Sleep, but NOT to sleep????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobolee, Mar 3, 2003.

1. bobolee

bobolee New Member

I have had the strangest thing going on this last week. I feel as if I am not really sleeping well - as if I am sleeping lightly and always thinking or dreaming. But my husband says I am in a deep sleep, he gets up a couple times through the night, and I don't hear him. He also says I am making noise and snoring. It is hard for me to believe I am really sleeping like that, as I dont feel like I am nor do I feel rested when I wake up. Now I have started waking up right at 4 am also. This is weird and scary!!!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. skychomper

skychomper Member

hi bobolee,
    I also have this problem- when I wake up I feel like I haven't really slept at all, and that the whole time I was half awake/half asleep and in some quasi-asleep state. I feel like if I could just get a good night's sleep in, my body could do some of the repairs it needs to. I find that I can't get to sleep sometimes until 4 or five in the morning. this usually happens around my relapses (cfs) During my better periods I can usually get to sleep at a decent time but its still not the quality sleep I need.
    I haven't done anything about this yet, but I've heard that low-dose antidepressants may help this. try not to be scared, we're here for you.
    -skychomper
  3. nancyw

nancyw New Member

I've been having this same weird type of sleep for over a year now. I feel like I'm just lightly sleeping, but am dreaming this weird stuff - like I'm really awake and just going through my day. I've actually woken myself up carrying on conversations. I can look at the clock and fall back into this weird state and what seems like 5 minutes has really been an hour. Really strange! I'm not married, but I have been told that I snore now and laugh and talk by my daughter when we're camping or at a hotel. It is scary, because it's hard to explain what it feels like, but you know it's different. You're not the only one! Hang in there.
  4. baybe

baybe New Member

waking between 3 and 4 has been going on for years, some myths even believe that is the empowerment time for women. That's when you can make your brews and work your magic, mostly I think it is connected to getting up right before dawn to wait on the men, but the other story seems better.
    I personally sleep best between 4 am and 12noon, I fought it for years while I raised my daughter, but if I don't get settled down before 8 PM, I kick into a second gear and am up all night. My hubby says I talk away, all night long, Poor Guy, I talk away while I'm awake, besides fibro I have non-stop talking disease, lol. I also learned that with fibro you may not go into the deepest sleep, but the body may go into deep sleep and while in that phase,we are unable to move that is a physiological deal and if you wake in this phase, you feel like you are awake, but can't quite get there,which is actually the case. I used to try to scream to get my husband to shake me and finish waking me up but I couldn't. Since, I learned about that phase, I am less panicked when I am passing through that phase upon waking up.
  5. swred5

swred5 New Member

My husband and I work the overnight shift, and were just out of town with my in-laws so of course we changed our sleeping schedule. We went to take a "nap" so that we would be able to flip our schedule back and I laid there for 3 1/2 hours being able to hear everything, yet having strange dreams. I woke up feeling like someone ran me over (worse than usual, usually a 16 wheeler, this time must have been an 18!) and have felt like poop all night long. Of course now I am exhausted, but still not sleepy! The sleep seems to be the worst aspect of this disease for me, as the lack of sleep makes the pain so much worse!! I always feel like a walking zombie, and I know working the overnight shift makes it even worse! With my job I just know I couldn't handle working it during the day! Oh well, here's hoping sleep will come to me this morning, and tonight will be a better "day"! xoxo
  6. dawnie1960

dawnie1960 New Member

and I've always described it as feeling like I am wide awake thinking and hearing things all night long. And I am aware of whats going on around me. I will pop an eye open at least once an hour and check the clock, then heave a big sigh, roll over and wonder if I'll EVER sleep again.

But when this is going on my body feels almost paralized and I can't move.

In the morning it'll feel like I maybe got an hours sleep, and I'll usually wake up earlier than normal (usual for me is 8am) And I'll just drag my a$$ around all day, absolutely drained. Can't wait to get home after work and go right to bed.

But know what? I'll go home, try to have a bite to eat, watch some tv and then BOOM! I'm WIDE AWAKE and I'll stay up till 1 or 2 am.

Then usually, the rest of the week is shot because of this yo-yo sleep cycle and I'll feel like poop until the weekend when I can sleep in and catch up.

I take amitriptiline and benadryl and this will still happen sometimes. Sometimes these drugs will knock me out but then around 3-4 in the morning I'll jump out of bed from a deep sleep and think I've slept in and am late for work. (I really hate when I do this on a weekend!) And of course, this has interrupted my deep sleep and the viscious cycle begins again!

I'm so glad this silly, annoying, crappy stuff doesn't just happen to me!! :)

....sweet dreams!!!!!! Dawn