Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Tuesday afternoon the scent of scared skunk wafted in my downtown Toronto window. It's not unusual to smell skunk in Toronto but it is unusual in the middle of the day.

A few minutes later, a very unhappy neighbour from down the hall showed up outside my door to tell me that she and her dog were just skunked and to ask me if she smelled because, since her dog and subsequently her apt. were redolent of skunk, she could no longer tell.

She had taken her youthful and unruly Westie into the back yard of our apt. building, encountered what was obviously an insomniac skunk and the Westie gave chase. The poor woman reeked of fresh skunk.

I take my little dog out there several times a day and decided to give the end of the yard where my neighbour's dog encountered the skunk a wide birth. I was sure the skunk was just passing through. The area of the skunking was at the bottom on a small slope where there are deep leaves and some old wood. Maybe the skunk lived there -- could happen there are a family of raccoons living back there -- better safe than sorry.

Each time we went out I made him wait at the door as I scoped out the scene before letting him run. No sign of a skunk but we avoided the slope and I kept my eyes open.

At four today out we went. I felt pretty relaxed. I sat on the steps while my little dog ran around behind them to his usual corner -- far away from skunk territory. I enjoyed the peace and let my mind wander.

Behind me I heard a little, "Rruff!" Again, "Rrrrufff!!" Hmmm, thought I, who's he barking at. Probably a squirrel. I thought I should check but was not very concerned. [pic of
    little dog is in profile.]

Well, of course, there was a little skunk backed up against the fence with magnificent tail high, obviously, all systems go! Dog and I were about 10 feet from said skunk but dear dog, not being a terrier, listened when I said to stop barking, came with me immediately when asked and we were able to beat a hasty retreat inside.

Good dog!

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Well I'm glad that you and your dog survived without having to de-skunk yourselves and apartment, but I am a little concerned with the skunk. Skunks are nocturnal, and don't usually come out in the day time. They do if the have rabies.....I would call the animal control(if you have them in Canada)

Rabies is on the rise. Right here where I live an 11 yr old little girl was attacked in the day light by a fox. Her father and uncle had to BEAT the fox off of her. They ended up killing it and the head was taken to Boston. It was Rabid and all three of them had to have the treatment for Rabies.

Please take care....
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2008]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good think your little dog was so well-trained. Our neighbors have a sweet but stupid dog. It has been sprayed three times.

The skunks here in Los Angeles drop by for some cat kibble now and then. Good thing skunks are very phlegmatic. Last year I opened the door to check on the cats and there was a skunk about a foot away.

It ambled over, sniffed my shoes, and then moved off with its slow and stately pace.

We have a big one and a small one in the neighborhood. Have only seen them together once. I don't know how they keep their white fur so immaculate.

Have to admire an animal that has a skull shaped like a bicycle seat.

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

He is!

He is an adorable wee creature,
    a cuddleupagus
    and very smart little dog.

Thanks for noticing!

He is well trained but it was very easy because he is so eager to communicate with me. The poodle in him is very smart and very motivated to connect.

He's a good natured, highly intelligent, "cutie wootie little didums."

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....I will respond to Linda and say that "good, best little doggie" is a poodle.

Rafiki, I commend you both.

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

in the pic. is my poodle/mutt probably with Bichon somewhere. He is 17 lbs, very merry and as good as can be.

There was another skunking of a dog and person in the yard today!

Animal control said skunk mothers are about in the daytime foraging for food now ~~~ to live and let live... unless they start to stagger, etc., then report them

I hope the little skunk really is ok.

I'll miss the back yard where I could stagger outside in jammie bottoms and Tshirt, with mug of coffee, on pooch trips. )~: It seems to belong to a small, no nonsense little skunk these days. Now dog and I will have to go out front on sidewalk and down the block in real clothes!!!

Peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 08/01/2008]
  8. springwater

springwater Active Member

THAT dog is a sweetheart!!!What a cuddly little black haired bright eyed mop of a dog!!! And what a bonus that he is sweet tempered and good as well.

I have one dog out of my seven who could be called 'good'. Gives me the least trouble but she fell sick, vomiting her food and coughing and hacking for some time. Luckily her tests came back negative and the doc insists she is fine...just some chronic gastric! Ive decided i better feed her small meals every hour or two - i dont know what else to do besides give her the medicines analgesic and some tablet.

She's been with me for almost nine years now and i was wondering how i would cope if she were to die..such a gaping hole would be left...she was brought at one month old, a tiny beautiful ball of white fluff and she never cried once, she just merged into our family....such a darling playful sweet thing.

I too hope the little skunk is all right...

God Bless
  9. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

That was a great story. What a cute little doggy.

My funny skunk story:

Before I met my dh he had various roomates to help pay his mortgage. They were always top UCSD students from various countries(China, Pakistan). Well, he had a Chinese roomate that was extremely bright. One evening on his way into the house he came upon a skunk but he thought it was a cat because they don't have skunks in China. He went to pet it and it sprayed him! Luckily it only sprayed lightly on his shirt and he put it right into the laundry and he himself did not even smell bad. Every time my dh tells that story I crack up. He has some great roomate stories.

It is so strange that we moved from that house 4 years ago just 25 miles North and we have never smelled skunk smell here. But we used to always smell it in our old neighborhood.

10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Sorry I was so late in reading your account or an almost account with the skunk. It was very funy to read but not so funny at the time I am sure.

What cute fluffy dog you have. Again, what a sweet and well behaved doggie you have !!! Hope he got lots of treats afterwards.

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

There has been another skunking!

We are very alert when we go out.

The pack,

Rafiki and Boober
  12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Thanks for the laugh; that's so funny!

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Sorry your wee dog is under the weather! We always do the white rice diet - or rice water if tummy is terribly upset. And, sometimes, bismuth.

Hope your doggy feels better soon!

14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Rafiki, I thought you might be amused to know that I thought of you two nights ago when I awoke gasping with the smell of skunk. Windows were closed, fan was on but skunk smell was rampant. I suspect one of the little critters had been scared or hit by a car nearby.

I do think of you other, nicer times too. ;>)