Sleep deprivation can =hypothyroid and diabetes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Jun 14, 2006.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Has anyone else heard this? I was watching late night TV this week and heard it and it made sense to me. It was telling how long term sleep deprivation, (you know, similar or exactly like what we folks with fibro and CFS struggle with so often that it is a way of life for us?)may lead to eventual hypothyroidism and Type 2 diabetes.

Okay, as for me, Fibro-check, CFS- check, never slept normally in my life except for while anesthestized for surgery-check...diabetes-check, undergoing bloodwork next week for suspected hypothyroidism-check.

So what has everyone else experienced? I can definitely see the possibilities, heck, I already live with one of the realities. If we do not sleep properly, I imagine it opens our entire systems up to any and all forms of malfunctions with time. What say y'all?
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Isn't it so that the lab tests often come back normal with FM anyways? I have reactive hypoglycemia, and it seems my thyroid is playing games too, but the labs are always normal.

It is frustrating, huh?! :)
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

More and more now I am hearing of patients becoming more proactive and asking for the specific printouts on their lab results. For far too long, people have been told that "all your results fell well within the normal range."

Mmmmmkay, but the thing is, those *normals* can and have been known to change and the patient has the right to know all the facts. For the thyroid, is the T-3, T-4 and TSH all being tested. And since I am far from being a physician, if anyone else reading this knows of more specifics which need to be tested regarding the thyroid, please feel free to jump in and post.

I just think that we all need to educate ourselves as much as possible and ask questions about those labs. Don't do as I have done for so many years and just say "yes doctor," when I was told my labs were normal.
  4. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

And I wonder too, if it cannot be a contributor of midlife weight problems. I mean, think about it, if we never feel rested, how can we feel like moving enough to keep the weight down? (Not that it is at the top of my list of worries but I do wonder?)