Sleep Apnea anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Apr 1, 2009.

1. namow

namow New Member

I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and "maybe" I will be using a CPAP machine, sand I say maybe because I haven't heard the results of the study with the mask yet but the technician that night said that I oxygenated well, on the other hand I felt horrible.

Also, how accurate are the sleep studies since you don't sleep the same there than you do it at home, I was nervous etc.

The night I had the sleep study with the mask I woke up with a horrible headache, do this happens to anyone else?

Using a CPAP has helped your sleep problems???

I would like to hear from anyone who has gone through this.

2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

yes I too have slep Apnea... My doc sadi its sever.. out os 60 min I stop breathing 38 times.. also outof a 7 hour study I hit REM sleep for 11 min

so its no wonder I am so very fatiuged. besides my fibro doc advised I have CFS also

I am still getting used to my machine .. but my husband said i no longer snore or gasp for breath . so I guess this is good .. I use it even when I just take a nap..

my only prob is during the night I wake in sever pain and can no longer sleep in the bed I normally end up sitting up on the couch and sleep like that .. i dont want to move the c-pac as I would wake my husband and besides that at that point I am normally in tears from pain and in no mood to be moving anything .. we are trying to figure out what we can get for the bed so I can sit up and sleep....
    I know seveal people that that swear by there c-pac .

good luck on this .. my best wishes .
  3. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I to am a hose head. I have had a CPAP machine now for almost a year.

I also still feel tired,but i do have good nights. My Dr explained to me that with my pain,depression,anxiety,fibro do effect my sleep. I have had REM sleep but it far in between.I do wake up several times a night because of pain. So this is what is making me so tired.

Sometimes a person does need to have the machine adjusted after being home and if you gain aditional weight.

I also take Tylenol Pm to help get to sleep. The headaches could be from lack of sleep,allergies.

I have not snored or gasp for air when using the machine.

You must use it All the time,even for naps. I can't sleep without it now.I have tried not using it,and the apnea is right there to wake me up.

My apnea showed 19 episodes in a hr,which is mild. Everyone is different. And don't give up on it, use it. You will get use to having it on your face. Do it for your health and your family and the people on the road.

Take care,Hugs,Robin
  4. namow

namow New Member

I heard today that y sleep study with the CPAP showed that my apnea and hypopneas went down to 0 and my oxygen level stayed at 96% so I will give it a try.

Thank you for your responses and I welcome any advise about the use of the machine.

5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

There was quite a few post on it including me as I was having a hard time getting use to it. I just got mine in December. I still am having a hard time at times. Put CPAP in the search and you will get some good information
  6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

Yahoo has a great site for cpap users also. I have learned alot from the group.

Some advice: Use your machine EVERYTIME you sleep or you will have problems,this is not something you can try and if you don't like it or it makes you uncomfortable you just stop.

Some machines such as mine have a card that records if you are compliant or not,how many hrs the machine is in use,etc. Your Dr will know if you are using it or not. The Dr can report this to the Driver facility and you will lose your license.

It is very very dangerous to you,loved ones and others if you fall asleep while driving. And to you for your health--heart attack,diabetes,blood pressure just to mention a few.

There are a number of facemasks on the market. Your sleep clinic or supplier will be able to help you make a decision as to what is best or to try.

If you have more questions i am willing to help with what i can.

This is life altering, and a way of getting healthy sleep. Do not give up on it!
    Your welcome and Hugs,Robin