Sleep Apnea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Please let me know about your Sleep Apnea experiences.

I learned just this morning that I have joined the wonderful world with those who have been dx'd w/ Severe Sleep Apnea.

Of course I should have asked my doctor questions but I was caught so off guard by what he had to say!

I thought I slept VERY WELL when I had my sleep study. In fact I thought when I left there that I had just wasted a lot of time and money!

Was I ever surprised!
    My Dr. said I stopped breathing 28 times during an hour. (Can this be correct?)

I have many so questions. Are the CPAP Machines expensive? Hard to "fit"? Are they noisy?
    What about maintenance? Difficult to tolerate? There goes the romance?

Looking forward to your responses!

2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

If not I'd leave the mask off till its time to! The machine I have is not loud...but there is some noise. The hardest part of the process is finding a mask that fits your face properly with a minimum of leaks. Not sure on the paid for mine.

To be honest though I am still as sleepy as ever...I think because of the FM/CFS it is hard to get away from being tired. That's how we roll:)

But I do find comfort that in the night I AM breathing!!!

You should have to go back for a second study with the CPAP machine in place.

Good Luck!
  3. satchya

satchya New Member

My sweetie has sleep apnea, and had it for a long time before he was officially diagnosed. His cpap machine is a Godsend!!! I cannot overemphasize the positive change it has made in his life.

I don't find it noisy, it's a nice soothing white noise (like running a fan or the air conditioner or heater). The only times DH has had discomfort with it were 1.) when it was almost time to replace the parts that go directly against your face or 2.) he ran it without adding water to the chamber and it dried out his sinuses.

As far as romance, we make it a point to cuddle BEFORE he puts the mask on. It isn't sexy looking that's for sure ;). But since we were often sleeping in separate beds because of his loud snoring waking me up multiple times a night, I'd say it's been a big net gain for our relationship. It was actually him being tired of waking up to find me gone to another room that convinced him to get tested.

He could never seem to get enough sleep before (always wanted naps, had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning) and now I have a hard time getting him to get the amount of sleep I think he should get because he's not sleepy all the time like he used to be.

We're going camping all weekend and I am NOT looking forward to sharing a tent with his loud snores. I sure wish that machine could run on batteries.
  4. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Too funny!

I think most will agree that FM/CFS'ers remain tired.

Glad it has made you more comfortable.

Yes, the doctor did say that I had to have another study done...once I get the machine.

Thanks for your input, Deb!

5. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Funny you should say this as I'm thinking I should let my hubby borrow this very other night or so! Just kidding!

Try to have a good weekend! Think R.E.L.A.X!

6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

And everyone with sleep apnea. There is a web site that is very informative. And a great group of people who are willing to help. It is I have learned alot from them.
    To the person who is going camping. If you ask on this site someone will give you info on going camping with a cpap machine. There are batteries for them. We always get a site with electric.
  7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I will check out the site!