sleep eye masks, anyone use them????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Jun 28, 2003.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

In my quest for a decent sleep am thinking of room darkening eye masks for sleeping. Anyone use one or have any input. Dont want anything with fragrance.
    There are some that have cutouts so nothing touches your eyes but they seem to be pretty bulky and more expensive.
    Anyone have any experience?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2003]
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

It is a large one with padded areas around the eyes, adjustable strap in the back. got it in the U.S. long time ago at a meditation retreat.

I use the eye mask if I wake too early and need to sleep while it is really light out. Esp if I have taken a sublingual melatonin, which is broken down by light.

It does help. I am glad to have my eye mask.

jen
  3. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

I tried an eye mask several years ago, but I have bad sinus days when I can't stand anything tight on my face. I have used a hand towel folded and draped over my eyes for year and years. My husband calls it my "woobie", lol, because I can't sleep without it. I also use ear plugs to keep out the sound.

hugs from Cat
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Mine's my "horsie"!! LOL because its a very small flat brown pillow,with a pic of a horse head on the front.Its so old but I love it!!it fits just so nicely over my eyes to block any light~ I also have a eye mask....but never use it.Its made of black satin with an adjustable band at the backside.I think it only cost $6 at a beauty supply store.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I had my eye surgery, I bought two of those masks filled with gel and put them in the fridge. They feel wonderful around the eyes and helped with the swelling. They feel good on the sinuses too.

Love, Mikie
  6. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I, too, have the satin one. I hate it. I try to wear
    it when I can't sleep until 10 a..m.!!! It sticks
    to my face and actually allows a lot of light in.
    Sometimes I line it with tissue. I should just
    sew a piece of soft material over it.

I actually sleep with a sheet over my face!
    I am allergic to a lot and use an a/c to sleep
    and an air machine. I get in trouble if my
    nose isn't covered up!

Lynn

Mikie, now that you mention it, I think I have one
    of those floating around somewhere! Can't
    remember!
  7. kaths

kaths New Member

called peepersleepers online. My problem has been finding masks that do not feel binding around the sides and back of my head. These with wonderful sliding elastic straps come in about 30 different designs and cover the sides of your eyes to keep out morning sunlight, which gives me an instant migraine if it hits me. Check them out; I think you'll find them soft and comforable.

Kathy
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Instead, I'm covering my windows. After living with the light waking me up for a year (okay, I'm slow)--after rearranging my bedroom--I finally realized I'm not going to get used to it.

So I'm covering my windows with foil. Gotta buy a nightlight before I can finish, as I don't like it *that* dark.

Never thought of a mask, but I figure I'd probably rip it off my face in the middle of the night and then it wouldn't do me any good. And just wearing it in the morning isn't any good, since once I'm awake that's usually it.