Skin problems with Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klee4au1, Jun 24, 2008.

1. klee4au1

klee4au1 New Member

I was diagnosed with fibro almost 3 years ago. I haven't been taking any medication other than Mirapex (for RLS), Trazadone and Zoloft and have managed okay. The one ongoing problem I have had is skin problems. I'm not referring to your average acne. These are almost like sores that eventually scab over and scar. I am covered in small (some large) dark spots. I'm embarrassed to wear shorts and/or a bathing suit. I have read that skin problems can be associated with fibro. Is that in fact true? If so, what can I do about it?

I attempted to see a dermatologist yesterday and had a HORRIFIC experience. (He had me strip down to my undies, examined me and then refused to treat me using the excuse that he was outside of my 'network' (insurance.) I called my insurance company today and they stated they confirmed full payment of services on two different occasions with the Dr's office. That means the Dr. lied to me.) I don't know why he didn't want to treat me, but he didn't so now I'm back to square one.
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I would report him immediately to your state medical board. Unless he is a one man show and his own receptionist, she (he) will be the one to deal with the insurance question. Usually they go over all of that when you call to make the appointment. If you were out of network, you would have been told LONG before you were asked to disrobe.

Did he give you a gown to cover yourself or just ask you to take it off to the panties and leave yourself uncovered? Was he a little too "hands on" during the exam? Something just isn't right, this smacks of sexual abuse. If it was me, I would report him to the medical board and your insurance company because chances are, you aren't the first.

I am so sorry you were subjected to such a horrifying experience cloaked in the name "doctor". My dermatolgist is a wonderful man and his 'full body' check is always prefaced with "may I look at.......".

To finally answer your question, I have painful acne around my mouth and chin that doesn't scab over but it scars terribly. It seems as soon as one stops hurting and scars, another one crops up. I've never had acne in my life with the exception of a pimple here and there. My chin is beginning to look like a land mine. The dermatologist is on my increasingly growing list of doctors to visit.

Good luck and keep trying, there are doctors out there who do care about people.

3. poets

poets Member

This dermatologist was way out of bounds. He should be reported. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

As far as skin rashes and scarring go, it seems to be a part of Fibro. I get dark rashes that itch, flat rashes, pale and raised rashes, all kinds, and I have no idea why. A few months ago I started a thread on scarring and found that a lot of us have a problem with that as well. My arms especially look awful. I have a problem with neurodermatitis too. It can certainly be miserable at times.

4. Toga

Toga Member

except never on my face. (Thank you Lord!)

I was having these problems several years ago (before the FM dx.) I finally agreed to skin tests by a Dermatologist.

I am allergic to almost everything. They did skin tests on my back. I had to find so many new things to use to substitute for what I had been using.

Unscented Dove Soap, Unscented Vaseline Lotion. Aveda Hair Products (They have a nice smell.) Toothpaste without the sudsing ingredient, etc. etc. etc.

It took a long time to figure it all out but I do pretty good now. I even carry my own hand soap to use in public restrooms.

I'm also slightly allergic to a lot of metals. So I don't wear jewelry most of the time. I can wear it for a while but a long day and it will start irritating me. And I love jewelry.

I do believe its part of FM for a lot of people. So many aggravations. . . . . .

5. Exfa

Exfa New Member

Hi..........yes I do have problems with face has a "lupus rash" look to it all the time...very red and inflamed and I get really bad skin rashes on my back, arms, and now a bad one on my abdomen. I just went to the dr today and he just "stared" at it and at first thought it might be shingles then decided it wasn't and finally prescribed a cream that costs $65 that I am to use for 4 weeks. When I do get this rashes it usually sends me into a major flare with extreme fatigue and pain. I am happy to know that I am not alone. Exfa
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I went thru bad acne for years, now it turns out one of the best things you can use is......liquid milk of magnesia. What a deal at the 99cent store. Look it up on the internet. I use it now under my makeup. When it turns white just take a kleenix and wipe off the white and put on your makeup.