Sleep Disturbance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Member, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Member

Member New Member

Hi everyone: Any suggestions about what to do about sleep disurbance? In addition to Paxil and Lipitor before bedtime, I'm taking 75 mg of Amitriptylene. I'm only getting 6 or 7 hours of unrestful sleep and waking up every hour or two?? I've had back to back flareups nearly all week. Better days :) :) Member.......Pat
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think people taking Klonopin have success. (I haven't taken anything to help me sleep yet, going to talk to my doc about Klonopin next appt, though.) You can do a search on it in the Library. I think the article is by Dr Cheney.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Do read Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin in our library along with the sister article on SSRI's. The Paxil you are taking is an SSRI and could well be keeping you from getting restful sleep. SSRI's increase the overfiring of the neurons in the brain. Klonopin and Neurontin are antiseizure meds which smooth out the firing of the neurons which enables one to get restful sleep.

I also took the Elavil (Amitriptylene) and it made me sleep but did not give me quality sleep. I woke up hung over and just as tired as when I went to bed. Some here have gotten good sleep with it but many have not. Again, what works for one will not necessarily work for another.

Same thing with the Klonopin and Neurontin. For me, though, the Klonopin has been a God send. I get eight hours of restful sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. It also helps with anxiety, sensory overload, and my tinnitus. I no longer clench my teeth at night and my muscle spasms and cramps have almost gone. I consider the Klonopin one drug I could not do without.

I find SSRI's scary and do not think they are good for us. They cause overfiring of the neurons which, according to Cheney, will lead to brain damage. Too many docs unqualified to prescribe these powerful medications hand out prescriptions and samples for them like candy.

The decision of which drugs to take is an individual one, but I do think we need to have info in order to make informed decisions.

Love, Mikie
  4. jka

jka New Member

i take 200 mg of trazadone and 1 mg
    alprazolam.if i wake up during the night and can't get back to sleep i take5 mg of ambien.there are also some natural things to try.melatonin,valarein,5htp.good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2003]
  5. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

i'm lucky if I get 2 every three days