Sleep Apnea Restless leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Noahvale, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Well Guys its another day at the doctor office.

I went in thinking they might change my meds because of pain and now I have to spend a night at the hosital for a sleep apnea test and find out if I have restless leg syndrome. If it isn't one thing it is another. I thought I was out of the woods because I was told I didn't have any of these, but according to my doc I have to have these to confirm it one way or another.

Has anyone else gone thru this testing??

Wish me luck everyone!!

My prayers are always with you folks too!!

noahvale--kathy
  2. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Hayleycole

You are the Bomb! I love how you make people smile!

Thank you for the Information I will take my owm blanket and pillow.

God bless you!

Noahvale--kathy
  3. azbubba

azbubba New Member

If you're not already taking one, a sleep aid like Ambien or Lunesta. For a lot of people (like myself), sleeping in an unfamiliar environment is difficult.

I had fun at my last sleep clinic. I went to sleep with a humidified CPAP machine with a full face mask, which means I had air blowing across a small tank of water, and then into my mask. I never did this at home, but at the clinic I rolled over completely, emptying the humidifier resevoir into the hose, into my mask, and all over the bed, without waking up, until the tech came into the room to gently inform me I was sleeping in a soaked bed.

Here's hoping your visit is less eventful.

Bubba
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for your sleep study- you'll mess up the results.
  5. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Bubba and Alaska,

Thanks for the input.

Bubba: I don;t think I could sleep tht sound I wake up to much as it is and when the kids used to sleep with me and they pee'd the bed I never had a problem detecting that. Although you story is funny. I am glad you didn't drown.

Alaska: I haven't met with the sleep doctor yet, but do they suggest that too? Because I don;t care about amitriptilene its the Lexapro I am on that I need.

Thanks again.

God Bless you Both!

Noahvale--kathy
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My son had a sleep study and they wouldn't even let him take his vitamins/supplements! I guess some are different- Terri
  7. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I had one and they let me take all my meds. Just call and ask them, different places might do it differently. Mine was done in a hospital.
    cindy
  8. Lightswitch

Lightswitch New Member

turns out, i had enlarged tonsils making it harder to breath sometimes... i snored a little bit, but not super bad, but enought to interupt my sleep. Per the test, I got less than 20 minutes of REM the entire night, even though I THOUGHT i was sleeping the whole time.

No restless leg syndrome...but i've heards about it.

Sleep Apnea is hard to deal with, b/c it's not always a case like mine, with simple tonsillectomy and back to normal... Having the machine has helped some of my friends, but they find it a nuisance to use and it bothers family members sharing the bed...

The test is NOT fun.. They hook you up to this machine, put pads/wires in your hair and wrap up your head, and then they put that pulse monitor thing on your finger, and expect you to sleep NORMAL. In a hospital bed nonetheless...

The worst part for me, was having the pads taken off at 7am (earlier than i usually wake up)...and then having all the goo left over and not being able to shower before my long ride home. EWW. HAHAHA... all facilities are different, I'm sure.

Anyway, Good luck KATHY, let us know how you do!

9. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I will see the sleep doctor on the 19th and then I will have the sleep study done in about a month. They have alot of people to do so they told me to be patient and they would put me on the cancellation list..Yee Haww. I have to be honest, I just want to get this over. I can't get anymore meds to help me sleep until I have this done so the waiting is killing me, and right now I am in alot of pain.

God bless too everyone..take car and keep me in your prayers!!

Noahvale--Kathy

10. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Thank you both for the interest in my post. I didn't know I would have to wear wires on my head. Will someone please let me know if there is some thing that will take the goo out. This is going to be quite the experience for me I can tell by all of the responces.. I will need all your prayers and guidence to get through this.

God bless you all!!

Noahvale--Kathy
  11. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I wish I had known to bring a blanket, I did take my pillow. The bed sheet is over a plastic protector, so at first I was hot, then they put the AC on and i froze. I had no stage 4 sleep at all. There was also no TV in the room, so take a book if you need to do something to help you relax.

You might ask about having your ferritin checked. I do have PRLS, and the doc said anemia can also cause it, and my ferritin was only 35.

So now I sleep eith my nasal pillow CPAP which scared my dogs at first.:) (I am divorced so they sleep with me), but they are used to it now. It does take some getting used too tho.

Hope this helps,

Warmly,
    maggie