Sleep Apnea - does it make you feel worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and I'm waiting on a CPAP machine (UK wont get it til around March).

Anyway I'm wondering if those of you with sleep apnea, did you feel much worse before you got the machine. My muscle pain and tiredness have been so much worse these past six months, I'm getting no relief at all.

I'm now thinking that this coincides with me getting sleep apnea and maybe thats the reason.

Thanks

love
    Rosie
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

I saw no one had posted to you.

From what I know, sleep apnea can make you sick.

Seems that many docs think that fibromyalgia is due to not getting enough stage 4 sleep, it could very well be making you worse.

once you get your machine, you may start to feel better.

I hope so.
    Kendra
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you noticed no-one replied - I do that too, reply to people who have no replies.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see, just thought someone would know.

Thanks again
    Rosie
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes, sleep apnea makes you feel worse. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before I began having the severe pain from fibromyalgia.

I could not concentrate, would fall asleep in church, at my desk, driving......

I was not having a lot of muscle pain at the time, but it really affected how tired I was.

Cpap really helped. For me it was not an overnight 100% reversal. I think you build up such a sleep deficit that it takes awhile.

I also notice the nights I don't sleep as well (I use my cpap all night, every night) I have more pain the next day.

Cpap just keeps your airway open, I needed something to help me go to sleep and stay asleep.

5. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I was diagnosed 11 years ago. Yes it makes you feel awful. If you have FM or CFS you feel doubly worse. Mine was so bad my husband couldn't even sleep in the same room with me. I now use a CPAP and find it helps tremendously.

Hope this helped.
  6. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I am going through much of what you are.

I was tested and diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea ie. stopped breathing 19 times in one hour.

Twice I stopped breathing for 59 seconds.

Anyway I have aCpap machine on loan to see how it works for me.

It has taken some getting used to!!!

I seem to to be feeling a little better during the day.

I am experiencing less pain and have more energy.

Last night I could'nt use the machine because I have a whopper of a cold sore on my upper lip.

I go on tuesday for the final readout to see what my sleep patterns are on the machine.

Then it is up to me if I purchase one or not.

Take good care. Denamay
  7. prk1116

prk1116 New Member

I've been using a CPAP for a while and it does help me sleep better, but alas has not relieved all my aches and pains.
    Good luck!
  8. Musica

Musica New Member

Sleep apnea can make you feel worse. When you stop breathing, your brain "wakes" you up to start breathing. It is only for 2-3 seconds, so you are not conscious of it. The thing is, waking you up like that probably means you don't get into or can't stay in Stage IV delta sleep, which is the restorative sleep. My sleep doc isn't into this theory, but my rheumy is convinced that lack of Stage IV has a significant effect on FM.

Without restorative or healing sleep, you can imagine that you don't get good sleep or give your body a chance to recuperate. So, you are likely to be in more pain. I am on a CPAP. I haven't been on it long enough to say it definitely helps me feel better, but I know on nights I consciously wake up a lot and don't get enough sleep, I do hurt more the next day.

Regardless of anything having to do with FM, do remember that sleep apnea, especially moderate or severe, significantly increases the risk of heart failure or stroke. It takes awhile to get used to the CPAP, believe me! But keep persisting. It probably took me 4 or 5 months before I started sleeping well with it consistently. There are many many different masks available, too, including nasal tubes, which I use. So if one doesn't work for you, try others.
  9. wangotango

wangotango New Member

my dad has sleep apn and went on the machine it has made a big difference in him. good luck bill
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

for answering.

I'm hoping I get my CPAP machine before March and that it will make a difference.

I dont expect it to make a whole lot of difference to my pain levels but maybe I'll feel just a little better.

Thanks

love
    Rosie
  11. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

After years of stressful situations,I was tested for sleep apnea.I had been trying to work but would go to sleep driving to work.I thought sleep apnea was such a crock.After getting the machine,in a week I could tell a difference.In 6 weeks I had energy like I had not experienced in a long time.It takes a while to get used to wearing the machine but do not give up.It really helps.I had been taking care of my Mom and Dad,both termanilly ill with cancer, for several months.Mom would be up 18 to 20 times a night. I was on call 24/7,I was the only child.The sleep I was getting wasn't a deep sleep.After Mom's passing my doctor told me to go home and sleep until I woke up.I slept for 4 days,felt some better,but still had the concern of my Dad in my mind.After his passing and I had a little time for myself,I had the apnea testing.I would have never believed what a difference it made.God Bless
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm so sorry you lost both your parents, it must have been a very hard time for you.

I'm glad the machine has helped, I'm looking forward to getting mine and hopefully benefitting from it like you.

Thanks.

loveRosie
  13. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and have cpap machine, I find i still am not getting enough sleep. saw my palmonary doc (sleep doc). and he told me that with fibro, i still needed something to help me get to sleep, and stay asleep. but that the cpap will keep my air way open so i don't stop breathing. i hate the machine but use it to breath. but in my second sleep study with useing the machine i still didn't get stage 4 sleep. I hope the machine works well for you, everyone is different. My friend says she gets the best nights sleep with her cpap. but then she doesn't have fibro. she swears by the machine. i keep using it, and keep hoping . good luck with yours, be thinking about you
    becca
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have problems with sleep too apart from the apnea and I know the machine wont keep me asleep but should stop me from waking up so often.

love
    Rosie