Sleep all night and wake up tired....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shirl517, Jan 2, 2006.

1. shirl517

shirl517 New Member

Why is that?
  2. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm not sure if anyone knows why that is. I wake up during the night, so I don't get a good night's sleep.

There are many that feel like you do.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am like Tigger...I don't sleep through the night. I always wake feeling terrible. I think... that even with the meds to help us sleep... we are still in pain and that affects us...and how we feel upon waking.
  4. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I always wake up tired. I can't even remember when I slept thru the night without waking. I take flexeril and feel completely zonked for the first few hours but then wake up with the muscle pain. I take Provigil and still feel tired and fatigued all day long.
  5. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

Same here, although I do remember awakening off & on during the night for brief moments. It's miserable because I continue to feel that way all day--EXHAUSTED. I get a brief reprieve (about 2 hrs.) from taking one or two Tramadol during the day, but their effectiveness for me lessens all the time. (Strangely, Tramadol helps my fatigue more than it helps my pain.)

I am desperate for an improvement. I feel like life is passing me by in many ways.
  6. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

and, I too find that ultram (tramadol) increases my energy level but does nothing for my pain ?? (I had not mentioned this to anyone because I figured they would think I was crazy!)- I have also found that a combination of 150mg Effexor XR and 75mg of Lyrica (neurontin did nothing) help with sleep and increase the chances of not waking so tired - HOWEVER, if it is a flare, then absolutely nothing helps the pain or sleep except time (it can take 1 day to weeks before the flare passes)- I, too, have read all the theories about the level of sleep and serotonin in the brain, etc - I just know that it can be a very frustrating and depressing situation - that is why I go to pain management, counseling, rheumie and always am open for any possibility of help! Hang in there - we are all in this together
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

It's the lack of Stage 4 sleep that causes you to be tired even though you slept all night. Or thought you slept all night. Some people never get to Stage 4 (Delta sleep, the healing kind), and some people get there but the brain immediately bumps you out of it.

I also say "thought you slept" because you could have sleep apnea. The cessation or partial cessation of breathing makes the brain wake you up to breathe. But the periods of wakening are so brief, it's not even a conscious thing. I found I have severe sleep apnea, but I thought I was sleeping all night.

Or, another possibility is that pain is keeping you from getting good sleep.
  8. loriofwindsor

loriofwindsor New Member

I often can't sleep until 1-2 in the morning then don't sleep well until 5-6 am. I work and have kids so I can't sleep all day but when I get up I am always tired and for a few months I used to take naps at work during my lunch break! I don't do that any more because I think it makes it harder for me to go to sleep at night but I have tried and tried to go to sleep earlier but I just can't get comfortable and then I want to sleep all day. Over the holidays I slept until noon a couple of times and then I stayed in bed and dozed for the rest of the day. At around 6-7 pm I begin to get some energy and can do some things then (maybe because I feel guilty for laying around all day). I am not always like this so I also can chalk it up to the last year of horrors I have lived through. Mainly the divorce junk and my husband trying to take my kids away. I think it all just catches up with you at some point.

Here's to some good sleep in this new year!

Lori
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Sorry about the pain of the divorce and all...sounds like you've been through a lot. But I looked up your bio and saw that you have a birthday coming up soon. Happy Birthday a bit early! Terri
  10. turtlelou

turtlelou New Member

It feels as if I have fought fatigue all of my adult life. I was diagnosed with low thyroid when I was about 23 years old. At first, the synthroid made me feel normal again for about 12 years. I'd have periods of great energy and then low periods which usually indicated my medication was too low or high.

Then when I was 36 I got a terrible virus. Doctors think it was Parvo virus. Yes, dogs get it, but there is a human form. I've never been the same since. For nearly 9 years, fatigue is my worst symptom. I don't know why we sleep and still feel exhausted. I rarely have trouble sleeping. I can pretty much sleep at anytime, but I'm still tired all the time. I also get pain, shakiness, and weak if I'm having a particularly bad day.

I'm a teacher, so there are times during the year when I can predict a heavier work load and expect great fatigue. There are also times of the year when I an expect great periods of rest and my symptoms subside a bit.

A few things I've found increase my fatigue and pain are:
    stress especially emotional
    traveling
    lots of noise and visual stimulation (malls are killer)
    any kind of physical exertion (lifting is especially tirirg)
    aerobic exercise (gently, moderate works best when I can)
    getting a cold or other viral infection brings it all back with a vengance. I didn't get a flu shot this year. Big mistake. I caught the flu 3 weeks ago, and I'm still struggling with fatugue, pain, night sweats, brain fog.

When I'm having a particular bad time with fatigue, I do the following:

lay down during the day

read if you can

stay away from shopping and stores

tell myself it will probably be better in a few days. It usually does get a little better, and then it gets bad again.

stay away from stressful people. They can really take it out of you. Gossipers, negative types, Drama queens and kings. And especially unsympathetic people who say things like, "you just need to push yourself." Very bad advice.

Eat healthier

avoid alcohol

scale down my social life

None of these strategies work miracles. Each one adds a bit to turning a relapse around. The hardest part for me is believing I will get a bit better soon and have some good days. I have to really focus on that. When I have a bad day, time goes so slowly.

I understand your frustration and confusion. I hope this helps. At least you may feel comfort in company.