SLEEP APNEA CAUSED BY METHADONE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krje01, Jul 21, 2006.

1. krje01

krje01 New Member

I was told i had sleep apnea since I had been on Methadone. My question is: does other narcoctics cause sleep apnea or other medications Thanks
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I started getting sleep apnea last summer and now have cpap machine which I find very difficult to use.

I also started Pethedine (UK, morphine based drug) around the same time. I've been wondering what might have caused the sleep apnea and this might be the answer.

I just looked online and here's an article about it....glad you posted this, gives me the answer I was looking for. However I really need that pain med at night.

rosie

Cloward, MD, FCCP and Steven Rhondeau, MD
    * From the Intermountain Sleep Disorders Center (Drs. Farney, Walker and Cloward) and Department of Anesthesia/Anesthesia Pain Management Service (Dr. Rhondeau), LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT.

Correspondence to: Robert J. Farney, MD, FCCP, Intermountain Sleep Disorders Center, LDS Hospital, 325 Eighth Ave and C St, Salt Lake City, UT 84143; e-mail: rjfmd@msn.com

Three patients are described who illustrate distinctive patterns of sleep-disordered breathing that we have observed in patients who are receiving long-term, sustained-release opioid medications. Polysomnography shows respiratory disturbances occur predominantly during non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep and are characterized by ataxic breathing, central apneas, sustained hypoxemia, and unusually prolonged obstructive "hypopneas" secondary to delayed arousal responses. In contrast to what is usually observed in subjects with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), oxygen desaturation is more severe and respiratory disturbances are longer during NREM sleep compared to rapid eye movement sleep. Further studies are needed regarding the effects of opioids on respiration during sleep as well as the importance of interaction with other medications and associated risk factors for OSA.

Key Words: ataxic breathing • Biot respiration • opioids • sleep apnea

This article has been cited by other articles: (Search Google Scholar for Other Citing Articles)

D. Wang, H. Teichtahl, O. Drummer, C. Goodman, G. Cherry, D. Cunnington, and I. Kronborg
    Central Sleep Apnea in Stable Methadone Maintenance Treatment Patients
    Chest, September 1, 2005; 128(3): 1348 - 1356.
    [Abstract] [Full Text] [PDF]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOME HELP FEEDBACK SUBSCRIPTIONS ARCHIVE SEARCH TABLE OF CONTENTS
    Copyright © 2003 by the American College of Chest Physicians.

Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]