Skin sensitivity and Vitamin D?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpecialK82, Aug 3, 2008.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

In the past month I've noticed that my skin has become very sensitive and it kind of stings and itches at the same time.

I've noticed some other posts about skin sensitivity as well. Well I was ready to chaulk it up to another miserable symptom of FM but just today realized that I started a megadose of Vitamin D (50,000 IU per week) about a week prior to feeling these sensations.

Has any one else experienced skin sensitivity while taking high doses of Vit D?

I only need to take this dose for one more month and I'm hoping that this is only a side effect and not the FM.

Any insight would be appreciated!

2. simonedb

simonedb Member

why are u taking such a big dose?
  3. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

of Vitamin D becuase I was low (not actually deficient) but my doc is trying to boost it up. I take 50,000 once a week for 8 weeks and then 2000 per day after that.
  4. Jayna

Jayna New Member

and getting plenty of water?

Vitamin D works to get calcium stored in the bone. Calcium in a major nerve strengthener. If you don't have enough calcium for your now plentiful vitamin D to work with, your calcium level drops.

You can accidentally put strain on all your nervous system signals and feel more wierd pains and sensations in more wierd places, but they should ease up once your calcium is back in balance.

Of course, calcium is also balanced with magnesium, so you might need more of that while taking extra calcium to balance your vitamin D.

I don't know why doctors don't mention all these interactions when they give us huge doses of just one vitamin. They've been known to science for 50 years or more.
  5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

thanks so much for that info. It's funny I just ran across something yesterday about that and forgot it again - I'm going to go take some calcium and magnesium right now!

No the doctor didn't mention anything about that - I really wish they would understand more about nutrition and supplements.

Thanks Again!
  6. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

on the dosages for the calcium and mag for the 50,000 Vit D?

I just grabbed what was in my cabinet tonight - I took two Viactiv which has 1000 mg calcium and I had a Women's One-a-day which had a measley 50 mg of mag.

So I need to go shopping tomorrow.
  7. Jayna

Jayna New Member

since everybody's calcium stores (or deficits) are individual.

The usual ratios of calcium to magnesium are 2:1 or even 1:1.

I'd start low on the calcium (say, 500 twice a day?) and work up, making sure to drink plenty of water.

Also, both calcium and magnesium need a lot of stomach acid to be digested (why Tums are largely calcium to sop up excess acid). If you can tolerate apple cider vinegar beforehand/with, that will help digest them. Otherwise you might want to look into Betaine HCl (stomach acid enhancer made from beets).

Good luck with this. Getting everything in balance in our bodies is tricky but immensely useful.