Skin Tags and Parathyroid Glands

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, May 28, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I once read that Skin Tags are related to Parathyroid Gland Dysfunction. I have NO IDEA where I read this, and it was maybe 10 years ago. Possibly a Readers Digest type of magazine, or Prevention magazine, as those are the types of mags I read back then.

I have searched for this online and can find no reference to this at all. Was wondering if anyone else has come up with an explanation for skin tags, or their relation to Parathyroid Gland?
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Thank you for your response 4everkid. I just bought a new bottle of Chromium today as I have been out for about a year. Hopefully, some of these tags will start to disappear. I've had maybe 20 annoying ones removed over the years, and probably have 20 more growing.
  3. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I have skintags and when they annoy me I get someone to tie a cotton around it very tight then they usually drop off my dr did this many years ago and I have had no trouble with any I have had this done to
    Linda
  4. livin4him

livin4him New Member

removed. She just wipes the spot with alcohol and trims them off with a sharp tool and covers with a bandaid. It stings for a minute but then it's fine. This was the second time I have done that. My dermatologist said they are caused by friction mainly. Of course, I have had a lot of moles removed also. My father was a "moley" person, so my mother says. (he died when I was 1, so I don't know).

I noticed mine more after I got sick with CFIDS, and mainly on my neck.

Just my two cents.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I get lots of skin tags on my neck. I work in a lab, and I use liquid nitrogen to zap them. I get a dipper full of liquid nitrogen and dip a q-tip (cotton tipped applicator) into it and then touch it to the skin tag. I do this for a few seconds, until it hurts. I hit each skin tag 5 or 6 times.

It leaves a bit of a burn mark, which lasts about a week or so, and the skin tag usually disappears.

I am NOT recommending you go out and get liqud nitrogen to do this (don't even think you COULD). But since I work in a lab, it's a perk (NOT an authorized one, LOL!)

I've had this done at the dermatologist office, and it always hurts WAY more because they leave it on longer than I can deal with. I like having the control myself.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

salicylic acid. But I do remember seeing TV ads some time ago for a wart remover that looked like it was probably liquid nitrogen in a small can with a plastic applicator nozzle.

The ad claimed it was the same treatment you would get in a doctor's office, so it could be. Haven't seen that ad in awhile, though.
  7. HoneyPooh

HoneyPooh New Member

I inherited skin tags from my mother. They never bothered my mom until my eldest son was three - he wanted to know why she had so many nipples on her neck! She promptly had them removed. :)
  8. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Thank you for this thread. I really appreciate it. I did not know what these horrible little things were. I felt a bit like a mushroom farm. Now I have possible causes and treatments. Much appreciated. Cannot cure my cfs but I can deal with this.
  9. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I work for a dermatologist. People come in and want them

removed. Its very simple but should be done by the doctor.

Espically if theres history of melanoma. Rare but one could

be somthing that should be sent off to the patholgist. But

anyway he just snips them off with little sharp scissors. HES SNIPPED OFF i BET AT TIMES AS MANY AS 50 AT A TIME

usally dont even bleed. And everyone is correct. ITs all

genetics. Thank your parents lolo. They usally pop up in our

mid years. under arms, breasts, neck, eyelids those are the most common places.

dolfenn

Some doctors might remove them different Only worked for 1 derm office. And dont ever recall any parathyriod in realtion with skin tags. And Ive been tn the room with many parients comp;aining of skin tags. Hope to have releaved any nervousnes about this. is nervousness a word?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

Wasn't anxious about removing them. I've had probably 50 removed in my life, some bigger than a raisin that needed stitches. They're just annoying. And know I read the Parathyroid connection SOMEWHERE and can't find it, damn it. And thankfully they usually grow where the sun don't shine, hmmmmmmm, perhaps that's a clue.
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I had hyperparathyroidism for several years until an operation removed the overactive gland. Don't remember reading anything about parathyroids being associated with skin tags though!
  12. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I don't have them but my mother does. She had a goiter in the 1960's.
  13. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has Crohn's and he had a fairly large tag removed a few months ago. His Dr. said that it's quite common in people with this disease.

14. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

It's on the inside of my leg and much larger than a raisin. Thank's for the info.