Sleep and tricyclic antidepressants.....helping you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Nov 27, 2006.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

Anyone with chronic insomnia been help with low dose tricyclics? I have been on Elavil (20mg) taken during the day because it does not sedate me, for about 2 mo. Seems to help a bit to reset a sleep cycle. But, still wake up after 3-5 hrs sleep and CANNOT go back to sleep. Wake up with weird dreams and mind racing. Have been on Klonopin for over a year...time to taper off it. ?Has anyone gotten insomnia relief with these tricyclics? Thank you.
  2. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

JohnBee I use Prothiaden to set my sleep cycle.I take only 2-10 mgm with my evening meal and taper off after a few weeks.
    Generally cannot tolerate any medicines..The P also acts as an anti-histamine so it settles down my digestion as well.
  3. padre

padre New Member

JohnBee:
    I use 20 mg of Elavil and have for a number of years. I take it 1 hour before bedtime. At bedtime I take .5 mg of Xanax and .25mg Klonopin. This is a tricyclic cocktail, but it works. I sleep a full eight hours. I also have weird dreams and I am glad as I know I actually slept. I am glad too because I did not dream for a long time. I can go without the Xanax and Klonopin, but the Elavil really helps. Something else that has worked was 10mg Elavil and 10mg Flexeril. Have you tried the Elavil at bedtime? It is the most common time to take it.