Sleep Actually Helps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poeticbobbi, Apr 13, 2007.

1. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

My doctor is focusing on my sleeping.I was upset at first but I found that she is right.If I sleep well I experience less of the ever aggrivating flu like aching and exhaustion.But if I don't get good sleep,"oh boy".
    Now if I could just get my boyfriend to sleep well.When he tosses and turns I suffer more than he does.It must be time to look into a different type of bed.I already sleep with ear plugs,because without them,every little sound wakes me.
    Then there are the constant trips to the bathroom at night always when I am in a good sleep too.
    Life with FM is a different one , to say the least!!!!!!
    I know there have been other posts about sleep and other things that I may repeat in my posts but there is so much to read here and I don't always get to read them all.Sure am glad all you guys are here!!!
  2. jenn1980

jenn1980 New Member

My fiance insists on sleeping with the TV on. This greatly hurts my sleep. I find that when he watches TV and sleeps in the living room, I sleep MUCH better than when he stays in the bedroom and I try to sleep with that TV on. Granted, CFIDS is cruel and I am still exhausted even with the TV off, but being in a completely dark and quiet room DOES help to a great extent. The exhaustion is still present (as it is whenever I have to get up before noon - NOT a morning person), but not as bad as when I try to sleep with the blaring television and the light flickering from it.

My other problem is that I need about 12 hours of sleep to feel DECENT, and that just isn't feasible. I also need to be able to sleep late, because no matter how early I go to bed, getting up early is literally painful and miserable for me. Yet I do it 4 days a week...and feel sicker each day.
  3. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I need at least ten hours of sleep or I am a mess.I am not a morning person either,it takes hours to get it together.
  4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

My counselor has been trying to get me to get my sleep schedule back on a normal time instead of going to bed around 1-2 AM and getting up around 9-10.

So I set my alarm for 9:15.

Every day that I did that, I was in a horrible mood all day, even tho I got my 8 hours, which I thought was all I needed.

Apparently 8 hours only works if I let my body wake me up, not an alarm.

I don't know what I'm going to do because when I go back to school later this year I'll have to get up at 5:30 AM.

Sleep is bizarre. I almost wish one didn't have to do so to live, lol.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

and forgive me if you know this, but CFS patients don't get stage 3 adn 4 sleep. That's when your body regulates hormones and when it does repair work.. mopping up viruses etc.. by means of something called Ig factor (or something like that.()

Most Rx drugs will not get u stage 3 and 4 sleep. I am pretty sure I am getting it now, and it's down to teh methylation protcol fixing some of the underlying biological problems such as melatonin regulation.

Quite a few ppl on this protocol are reportign VASTLY improved sleep on this protocol (which is basically an active form of folate, some B12 and some phospholipids).

Check out Ellispad and Laurie Cunningham's posts. Laurie's are on the 5th methylation thread at the end. She slept better from day 1 on these supplements.

No amount of sleep hygiene is going to help until u fix the biochemisty in MHO, adn I spent 7 years chasing the right sleep combo.

delia
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Well better sleep doesn't help my pain but it sure does help with my fatigue

If I don't sleep well, I barely function the next day.

My husband snores and my dog dreams out loud, so I have resorted to sleeping in the other room. My dog and husband or not happy, but too bad!

I also sleep with an eye mask (which has helped TREMENDOUSLY and ear plugs since I tend to hear every little sound

I also go to the bathroom twice b4 I go to bed, and by doing this, I usually don't have to get up in the middle of the night

Also, cut off your caffiene at about 4:00 pm. That has made a HUGE diff in my sleep
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

OK ... I am trying to get used to this cpap machine. Some nights I make it the whole night. Other nights I rip it off. It is extremely uncomfortable BUT, I do have to agree that it does help. I just wish they would come up with something more comfortable. I have to have some sort of "noise" when I sleep. Usually it is the tv but I am going to try to find some earth sound cds. The only problem with that is they are cds ... lol. I need something that runs for 6-8 hours. I do not have a fancy stero system that auto loads. So I am going to try to find a radio station that is not too annoying. But on the nights I did manage to sleep totally with the cpap, I cannot say I felt "refreshed" but I did not feel as dizzy or foggy. The sleep clinic dr was shocked by my response. I am not going to lie ...
  8. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I am glad for any info that helps.I gotta make some list from all Im getting here.
  9. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

Hi. I'm new here, so this is my first message. This past year, my rheumatologist prescribed Lunesta and Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) to be taken together at bedtime for sleep. They work well together, and whether more restful sleep has helped or not, this is the first winter I have not had a cold, flu, or respiritory problems. Only catch: my hours are messed up and I'm not sure how to change/readjust them. I stay up and read after taking my sleep meds until 1:00 or 2:00 a.m., then go to bed when tired. But, needing 9-10 hours of sleep nightly, I will then sleep until about 10:00-10:30 the next morning. I guess there's no real problem, except those hours make my days seem shorter :) Talk to you again later. NannyGlo