Sleep help needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RitaF, Jun 20, 2011.

1. RitaF

RitaF Member

hi all, i had fairly good luck using ambien for sleep for several years. however, since i began using it regularly, not just when travelling it seems i have had increased symptoms of depression, fatigue, stomach and maybe even eye problems.

i haven't yet found anything that improves sleep without making me feel hung over. i've tried theanine, seriphos, minerals + vit. D plus various B vits.

is there info some place on this site with good info or do some of you have specific ideas? thanks in advance
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here's some things that have helped me.

Seriphos - this did help me sleep when my cortisol levels were high at night. However, I had to take the Seriphos in the morning for it to work properly. So, do you know if your cortisol levels are high? If they're high, did you take the Seriphos in the morning? When I took it at night it did not help. Also, it was important to take enough of it. My cortisol was pretty high and I had to take 8 capsules (divided doses) to begin with. But if your cortisol levels are not high, then Seriphos probably won't do anything for you.

Melatonin - I take 3 mg. at night and this helps

Low B12 levels can contribute to insomnia. Some people recommend hydroxocobalamin and others say methylcobalamin is best, but both are better than cyanocobalamin. Sublingual is the best way to take it.

Low folate levels can contribute to insomnia. Many people (including me) have difficulty converting folic acid, which is synthetic folate, into a form usable by the body. I've recently started taking something called l-methylfolate (Metafolin trade name) which is a bioavailalbe form of folate and my energy is picking up a bit. I can't tell if it's helping with sleep yet or not.

So you've tried various B vitamins, but which ones you've tried is very important - whether it's enough B12 or the proper form of folate etc. Also of course it's important to take a whole B complex. But more B complexes use folic acid so I think it's important to supplement with l-methylfolate and additional sublingual B12.

Magnesium is important for sleep. I've been taking magnesium glycinate before bed and it helps me more than other types of magnesium.

5-htp- this is an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin without the side effects of prescription anti-depressants. This helps me sleep as well. You should not take 5-htp if you are taking an SSRI, as you may develop serotonin syndrome, too much serotonin, which can be dangerous.

I've been taking chamomile in capsule form (I hate the tea) and this is very relaxing, I also take l-theanine. l-theanine by itself is not enough for sleep but helps overall.

Hope this helps -

3. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

Here is an article that may be helpful:

It includes information on common sleep disorders and some suggestions on what may help.

4. RitaF

RitaF Member

I will begin by trying the seriphos earlier in the day as i'd been taking it almost exclusively at night; sometimes i thought that it made me feel more tired the next day. my cortisol level did test too high at inappropriate times of the day.

my b12 IS cyanocobalamin! i will get one of the better forms, as well as a better folate. coincidentally i just found your post on folate.

it amazes me that so many things you mention are things i've been CLOSE to using but probably not effectively. more later and thanks again, Rita
  5. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I take the mag citrate at night, and love it. It also helps with muscle aches and IBS. Trazadone seems to have less hangover effect for me than Ambien. The dosage can be varied as needed. I have occasional spurts where I seem to need more, then go back to a lower dose.