Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

To those of you that have sleep apnea, can you describe the symptoms?
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, empower.

I have obstructive sleep apnea, and I can tell you what my symptoms were before I got an APAP machine:

Snoring, according to my wife
    Stopping my breathing periodically while sleeping, according to my wife.
    Waking up occasionally with a gasp or a snort
    Waking up every morning with a headache and with my ears ringing
    Waking up feeling unrefreshed
    Being groggy during the day and needing a nap in the afternoon
    Not being able to remember the details of what happened the previous day.
    Being a dangerous driver, such as by rolling through stop signs as though they weren't there.
    Since I have allergies at certain times during the year, these would make the situation worse at those times by giving me congestion.

This is a sign rather than a symptom, but I also had high blood pressure. This is another one of the dangerous aspects of sleep apnea, if you don't realize you have it. Doctors don't always think about possible sleep apnea when they see someone with high blood pressure. A friend of mine had a stroke because of the high blood pressure from sleep apnea, not realizing that he had it. He recovered from the stroke, and now he has an APAP machine just like mine!

Because sleep apnea happens while you're asleep, you may not realize that you have it. If it weren't for my wife's insistence that I get checked out a few years ago, I would probably have had either a stroke or an automobile wreck.

Best regards,

3. Ahbin

Ahbin New Member

I have most of your sysmtoms. Can you please tell me what APAP stands for and whee I can get one? TI'm from Malaysia. Thank you.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I may have accidently bumped one thread last night. Not sure if it was this one. I replied and the words just did not look right. I edited a couple of times and then gave up.

Have you thought about being a moderator? You seem to have the skills that are needed and I mean that as a compliment!!

Love the poem.