Sleep but wild dreams

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shell, Dec 2, 2002.

1. shell

shell New Member

Not being able to sleep seems to be common for FM and there are even theories that it contributes to the other symptoms. But, I seem to sleep like an exhausted log. My question is how many of you that do sleep experience wild vivid dreams? I seem to out dream most of my friends and co-workers. They are surprised by the number and vividness of my dreams. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if it could be exasperating the same problems as the non-sleepers - not getting to the restorative stage of sleep.
  2. shell

shell New Member

Not being able to sleep seems to be common for FM and there are even theories that it contributes to the other symptoms. But, I seem to sleep like an exhausted log. My question is how many of you that do sleep experience wild vivid dreams? I seem to out dream most of my friends and co-workers. They are surprised by the number and vividness of my dreams. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if it could be exasperating the same problems as the non-sleepers - not getting to the restorative stage of sleep.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had vivid, horrible dreams many times, but lately they have been few and far between.

Could it be some medication you are taking? some have been known to cause vivid dreams. Mine were just came naturally!

I am sleeping deeply and if I am dreaming I don't seem to remember it. I do take ZMA for deep sleep and it seems to have wiped out the dreams/night frights.

This is about all I can help with.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

My doctor told me that our bodies have to catch up on REM sleep(the part where we are dreaming) and I would have wild dreams until I did catch up. It went on for a month or more and then settled down again. I rarely remember them at all anymore now and I seem to be getting enough sleep at the present.
  5. kellym

kellym New Member

In fact, I mostly have nightmares that seem SOOOO real, its scary! I've started on Melatonin, but it hasn't helped yet.
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

If you are dreaming---during a large part of the night, you are spending much more time in the REM stage of sleep---this isn't deep level, stage 4, restorative sleep.

I have recently read about meds that have been reported to bring on--very vivid, wild, and also nightmarish dreams as a side effect. Sorry, bad day here, can't recall which they were. Maybe it will come to me.

Karen
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

Suffers of narcolopsy suffer from unusually wild vivid dreams that they often dont disclose because of the fear of being crazy. Excessive fatigue can be caused by Narc. If you dont have all the body aches etc do a search and read up on this because the two cross paths in many places and one could easily be in the wrong group of suffers. It's no better because it is a lifelong struggle to keep functioning.
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I used to get the vivid dreams so bad, I just wanted to die from it. Always bad dreams, never good ones. I don't get it as often anymore, or at least I'm not remembering if I am. I have found that since starting on Magnesium supplements, about 500mg per day, I seem to be sleeping better.

TeaBisqit
  9. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Shell:
    I have frequent wild dreams only when I take sleeping medication. Could your medicine be it????
    sue
  10. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I've had wild, wonderous, science-fiction dreams all my life. I love mine. They take up hours of time and are very colorful. That's the cool ones. But I also have recurrent nightmares that I have at least 3 times a week. They are dreadful, exhausting battles. REM sleep is not stage four sleep. REM is stage three. We are none of us getting very much stage four. Drugs also do not allow stage four. Perhaps some herbals will, but I can't take them. I do know that Mirapex causes really bad night terrors. So does Halcion. I hope this helps. N
  11. shell

shell New Member

I am not on any meds right now. I have been reading about sleep this afternoon - found a couple of interesting tidbits may not be related to FM:

Did you know that all anti-depressant drugs are effective because they dramatically reduce REM sleep? Scientists aren’t sure exactly why reduced REM relieves depression—but it does.

Also:
    Serotonin is very connected to REM sleep and dreaming.

Still doing research. Guess I am just trying to connect the dots so I can figure out/ prevent the problems. Any more input would be great!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2002]
  12. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I've heard that Effexor could cause vivid dreaming. I do take it. I have always been a vivid dreamer, but I have some really funny dreams now and also some very scary ones. I recently had a dream that I was captive in a compound like a cult, and I was beating off the captor with my purple feather boa and during the dream, also admiring my sweater and my butt. Go figure (excuse the pun). BonBons