Sleep issues and medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msgirl67, Aug 12, 2010.

1. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Any advice?

I was taking Lunesta 2mg and Zanaflex 2 mg at night and I was still waking up at 2-3 am every morning in pain...tossing and turning, not able to fall back to complete sleep.

My meds were increased to Lunesta 3 mg and it seemed to help me stay asleep until 4 am.

I am now on Lunesta 3 mg and Zanaflex 4 mg and have recently been put on Cymbalta 30 mg and Celebrex 200 mg and I am waking up again at 2am...tossing and turning and not able to fall back to sleep. I take the Cymbalta and Celebrex with dinner around 6pm.

I go for labwork on Monday (GGT, ALT, AST, ANA, RF, ESR, CRP & CK). Not sure what this will or will not tell me, but I am falling asleep at my computer. I work from home (thank god) and I find myself with my head down. I jsut keep telling's just for a few minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I be taking the Cymbalta and Celebrex at a different time in the day? I take it with dinner b/c of the side effects of stomach upset.

Thanks for you help!
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, I don't know anything about your meds, although it seems like quite a bit.

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? For many of us they are high in the middle of the night (when they're not supposed to be) and this can cause severe middle of the night insomnia. Mine were high in the middle of the night and I was given SEriphos (phosphorylated serine) which helped to regulate my cortisol almost immediately.

A good test is the Adrenal Stress Index Test. It's a saliva test, samples are taken 4 times during the day/night so it gives a picture of how your cortisol levels fluctuate. Any doctor or naturopath can order this. I also had it done through Clymer Healing Research in Pennsylvania - they're on-line, and we did everything by phone, e-mail and regular mail. I really recommend getting this test done. It helped me a lot. And if high cortisol is part of your problem, then Lunesta will not solve it, only mask symptoms.

Also you might try melatonin. It helps a lot of people (including me) with sleep. But it can't replace having your cortisol checked.

3. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I am just starting out with all these meds. I have been on my pain med and muscle relaxer and sleeping pill for about 6 months, but I just started on the Cymbalta and Celebrex this week. I also think I am taking too many pills. I hate putting anything into my body that should not be there. My NP has menitoned FM to me before, but I shrugged it off and said let's just try meds and PT first. I called them back a couple of weeks ago to ask to come in to talk about FM and this is what they put me on. It's only been 4 days, and I go back in another week to discuss how I am feeling and to go over my bloodwork. I will ask at that time about the cortisol levels and if I can be checked for that. Maybe I can get off of the sleeping pills if this is the problem.

Thank you for your input...this is the only place that I can find all are very helpful and supportive.

I will also try the melatonin. Thanks! :eek:)[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2010]
  4. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Nurse Practitioner
  5. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I will need to look into finding one of these types of docs in my area. I will also talk to my pain doc next week about one of these docs after we discuss my bloodwork. So much to digest. I'm learning a lot on this board....almost to much to take on in an afternoon. Thanks so much.
  6. hensue

hensue New Member

If you dont get your sleep with fibro you are going to hurt. Not saying supplements do not help but most most supplements to sleep usually do not help.

I know most of us on the board have to go the med way.

Nothing wrong with trying supplements though. I take them all day long unless they interfere with my meds.

generic tramadol might help with sleep

7. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I want someone to manage me....not drug me up. I am trying this right now to see what results it gives me and then want to see the results of all the bloodwork. I looked up Tramadol and seen that it is also called Ultram. I have had Ultram in the past and it has not worked for me. The Lortab seems to take the edge off just enough for me to function and be "nice". I am often told that I need to relax and just calm down....I don't have the patience for most situations these days. Once I take the Lortab, my pain subsides and I am nice least that's what they tell me. Idk. I started to look up the docs that you suggested and have not been able to find any in my area...or state. I will talk to my pain doc next week to see what they suggest. I am looking for a team to help...not just one doc...don't want to leave my heath up to just one person. I will be the main person...the rest can guide me....this is my journey...not theirs.
  8. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Yes, sleep is my first concern...I feel that if I can get a full night of sleep (6-7 hours) then it may help with the battle of the sleepiness during the day. I know it probably won't take it all away, but I feel that sleep is a big component. I have tried the Ultram...doesn't work for me for pain, but I have not tried it for sleep. I here about all kinds of supplements....I think the first one I would want to try is the grapeseed extract. I guess this is just the start of a long journey. I hate pills....or anything that goes into my body that alters the way I was made. Just doesn't seem natural. But, this is not to say that I will not take anything...I will take meds before I let my pain and mood take over my life. Thank you for your advice. I will be looking for many friends along the way. Feel good!
  9. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

This is why I look for advice from others....knowledge is power and I feel that I can learn from everyone. Healing is a part of any disease/disorder. Not only must we manage, but learn to heal. Thank you so much for your input. ;o)
  10. hensue

hensue New Member

it helps me a lot i take magnesium with malic acid and have done that for many years.
    I try every supplement that comes along believe me. We do have to manage the pain and not let it overtake us.
    Jammin you know I am all about supplements. You still are taking lorzepam at night and I would too.

Take care