skip in heartbeats

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pastorw1, Mar 6, 2003.

1. pastorw1

pastorw1 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you have what the Dr. calls a skipped heartbeat? Is it associated with FBM. Sometimes I cant
    't sleep for it and sometimes i hardly notice it. Thanks for any infomation.

pastorw1
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Do a search of previous posts here and/or a websearch on Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome (MVP or MVPS). 75% of FMS patients have it. It is important to know if you have this, as you need to take antibiotics during all procedures involving possible bleeding, even dental cleanings. The test to detect it is called an Echocardiogram and is an ultrasound of the heart. If you have the test, be sure to drink as little as possible for 12 hrs. before the test, as the MVP sometimes won't show up if you are well hydrated....
    And, if it turns out you have an MVP, you need to keep it well hydrated by drinking a quart of water daily for every 50 lbs. of your body weight. This will help a lot with the palpitations or PVC's, as they're called by docs (what you called a "skipped beat", but it really isn't, so don't worry). You should also take 60 mgs. of COQ10 daily, and avoid heavy lifting and bending over and back up very fast.
    I am probably forgetting some things, but there is a ton of info on this on the web, so you can get educated on it. It is usually not serious at all, but 40% of MVPS patients have panic attacks at some point, so avoiding the symptoms with proper care is a help at prevention of that. I know because I've had FMS for 17 yrs. and have had panic attacks from my MVPS for 15 yrs. I have them under control with meds, but that isn't always necessary. Knowledge is power...
    Klutzo
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I am going for a echo. and stress test in the morning - glad I ran into this post as I had no idea about the not drinking thing. Amy
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Pastor, welcome to the board, are you a 'Pastor'??

I think Klutzo has pretty much covered your question for you.

Just stopped to welcome you, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I'm 59 and since about 40 have had skip beats, irregular rhythems and wound up in the er several times. Once my pressure went off the wall and they never knew why. It started the minute I laid down. Was in the er the whole night. After that it happened again when I went to bed but found if I just got up and waited a while I could eventually lay down without a problem.
    Wore a monitor and all that. There was just no reason. Last summer I couldnt bend down without almost passing out. When I started taking magnesium glycinate all that went away. When I added magnesium aspertate my blood pressure went back down to normal and I quit taking the meds I had been taking for several years. As soon as my mag. glycinate is finished I am going to switch over to GNC magnesium/potassium aspertate. It was all something I just stumbled onto myself cuz none of the many md and tests I had showed a thing.
  6. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Dug out this little piece of info` from an article on Mycoplasma.
    Hope it helps to explain.

ECG Test

You can also ask your doctor to give you a 24-hour Holter ECG. You know, of course, that an electrocardiogram is a measure of your heartbeat and shows what is going on in the right ventricle, the left ventricle and so on. Tests show that 100% of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia have an irregular heartbeat. At various periods during the 24 hours, the heart, instead of working happily away going "bump-BUMP, bump-BUMP", every now and again goes "buhbuhbuhbuhbuhbuhbuhbuhbuh". The T-wave (the waves are called P, Q, R, S and T) is normally a peak, and then the wave levels off and starts with the P-wave again. In chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia patients, the T-wave flattens off, or actually inverts. That means the blood in the left ventricle is not being squeezed up through the aorta and around through the body.

Pat.