SLEEP! Does anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 26, 2005.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

Guys I never sleep. I take Elavil, Klonapin, Duragesic patches and cymbalta at night. I never sleep more than 2 to 3 hours at a time. Does anyone take anything to help them sleep?
  2. steach

steach Member

I could be mistaken, but, I believe that Elavil and Cymbalta are sometimes stimulants for some people. That combination at night may be the reason for not sleeping.

When I took Ambien, I would fall right to sleep, however, I was wide awake in 3-4 hours.

You might want to ask your doc about taking the Elavil and Cymbalta during the day; I would venture to say that your doc may say to take one in the morning and the other later in the afternoon.

Ask your doc about Melatonon- it is produced naturally by the body (the pineal gland). I believe the Melatonin can be taken up to 3mg. at night.

What mg of Klonopin are you taking? I take 2mg. For me, I need to take it about two hours before going to bed. Sometimes, the timing of taking the medication is just as important as WHAT you take.

Two other medications that you may want to discuss with your doctor are Flexeril (muscle relaxer) and Benadryl. I don't know how they would interact with the other medications.

Alot of times, trying to find the right combination of meds is trial-and-error. You should discuss this with your doc before trying anything new- it could interfere with other meds.

Good ZZZZZZZZ's!

Steach
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

What's sleep!!!...lol....beeen so long since I have had a decents nights sleep. Have forgotten what one is:). I was given flexeril as a muscle relaxant and an sleep aid....didn't help either.

Hope you manage to get some decent sleep soon.

hugs,
    brit
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I am on a combination 100mg Elavil and 40 mg of librium. I take this about an hour before bedtime and sleep quite well most nights. However, if there is a disruption in my routine (i.e. a meeting or something) and I don't get my relaxation time in, nothing works. I will lie awake, get up and read, lie awake some more to finally fall asleep 2 hrs. before the alarm goes off!
  5. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I usually have no problem sleeping with 25 mg amitriptyline and I also take a valerian root along with that. Have been taking the amitriptyline for probably 20 years now and it still makes me sleep.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

and any sleep meds I've tried, including Klonopin, have had the reverse reaction and kept me awake for longer.

Rosie
  7. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I also had a lot of sleep problems. I take Cymbalta in the morning. Trazadone and ZMA (bought on this web sight) about an hour before I want to be asleep. The Lunesta is used when I get in bed lights out, no book, no TV. Lunesta is good for at least 6-7 hours sleep.
  8. foxyred

foxyred New Member

Hi,
    I take 100mg of benedryl,300mg of Trazadone,200mg of morphine, 20mg of Roxicodone, 22.5 of Tranzene plus various other meds at night, I sleep sitting up because it hurts to bad to lay down. And no, I still feel really lucky with 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Anybody have any luck with anything????
    foxyred
  9. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

tries to take my Amitriptyline away. It is the only thing that has made me sleep. Each tablet is 25mg and I take four per day in any combination. I always take at least two at night. Even if during the day I need more I wont take more than two so I can still have my two for sleep. Three at night is even better because I'm asleep ten minutes after my head hits the pillow.
  10. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I just chalked it up to being a night person. When the anxioty symtoms hit the dr put me on amitriptyline and that worked but I gained almost 20 lb in 3 months.

I had the dr take me off the amitriptyline and put me on a different antidepressant and the sleep problems returned. A few weeks ago I finally talked to my dr again because I was still up doing laundry, etc @ 3:30am. He gave me Ambien. I really like it. I can't even fight sleep after I take it & I am only on 10 mg.

I hope you find something that will help you - a person that does not sleep will not function the way they should.

Good luck!

Kelly
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

as was the 300 mg of trazadone.I was sleeping 6 hours-no dreams.I've been having trouble for a week but last night I had 3 hours uninterrupted
  12. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I used to have insomnia or unrefreshing sleep all the time. Now I probably have 2 nights a week of unrefreshing sleep. It has taken several months to get to this place. I take 25 mg. Nortriptiline, .5 ambien, .25 Klonopin.

I take a hot bath, do some relaxing yoga poses, drink milk, wear earplugs, and go to sleep...

13. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

taking the cymbalta in the morning. I was taking it at night and either took hours to fall asleep, or I woke up after a couple of hours for a couple of hours.

My rhumy said to take the cymbalta in the am as it gives you energy...dont know that I have more energy, but do know it keeps me from sleeping if I take it at night.

I take Elavil 50mg and sonota 10 mg at night along with the last of three times a day muscle relaxer, soma. So I fall asleep and sleep 3 to 5 hours....

hope this helps,
    rrsbaby
  14. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

I will have to ask my doctor about Ambien to see if its as good as amitriptyline. If it is worth the try I will because I've gained a HUGE amount of weight and that gets me depressed on its own. How is it on your liver? I have to be careful what I take because I messed it us with Aleve.

Thnks,
    Maree
  15. zreenie

zreenie New Member

I sleep a couple hours at a time if Im lucky. Ambien worked good at first but then I became immune.

Be careful with the amytriptylene. I gained 40 pounds on it. Took it for migraines I had for years.

It was worth the weight gain though because it did stop the migraines. I stopped taking it after a year and they never came back.

Pharmacist told me that long term use messes up transmitters in the brain????

Seems that every time we find something that works someone like me comes along and ruins it!

I say, whatever works and makes you feel better without causing any more problems than you already have!

Good luck!
  16. hubby

hubby New Member

I too hafve trouble sleeping and thought I had it halfway licked just recently, taking my meds at 10.00 and then making myself stay in bed, falling asleep, getting up to bathroom at about 3-4 and then making myself go back to bed, and slept until about 7.,

I thought I was in heaven. I had just started taking 20 mg of Cipralis anti-depressant, and now all the sudden back where I was. Go to sleep at 10.00 up at 4:00 and long days then. I would love to just have a normal night sleep of 6-7 hrs, which I think I have proved is about right for me. I usually do get about 5 hrs, maybe interupted about every hour, and so what is sleep.

I would love a pill to do that more than anything else in the world. Not only do I feel different than others, and lonely with what I have because cannot relie on plans with people, but also lonely as only one up at night. I love night, but when it gets light then second wind and it is okay.

I wish anyone would get with our program and I think as they say if we got good sleep we might be able to function better. Have tried it all, and klonipin works sometimes, but on high dose have taken so long.

I am afraid to try and kick it, as my new Dr does not want me taking it, but if I miss it I start itching all over, and did not realize until just the other night when I found my pills all made in my cup that I haad not taken and I had a horrible night, the only thing that I could have itched all night from.

I then slept the day, but had chills, and sweats and did not sleep good until late afternoon. I cannot imagine the hell of trying to get off it, what is it that you could take to try and get off without withdrawal, my Dr has no advise, just acts like well you aren't getting anymore and doesn't even act like it is dangerous to stop taking. I am on .2mg and sometime .25 at night, so it is much higher than the .5 that most are on.

I am sleepy finally after painting all day for two days and at least two more ahead of me, I cannot believe I am still up. I think I finally can sleep and maybe until 7:00 or so and be glad got it that way instead of 10 to 4 long day then.

good night,
    Hubby
  17. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I had my Serotonin levels checked and sure enough I was on empty....which causes

- Insomnia
    - obesity/Over weight
    - Depression
    - Mood swings

There are several ways to treat it.

The book is what you have to buy first $11 at the most.
    Boost your Serotonin Levels 5-HTP
    by Michael Murray, N.D.

You can buy 5-HTP at any health food store and the book tells you how much to take for sleep, if its weight or moods it also guides you on the amount.

My Dr had no problem for me to try this way first and it works well- I had to get rid of 30 lbs and I did since the 5-HTP curbs the hungry.
    No side effects and it is very inexpensive.

First I would get your Serotonin level checked first.
    Most people dont because its not a common test.

Several people I know have great sleep and less weight!

jope this helps!
    jgavi