Sleep Aid--Tea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TMBFibro, Aug 10, 2005.

1. TMBFibro

TMBFibro New Member

I don't want to be on sleeping pills anymore and want to try a natural way to get to sleep AND stay asleep. I thought I would try some teas but I don't know where to start. The only one I'm familiar with is Sleepy Time from Celestial Seasonings. Does anyone know a good brand to start with.
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The best tea (Herbal) for sleep is Valerian, you can take them in capsules or in tea form.

Go for a low dose at first, then you can build it up. It usually works on the first try.

By the way, it does smell like dirty socks, so don't let that stop you. If you try the tea bags or fresh leaves, be sure to keep them in a glass container, they will smell up your pantry! The stronger the odor the fresher the herb is.

If you are taking any kind of meds for sleep, be sure to ask your doctor or pharmacist about the Valerian, as it does not mix with some meds.

You can use a little honey with the tea, kind of kills the taste.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

4. craziC

craziC New Member

I believe there are teas with multiple ingredients to help with sleep. I think Valerian, Lavendar and Rosemary aid as a tension-reducer and sleep-aid. Good Earth is a place to look.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

and the pharmacist told me not to take it with Xanax. She said it stays in the system for 12 hours, so just be sure to space it if you do take Xanax. I also would ask about other meds.

Sonya
  6. Musica

Musica New Member

I know someone who uses Sleepytime tea and it works. I can't remember if she said Bigelow or Celestial Seasonings works better. Also, she uses more than one bag, she makes it pretty strong, but it works.
  7. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Mmmmmmm.....chamomile tea. My comfort in the middle of the night!!! I like the pure chamomile best, it doesn't even need to be sweetened. I grew some chamomile in my garden a few years ago (when I could still garden) and picked the flowers all summer for fresh tea....amazing.
    Two or 3 cups of chamomile usually helps for me.

Catnip is also good but tastes kinda yucky so I would blend it with chamomile. DON'T use storebought catnip though (I think they mix it with sawdust or something!) Find someone who grows it or who harvests it wild.

Lemon balm is also very nice, flavorful and soothing and good to blend with other things. Lemon balm tea is also wonderful to help ease menstrual cramps. It really works!

Unfortunately, marijuana is not a possibility due to the current legal climate, but the tea made from the lower, less potent leaves helps promote relaxation, therefore sleep.

There's nothing wrong with good old Sleepytime tea, I drink it too, and again, two cups are better than one for me. I don't think the brands of herbal teas are that important, but fresher herbs will be more effective. A health food store is a good place to find fresher herbs.

If you want something other than tea to help, grate a little nutmeg into some milk, or make a spice bag. Warm the milk to steep the spices, and sweeten to taste. Enjoy this with a nice banana or two for natural sleep aids!

Wishing you well, nature
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I like organic chamomile by Tradional Medicinals or Lemon Ginger by Yogi Tea and a warm pepperment oil bath.
    Sleep is a two or three step deal for me sometimes.
    Dee50