Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Curious as to how many of you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea???
  2. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but i started taking guaifenessin before i go to sleep and my sleeping problems are almost gone. Accept the dog and hubby crowding the bed. i had a really bad experience with the sleep doctor.

Angell
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Tee hee, I understand about the dog and the hubby

Can I ask what the bad experience with the sleep doc was?
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

severe sleep apnea too but cant wear the cpap machine, well I can wear it for 2 hours but never able to get to sleep with it on.

Rosie
  5. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Hi Empower: I have obstructive sleep apnea. The first thing my rheumy insisted on was a sleep study. I did two which were done in my home (makes it much easier). I use a cpap with humidifier and a gel mask which fits overs my nose only. It took a little while to get use to it but I do OK.

After learning that it could help my fibro and then hearing the risks of heart attacks from sleep apnea, I was determined to use my machine. I even fuss at my husband (who should probably be on one also) if I snore at all. I've told him I shouldn't and to wake me up so I can make sure my mask is on correctly. Normally if the seal breaks on my mask it wakes me up, but sometimes it doesn't.

If sleep studies or cpap have been recommended for you, please do it. Not just because of the fibro, but the risk of dying in your sleep. It can happen.

I don't know if you follow football at all, but Reggie White (who was a former UT player and went on to NFL) died from a heart attack brought on by sleep apnea. And TN Titan player Antwan Odom was diagnosed with sleep apnea, had some type of corrective surgery and began using a cpap (to the best of my recollection) and during this time, his sister died of a heart attack brought on my sleep apnea.

It's nothing to fool around with. I didn't realize how serious it could be. Please take care if this is a problem for you.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Best Wishes!
    Pam