Sleep Apnea Mask (CPAP) Decreases Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 20, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Sleep Apnea Mask Decreases Blood Pressure

According to new research, patients with the nighttime breathing disorder obstructive sleep apnea who receive air through a mask while they sleep can significantly reduce their blood pressure.

In obstructive sleep apnea, the upper airway narrows, or collapses, during sleep. Periods of apnea end with a brief partial arousal that may disrupt sleep hundreds of times a night. More than half of those with sleep apnea also have high blood pressure, and their blood pressure does not fall during sleep as it does in most people. Sleep apnea can have significant consequences on a person's physical health.

The most widely used treatment for sleep apnea is a technique called nasal CPAP, which stands for continuous positive airway pressure. It delivers air through a mask while the patient sleeps. The treatment has proved successful in many cases at providing a good night's sleep and preventing daytime accidents due to sleepiness. Supplementary oxygen is sometimes used as a treatment for sleep.

Researchers from the University of California San Diego Medical School studied 46 patients with moderate to severe sleep apnea. They were randomly assigned to receive CPAP treatment, a fake CPAP, or supplemental nighttime oxygen through a face mask. All patients were hooked up to a 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor. After two weeks, patients who received the real CPAP treatment had significant reductions in blood pressure during the day and night. Nighttime oxygen therapy did not affect blood pressure.

"There has been some controversy over how sleep apnea causes elevated blood pressure," says Daniel Norman M.D. "Doctors don't know if it is due to drops in oxygen levels or arousals from sleep. Our study indicated that correcting drops in oxygen levels alone may not be enough to reduce blood pressure."

SOURCE: American Thoracic Society International Conference, San Diego, May 19-24, 2006

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am glad people can get more benefits out of those masks...my brother wears one...and it has made the world of difference om in his sleeping..and not being so darn tired...

jodie
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The thing to do with the mask is to wear the thing at times when you are not sleeping. Put it on while you watch your favorite TV show, and you may get involved and forget about the mask.

The first week I had mine, and I tried the nasal thing first and was allergic to the material in the mipples and my nose swelled up twice its' size, I put it on for a few minutes at a time and became adjusted to it and I LOVE IT NOW.
  4. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

i'm on a cpap and have been for about a year it doesn't help my blood pressure
  5. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

When I first got the cpap my b/p went down from 120/80 to 100/70. Then my mask broke and I havent found one that I like as well. I really didnt like that one that well either. I swear the nasal thingys and air would make me feel like I had the nose of the dad off Good Times. I need to figure out a way to force myself to wear it. When I went to the dr last week my b/p was at an all time high of 160/100.

6. azbubba

azbubba New Member

...it's the fact that your heart isn't having to work without oxygen all night.

When I was dx'd w/OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea), I got a nasal mask w/my CPAP machine, but found I was just breathing through my mouth (AKA didn't work). Then I got a full-face mask, Fisher & Paykel FlexiFit431. I love it, and the tech that fitted me says that most everyone that has tried it has stayed with it.

My bp didn't really drop either, and it's high. The interesting thing is that when the cardiologist did an ultrasound of the ol' ticker, he said the right side was enlarged because of the OSA. That would stand to reason; when I had my sleep study done, they found my pulse ox had dropped to 73%...NOT good.

Hope my rambling helps SOMEONE...
    Bubba
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I sleep in a cpap mask and it does not help my BP. I wish it did as my PB has just been getting higher and higher and the meds. do not seem to work.