Skin rashes and itching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GrannyOf4, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GrannyOf4

GrannyOf4 New Member

Does anyone else have trouble with severe itching? This is driving me crazy. If so, what are you doing to get relief? I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 4 months and the itching started about two months ago. I also have severe sweating.
  2. kellyl

kellyl New Member

Hi, I have the severe rashes without the itching but it seems to coincide with different medications i try or antibiotics. But i am going though severe sweats at night, waking up absolutely swimming, wondering if its hormones. Goodluck another horrible thing to put up with.
  3. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

It could be that both the itching and the sweating have the same cause - your body is attempting to get rid of some sort of toxins.

A very gentle treatment for itching is to make a thick mix of bicarbonate of soda and water and keep patting it on. The good thing is that it will not aggraviate the itching no matter what is causing it.

I went through a stage of rashes and itching in various places when I first became ill. This gradually cured itself but I still have daily sweating. In my case it is not hormonal - but I wish they could find a definite cause rather than just "toxic reaction"

p.s. Drink lots of water........
  4. sascha

sascha Member

and actually this phase lasted for quite a while. it wasn't constant, but i went to urgent care and doctors many times. once i was put on prednisone. i would put ice in paper towels and lay that on the hot and swollen affected area. while in the No.East, i would run out in the back and get snow to put on the places that were inflamed, itchy, hot. ugh..

my latest incident was using spf sun lotion for "sensitive skin," and i had a flare up on arms and legs that lasted for quite a time. i called advice nurse, and she recommended OTC benadryl and hydrocortizone cream. the benadryl put me right out, so i stopped that, but the hydrocortizone cream helped. also more ice.

it's unpleasant to put up with. does mean something is out of whack in our systems. you may well self-correct over time. best, sascha
  5. GrannyOf4

GrannyOf4 New Member

I am currently taking Lexapro, synthroid and Aciphex. I don't think any of the side effects are itching, but Lexapro probably does cause sweating. I have a dr.s appt. next monday and I'm hoping to get some answers then. If I have any skin left that is.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have diabetes and sometimes I get itching from that. Also as you are probably well aware, some meds have itching as a side effect.

I have been taking Lortabs 10/500 mg. now for over a year and they do not cause me itching.

Menopause can cause itching so many things.

Surely wish I could help you more. I would start at the www.drugs.com site and look up the side effects of all the meds you take. Possibly one of them is causing this.

Hope you'll feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Lexapro does cause sweating. I have itching sometimes and also the feeling of bugs crawling all over my skin. No rash though. I never did figure out the itch thing, but right now it's not very bad.
  8. srollins

srollins New Member

for yrs i have suffered with this, between my shoulder blades.

my hubby is good to scracth for me but i swear when he does i feel like i can't even feel him doing it. it is as if my back is numb to the touch but it itches and no matter how long he goes at it it doesn't help...................................................

oh my lot in life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shirley
  9. janieb

janieb New Member

Like Molly'stwin, I feel like there are bugs crawling all over me, but I can't find them.

Started a thread a while back and told how I almost killed our dog and myself last year thinking it was fleas. But, the dog did not have fleas and no one else was itching.

I can deal with the itching thing, but have to get to the bottom of this crawly feeling.

janieb
  10. GrannyOf4

GrannyOf4 New Member

Last night I scratched my lower back until it was bleeding. Still had to force myself to stop. I cut off my finger nails but got so desperate I used my hairbrush. I'm hoping that when the weather cools alittle it will help. I started taking benadryl at night and using different creams during the day. Maybe it is just one of those things that will eventually go away on it's own.

Granny