Sleep Aid: Agomelatine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sceptical, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

Has anyone tried agomelatine for sleep ? This is a French med which got green light few years ago in Europe. It is basically an MT1, MT 2 agonist that is a melatonerg drug. The pharmaceutical company Servier says that the side effects do not differ from placebo (which also makes its effectiveness questionable) and that it effectively reregulates sleep and HPA axis. I am just curious. Good sleep is important. It does not effect daytime vigilence. Let's see.

Any other idea? Low dose Remeron (7-10g) is excellent but not enough. Omega 3 or cod liver oil seem to be a fairy tale for me for lack of ANY credible evidence.

[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2010]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have not tried it, and I am really exhausted and foggy rt now, so take my thoughts with that in mind.....from quickly looking it up, it sounds like it blocks melatonin from being absorbed, so there is more in the body.....if that is rt, it would seem that just taking melatonin would have the same effects....however, I could definitely be missing somethign in my understanding of it.....I have tried melatonin and it did not really make me sleep, but at the same time it did make me feel groggy all the next day....I also read an article on here from a medical journal that said that melatonin could be contraindicated in people with POTS and other forms of if you do have any type of OI I would imagine that this drug could also be problematic
  3. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

I've had no response whatsoever to Melatonine. However, Melatonine and agomelatine differ like day from night. I cannot judge the position of Servier in general. Let's see in practice. We have heard about so many nice stories coined by pharmaceutical companies and naturopaths.