Sleep Apena

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I know there is different sleep problems that can be diagnosed through a sleep lab.
    I know people with a CPap machine. But they all have just regular air from the room pumped in to keep their airways open as they sleep.

I am seeing ones that are posting that they use BOTH a Cpap machine AND Oxygen.

How does that work? Why the Oxygen? What is the reason for both? thanks
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Well, my doctor tested me for asthma. I have no respiratory/breathing problems, so I am on a regular cpap.
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

CPAP is a treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome. This treatment does exactly what you stated...It forces room air into your trachea to splint it open; thus eliminating the closing of the airway (partial or total) which causes apnea or hypopnic episodes during sleep.

Oxygen is not usually part of the CPAP therapy for most people. In one of my sleep clinic brochures, it states, "Supplemental oxygen is not a treatment for OSAS. (Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome). Oxygen may be added to the PAP system, however, to correct for low oxygen levels due to existing lung or heart disease."

The oxygen is added to treat other conditions such as Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease or Congestive Heart Failure, etc...when the body is unable to get enough O2 on it's own from the room air due to disease.

Hope that helps! I have the CPAP alone as I do not have any lung or heart conditions, thankfully!

Blessings,
    Annie
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

My DH has a CPAP and loves it, no oxygen though, I also know others that uses it. No one has the Oxygen, that I know.

I knew that their are different types of sleep disorders and not all the same.

Thank you for your quick and informative answer.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I have obstructive sleep apnea - which happened to be the cause of my congestive heart failure.

While I was in the hospital for CHF, they did a test on what my oxygen level was at night. My oxygen level happened to sink really low - down to around 70.

So, I now have an oxygen concentrator which runs and extracts the oxygen out of the normal air and runs it through a small tube that is hooked into my CPAP machine.

So now, in addition to the "regular" air that comes through my CPAP, the regular air is mixed with a small amount of oxygen.

All people do not need the oxygen - the regular air, running at a set pressure, is enough to keep the airway open.

Jant