
  10. jackiesmum

jackiesmum New Member

burning,tingling,stinging....all over sometimes,in patches sometimes. Feet always. Scalp tender and burning.Tongue always as if scalded.I think that it's one of the worst symptoms. Only cold works for me, heat sends me mad so I wear sandals all year if I can. Cold water,ice, cold air all help! Take care Lynda C.
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

Sometimes my skin feels like it is sunburned, especially on my face. Most of the time it feels bruised especially on my arms and thighs. Sometimes it feels numb, sometimes raw and scraped.

I too was told this is an FM symptom. My sister was told she has FM even though she does not have much pain except when getting up from a sitting or lying position. There are varying degrees of FM and CFS. What one person can do, another can only dream about, but they might both have CFS and/or FM.

Pepper
  12. sherrydenice

sherrydenice New Member

IS THERE ANY EXPLANATION FOR THIS PAIN? HAS ANYONE'S DOCTORS TOLD THEM?

WHAT KIND OF MEDICATION RELIEVES IT?

SHERRY
  13. sherrydenice

sherrydenice New Member

14. coop1952

coop1952 New Member

I also have skin sensitivity. That was one of my first indications that something was wrong. It seems to be getting worse as years go on. For those who can't stand a blanket or anything on their skin, there is a condition called RSD that one of the symtoms is skin sensitivity. There is some belief that it could be related to fibro. It is a neurolgical problem of the the nervous system and burning pain is common also. If any of you have terrible burning pain and can't stand something on your skin on a particular part of your body, I would check with your rhematologist.I don't think fibro can get that bad.My doctor at one point thought I might be developing RSD.(Reflex sympathetic dystrophy)
  15. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I can see why Dr. Kevorkian helped some FM people get put to sleep.
  16. deedeej

deedeej New Member

I have had this since the first onset to my FMS. I thought it was fron the medication but now I think it was the first symptom. It itches so bad I screem. I have tried lots of creams and have found the Aveeno loiton for itching, poison ivy ect. to be the only thing that really works. In a pinch I use Gold Bond Medicated (to cut down the infection from scratching.)
    If anyone else has any good remidies I would love to hear it.
    Thanks
    Dee
  17. 8bears

8bears New Member

Yes, I also have this sometimes only at times it feels like my fingertips are blistered, my skin will also burn, no fun.

8bears
  18. patches25

patches25 New Member

Yes, I have skin pain---burning and stinging as if it is seared. I get the most reprieve when I soak in a hot tub of water. I do 20 minute soaks.

Also, if I keep my skin covered at all times it is not quite as bad. Any breeze will make the burning worse.

Sometimes I have wondered if tylenol products make it worse for me. Maybe there is something you are sensitive too.

Oh, how can we all have the same complaints for a disease that "doesn't exist".

Soft hugs to all of you. E.

19. Megumi

Megumi New Member

What you describe I call 'skin burn'. If you go up to the left hand corner of the screen and do a search under 'skin burn' you will find several posts about it.

I have had it since the onset of my FM - 30+years. I get it mostly on my arms or legs, sometimes on my body. For a while the docs thought it was a nerve reaction to the stress on the connective tissues or muscles. Don't know if that's still what they think. I know I'll get it if I sit for a particulary long period of time. I also use it as a "sign" that I'm pushing myself into a flare and slow myself down.

Some days it hits me in small patches, helter skelter, anywhere. Sometimes it will start out in a small patch and then spread throughout the day until it covers the entire arm or leg.

Both my daughter and my sister get it also. My sister also has Lupus but puts it more to her FM.

What to do for it? We still haven't figured that one out except to tell ourselves, "This too shall pass".

Hope it helps knowing you aren't alone in this.

Megumi

20. snuggle

snuggle New Member

and possibly essential fatty acids and maybe getting on natural thyroid? My cracked and dry heels have improved. But for sure the Vit B12 helps. I take it once a week and by the end of the week, I am sure to get the next installment.