Sky-high cholesterol, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Sep 29, 2005.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

My doctor told me yesterday that my cholesterol is in the "High risk of heart disease" area. Among other things he told me to exercise. I must get back to the Y-Dan and Yoga when I am feeling better but I have a nasty sinus infection and pneumonia and don't feel like even doing that.

Besides exercise, what can I do? Lose weight, yes, but I have talked about that on another thread. I have been on one diet after another in the past 9 months and have steadily gained weight. It seems to be insulin resistance but the doctors won't do anything about it - except tell me to lose weight which I can't do because I have insulin resistance.

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated?

Any ideas on dealing with cholesterol?

Thank you.
    Pepper
  2. vickiw

vickiw Member

mine was creeping up, but went down after cutting out hydrogenated fats (I have to read labels). I also don't eat fried foods at all. They contain a lot of hydrogenated fats.

I watch my saturated fat intake, but I'm not obsessive about it.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast 4 or 5 days a week. I add fruit and nuts (good omega 3 fats) to the oatmeal.

All this has helped. Exercise is just about impossible for me since I have CFIDS.

Vicki
  3. cobie

cobie New Member

Hi, Sometimes people with hypothyroidism have high cholesterol, have your thyroid checked.? There is an interesting theory that low vit c levels increase cholesterol(from book "the optimum nutrition bible" by Patric Holford}. He says 1.Avoid fried food ie saturated fats.2 Eat plenty of veges.3 Dont smoke.4Take antioxidants and vit c .Taking psyllium husks can help lower levels.(improving gut function) Try this before resorting to Lipitor,do some research on it , there has been some bad press on it recently,be careful with that one. Good Luck Cobie
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

Oatmeal with nuts and fruit. I can do that. And I guess I will have to start watching the fats.

I was actually a little upset with my dr. because he became ANGRY when I told him that I can't exercise due to CFS. He told me that I HAD to exercise whether I felt like it or not.

He knows what I was like before I got sick - an exercise fanatic - so this was doubly upsetting. I would LOVE to exercise and am so frustrated that I can't. I have been able to do some of the Y-Dan though and a little yoga.

Thanks for your help.
    Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]
  5. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I take policosanol for this. It works for me and also raised my hdl and lowered triglycerides. I heard that it doesn't work for everyone. I guess I am lucky. I have not yet tried red yeast rice . I know that works. I refuse to take statins. I'm not a med person. Jess
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

Omega 3, Red Yeast Rice (never heard of that one) and Flaxseed. I am taking the Omegas but not the others so will start asap. I can't take the statins either - IBS and liver problems.

My DH can lose weight so fast too. It is frustrating. We will be on the same diet with me eating a fraction of what he is eating. He cheats all over the place while I am being very strict on the diet and drops he 50 lb easily in a month.

It is maddening, isn't it?

Pepper
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

Now that you mention it, my mom had high cholesterol. But mine was never high until now (age 57) so I wonder if that is because of heredity.

Because I have a bad liver, I cannot take Lipitor or any other cholesterol lowering drugs. I have to find a natural way to do it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if my kids should be tested.

Pepper
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

the one difference in my diet since I last had my cholesterol checked is that I stopped taking psyllium! I wonder if that is why it spiked. I don't know why I stopped - just too many things to swallow I think. But I am going to re-start it right away.

I am hypothyroid and am on medication for it. Because of the IBS I cannot take Vitamin C. I would have to spend the day in the bathroom. I know that I should be taking it but it would just go in one end.........

I guess I really must avoid saturated fats, eat more vegetables and take more antioxidants. Luckily I don't smoke.

I am happy to hear of all these things I can do to control the cholesterol and I am going to start right away.

Thank you for your input. I am going to dig out the psyllium right now.

Pepper
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

I am glad to hear that Red Yeast Rice works. I will definitely look into that tomorrow.

You say you are not a "med person" and I like to avoid them if I can too because of my poor liver. I have never heard of policosonol though. What is it?

Thank you.
    Pepper