Sleep depravation how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bubblesgirl, Oct 10, 2005.

1. bubblesgirl

bubblesgirl New Member

Thanks to all who replied to my first message, it's very heartening to know there is so much support and true warmth among so many strangers who I hope will become email friends.
    I am having a particulary rough time at the moment and not sleeping properly. I will sleep for about two hours and then wake up and can't return back to sleep. I am then up half the night and really awake and raring to go. I am faced with going to work all day and sooner or later know I am going to pay for this. It's scarey wondering what is going to happen to me. It's like being on a roller coaster and thinking about the exhileration of the ride, but then thinking will my legs go, will I be sick,what's the pay back, when I get off? I don't want to be ill again, I am sick of living with the pain and the disruption to my life
    but more importantly I am scared of where this is all leading to, I just want to sleep properly again.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Sandy
  2. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear bubblesgirl. Sleep deprivation - and being awake more than half the night - is really, really bad. After I finally received a diagnosis, my CFS doctor said that trying to regain my circadian rhythm ie. sleep at night, be awake during the day was the most important thing: Otherwise, other symptoms would just get worse. Have worked my way through various sleeping aids, staying mainly at the more 'gentle' end of the range. Some worked well, some worked for a time, some didn't work at all. For the last eight months, my CFS doctor has had me on 1/2 stilnox and 1/2 hypnodorm - combination of medication that my local GP nearly freaked out about when I told her. However, I sleep for 4-5 hours straight, which is close to heaven, and there is no morning after blur, which might happen with someone who did not have CFS and I have not built up a tolerance. If I were you, I would really focus on trying various things, especially if you can get in touch with a CFS doctor, who knows some of the weird things that do sometimes work for CFS people. Alternative stuff can sometime work. Acupuncture? Pain relief? Airconditioning? A teddy bear to cuddle? There is something out there for you.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Sandy, I think we all have this problem!!

The first thing that I would suggest is to talk with your doctor about having a Sleep Study performed. That will indicate whether or not you are getting "quality" sleep.

That is normally the problem--not getting the correct amount of quality, or the right type of, sleep.

Once that is determined, a doc will know where to go from there.

In my case, I have obstructive sleep apnea and I must sleep with a CPAP machine with oxygen. Now I usually get a really good night's sleep every night. However, I also take a muscle relaxer (Zanaflex) before bedtime every night, too.

Hugs,
    Janet