Sleep Med Ideas, Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toga, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Toga

Toga Member

I need some suggestions for sleep meds I might suggest to my doctor. I am seeing him on Tuesday.

I have developed a rash (very itchy!) on several spots of my body and I started eliminating meds one by one. I started by stopping Tylonol, no improvement. Through the process of elimination I believe I'm allergic to Ambien. I've been taking it for a few years.

Insomnia is the worst symtom I have with FM. Last night was really rough. This was the first night without the Ambien and my rash is already improving.

I am open to any suggestions for supplement or natural aids for this also. I've tried some of these several years ago before I got physician help with this problem. They didn't work that well then. But I'm willing to try again.

I posted this question on the Chit Chat Board also. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Toga
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

u really need a few things if your insomnia is really bad, so u can alternate between them and avoid tolerance, zopiclone is a good sleep and could alternate it with antihistamine like phenergan or atarax and or another benzo like valium etc
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Toga - here are some things you might try (they've all helped me at various times)

Melatonin - I take 3 mg. a night

l-theanine - an amino acid, helps produce GABA in the brain for relaxation

5-htp - an amino acid which helps the brain produce serotonin, can also help with sleep. But it should not be combined with a prescription anti-depressant as you may develop serotonin syndrome - too much serotonin, which can be dangerous

Valerian root - calming herb

Benadryl - antihistamine

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? If they are high at night, that can cause insomnia. A good test is the Adrenal Stress Index Test, a saliva test - you take a sample 4 times during the day/night, so it measures cortisol levels at those times. Cortisol is supposed to be lower at night. Mine was high, causing severe insomnia, and I was told to take Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which helped a lot.

It really seems unfair that on top of everything else we have to deal with insomnia, but that's the way it is - good luck!

4. Toga

Toga Member

Thank you both so much. I've made lists and am now going to do some research. I'm also going to do a patch test with my detergent to see if that might be it.

I need to go to a Dermatologist but mine isn't associated with my new insurance we started January 1st. I've never had an HMO before and so far, it sucks (I've never used that expression before. I must be losing my mind from the itch.)

I'm also going to stop taking everything including my vitamins and supplements to see if that helps.

Thank you again. This is the best place to get help from real people.

5. A low dose of Trazadone works very well for me.
  6. Toga

Toga Member

I'm going to check out Calms Forte. Also re: The Rash I think I've figured it out. As I was finally drifting off last night I was thinking. Everywhere my body touches the sheet is where I itch.

My husband puts the sheets on for me. I take them off and wash them and he sometimes takes them out of the washer and puts them in the dryer.

I always run them through another complete cycle of just water and he thinks I'm rinsing too much. So I've laid the law down. I will decide when they are ready for the dryer.

I saw the doc who treats my FM and he had a good idea. He said I should go back on my meds (when the rash clears) one at a time to see which ones might be the culprit

We are preparing for some bad weather We are supposed to get several inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. So we have decided not to attend our Kennel Club Meeting tonight. The snow has already started. I can't wait until Spring.

7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

An OTC herbal type sleep aid that seems to help is Sleep MD.

I've been taking 50-100 mg Trazodone for several yrs, really helps me stay in a deeper sleep. Does cause my nose to get stuffy at higher doses since it effects the Histamine receptors.

For me, the Benadryl and other things like that make me very restless so they actually backfire on me.
  8. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Toga - I've had some trouble sleeping lately & asked a friend of mine, who is a scientist & has done a lot of research into various CFS/FM & amalgam poisoning issues. I've been taking Klonopin for sleep for several years, along with melatonin, but it seems like the Klono is losing its effectiveness over time.

This friend of mine has been taking Requip (ropinirole) & highly recommends it. Its actually a Parkinson's drug, but is also used to treat restless leg syndrome. The beauty of it is as a sleep aid is that gets you to stage 3 & 4 sleep, REM sleep.

For men, like myself, REM sleep promotes the release of HGH, which is very beneficial for CFS sufferers as well. If you have leg pain or leg restlessness at night, then it would be a good med to try for anyone, esp those with FM. I plan on talking to my doc about it at my next visit & hopefully will be giving it a try soon.

[This Message was Edited on 01/21/2011]
  9. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Sounds like you may already have nailed down the source of your itchies, but I'd like to add this possibility....possibly it will help others.

My father had a ferocious body itch (mostly on trunk) that was driving him insane for many months. He would get up at 3 a.m. and shower and apply any kind of moisturizing balm to get even a little relief so that he could get a little more sleep. His doctor was rather dismissive of his problem (it was sometimes visible, sometimes not). At one point his doctor was sure that it must be scabies because the itch was most intense at night and scabies are active at night. He went through the whole rigmarole treatment for scabies and also wondered how the hell he could have contracted it. He's almost ninety and lives a healthy clean lifestyle and most "social" ways of becoming infected with scabies seemed remote.

Last summer I overheard a woman describe almost exactly what my dad had gone through....the itch, night-time showers, the (false) diagnosis of scabies. She kept thinking it must be a side-effect of a medication but her doctor denied that she was taking anything that could cause it. So she went to another doctor who agreed it could be her thyroid meds. He took her off of Levothyroxin and switched her to Amour. In just over a week, her rash....which she'd had for MONTHS...finally went away.

After that I asked my dad if he was taking this same Levothyroxin. He actually went through his records and found that he'd been put on it just a few weeks before the itching started. Connecting the dots seems a no-brainer.

By this time my dad's rash was almost gone and we figured his body just must be adapting and that it was probably best to leave well-enough alone. But he suffered for about 9 months with this torturous itching, and I believe it was due to the Levathyroxin
  10. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

oopsie, I see that your in your original post your inquiry was for recommendations for other sleep meds, besides Ambien. I have found Klonopin (generic clonazepam) to be more helpful than anything else I've tried. I've used .5 mg per night for over 12 years and it has never ceased to be helpful nor have I ever felt it necessary to up the dose.
  11. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I take Klonopin for restless legs, but it's also good for anxiety; .5 mg Xanax can help me get to sleep if I've got too much on my mind, but I don't take it often. Mostly I have trouble sleeping through the night due to pain. I get up and stretch, make a cup of tea, go back to bed, reposition myself, prop a lot of pillows around myself, and if all else fails, take 1/2 percocet (I only have the 5 mg ones). I've spent lots of $ on supplements that are for the mostpart ineffective; herbal tea does the trick for a lot less $ and it's a lot easier to swallow.

I hope this helps you.

I Love Green
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2011]