Sleep Deprivation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by McMinn, Jul 30, 2003.

1. McMinn

McMinn New Member

HI -

I'm new here -been dealing with pretty bad sleep deprivation and am intolerant to most meds - sometimes only get a few hours sleep a night- anyone try anthing they have success with??? Have MCS too- maybe thats what is causing my intolerance to meds - who knows - its just so hard to exist lately with cfs and no sleep. Thanks for input - Michelle McMinn from San Diego
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I too have insomnia and EXTREME intolerance to meds

What helps me is Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc (in one pill)

Also, I can take a teeny tiny slice of Remeron (antidepressant) and this helps me to sleep

It is the Only thing that has helped me to sleep
  3. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

My aunt, who has FM and suffers with insomnia says that the tea called sleepy time tea helps her to sleep at night.

Also,Melatonin might help. You can find it in pill form at any health food store. Here's some information about it from an article I read on the net:-

Melatonin is the all-natural nightcap. It's secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness." At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of it produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people.

"Studies suggest that... supplements can hasten sleep and ease jet lag, without the hazards or side effects of prescription sleeping pills." It may have many other uses and has been reported to make people feel better, strengthen the immune system, and reduce free radicals in the body. Current research is underway to determine it's effect as an anti-oxidant, immno-modulator in cancer, delayed sleep-phase disorders, and jet lag. Tests are still under way so there is much to still be learned about it and its effects on the human body.

Travelers and people suffering from mild sleep disorders. According to Newsweek, a typical comment from discussion groups on the Internet is, "'Folks, I've tried it and it's great. It has ...restored my sleep cycle, given me lots of energy.'"

Hope this helps.
    Alicia
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you do not want to take an Rx, you can try the ZMA sold here. It has helped many to get good quality sleep and it is safe to use with meds.

Love, Mikie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Just a caution. Please do not try the SleepyTime tea suggested above if you are allergic to ragweed. Chammomile is a very close relative and can cause allergic reactions in those who are sensitive to ragweed.
    Most of us have our night and day time brain waves reversed. There are several things that may help.
    One is to take a small dose of Cortef 5-10 mgs. every morning, but it is hard to get docs to prescribe this. You may be able to get them to prescribe DHEA though, as long as you have an 8 am fasting blood cortisol level under 16.
    Another is Neurobiofeedback, which claims to reverse the brain waves back to where they should be. It is expensive, and not many Neurologists are doing it yet. It is not covered by insurance.
    If your thyroid function is subnormal (most of ours are), that will cause insomnia. Get a thyroid panel done ,including a free T 3 test, and do not let them tell you your TSH is normal unless it's less than 3, and preferrably less than 2.
    I have given up on conventional doctors ,since most of them do not know any of this stuff and are not willing to help. I only go to holistic doctors now, as they have helped me more in a few months than in the past 17 yrs. of seeing regular docs.
    Klutzo
  6. McMinn

McMinn New Member

I have tried Klonopin- It worked for one night and then not the next - pretty intolerant I would say. What is ZMA that is sold here - have not heard of it. Thanks, Michelle
  7. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

After my liver cleansing protocol and the very restricted diet to help cleanse my live I really think that I am much less intolerant to meds. Makes sense I think if our livers strain out (so to speak) things our bodies do not need and they are malfunctioning then they do not regulate the meds and thus we get more of the medication than our body needed.

I don't know if this makes too much sense but I feel the huge difference and just hope and pray it continues.