Sleep medication...does anyone take one that works?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PrincessofYoga, May 7, 2003.

1. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Hi guys, I have been taking Elavil for almost a year. I was up to 50 mgs. Well, it stopped working on my sleep, therefore causing more pain,...yada yada. So, my doctor has now tried trazodone, 50mg. It has given me nightmares and not allowed me to sleep through the night since Friday. Increasing the pain even more, as we all know.

He wants to put me back on Elavil. Isnt there any thing else we can try? Does anyone have any luck with anything?

Namaste
    Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  2. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

and I like it better because I get in oral concentrate form, and I can control the dosage. I have 2 small kids, and my 1 yr. old gets up a lot at night; so i can't be too groggy. I take anywhere from 5-10mg. Most people use a higher dose, but that's all I can handle without being drugged out the next day. It works in about a half an hour, and I go into a deep sleep, the only thing that wakes me up is my son. And, if I do get up, I don't have a hard time falling back to sleep! See if your doc can let you try it, it couldn't hurt to try!! Good luck!
    ~Tina~
  3. bejo

bejo New Member

I take elavil plus a light dosage atavin.But it is usually hard to get a Dr. to prescribe atavin.They say it's habit forming,I say I don't care because sleep is habit forming too when you can't get any.LOL Good luck,hope you find something that works. bejo
  4. bwoodruff

bwoodruff New Member

Hi Princess!
    Elavil stopped working for me too. I started taking Ambien and Neurontin which worked beautifully to get me to sleep and keep me asleep.

Migraines had become an issue, so my Dr. had added Zanaflex to help with the muscle tension in the neck and shoulders. I've stopped the Neurontin and am giving Topamax a try. I'm not sleeping as well, but the migraines and daily headaches have dropped markedly - YAY!

I'd say give Ambien and Neurontin a whirl - they were magic for me! Good luck!
  5. PrincessofYoga

You are all gems!! Thanks, I am going to my doc tonight and I will ask him about all of this.

Thanks! Thanks!
  6. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I was on lots of things, klonopin worked the best but then I added neurontin for added pain relief and have NEVER in my life slept like this!
    Tibbie
  7. KayL

KayL New Member

a combination of 8 mg Zanaflex and 10 mg Elavil. It works for me.

Karen
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is not a sleep medication; it is an antiseizure/antispasmodic medication. It quiets the misfiring of the neurons in the brain to allow sleep to happen.

Love, Mikie
  9. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

On this message board, just put Insomnia in the Message Search section..people can be very different in their response to various meds...but Gaba seems to be helping me more at the present...

~~Amelia~~
  10. PrincessofYoga

You know, I looked it up on Mayoclinic to find out why it was used and it said anti-seizure, which got me confused. You answered my question though!

Actually, I dont have insomnia, I have no problems getting to sleep. Its staying asleep that is the problem. I dont lay there and wish I was asleep, I just keep waking, going back to sleep, waking, etc.

Thanks for the advice. Even though I look like I am new to the board, I have been coming on for almost a year now. I do searches but most of the time I like real time info, since it seems to change dialy!!!

Thanks!!!
  11. mje

mje New Member

Started Flexeril when diagosed in 1985. Have used it for nearly all of that time. For many years 5 mgs. gave me
    pretty good sleep., now I take 10 to 20 mgs. Think I should have taken more many a time. Save the 20 when I am having a "flare" ( that thing we are so familiar with)and try to use only 10 most nights. Although I am somewhat heavier after 17 years I have not gained a lot.
    Maybe just have to be a little more careful with the diet.
    Hope all these replies give you some ideas. Best regard to all. MJE
  12. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Hi Lisa,

I have found that Valerian has really helped me.

Bye,
    Michelle
  13. ReallyTired

ReallyTired New Member

Trazodone 125mg, Remeron 22.5mg, Restoril 30mg

When I flare, nothing helps.

I know you probably don't want to go back on Trazodone but maybe the Elavil along with Remeron would be beneficial for you. Remeron in low doses is very sedating and in higher doses it's more stimulating like an SSRI's such as Prozac.

I hope this helps you. Take care. Reallytired...
  14. moonflowercat

moonflowercat New Member

Flexeril 10mg and Klonopin .5 mg (either 1 or 2 Klonopin depending on how big my eyes are at night!) I'll never give them up, been on them for 6 yrs. A friend of mine made the mistake of letting her doc talk her into giving up the combo I take, and trying Elavil and Paxil. She went into a manic/depressive state along with not sleeping, and he still won't give her Klonopin back.

No, no, don't mess with my meds doc!

Brenda :eek:)
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Since you do not have a problem falling asleep, try ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6).

It has helped me STAY in a deep sleep for 7-8 hours, if I wake up, I go right back to sleep.

I also take Xanax in the evening,
    and Melatonin to 'fall asleep'.

HOpe you start getting your sleep again, boy is it important.

Mel took his ZMA along with the Klonopin.

Shalom, Shirl
  16. SharonR

SharonR New Member

I take klonapin, and although it is touted as addicitive it works for me. I left my prescription at home and spent 4 miserable sleepless nights. Sleep deprevation is a horrible thing for people in our condition.
    Good luck with what ever works for you.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  17. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I take Elavil now and it seems to help a little bit, but I've only been on it for about a month now...Remeron was awful, made me feel worse than before, both physically and mentally... Trazadone helped slightly, and Ambien did nothing for me either. I take Melatonin on occassion and it seems to help better than any prescription med I've tried....also they have something called Calms Forte, made by Hyland and they sell it at Walmart, and it works fairly well too... Muscle relaxers helped me sleep too, but now I can't find a doctor who will give me any med except Elavil, so I'm pretty much stuck with just taking it, melatonin, or the calms forte...
  18. PrincessofYoga

Thanks for all your responses. I started taking imipramine (25mg) last night and it helped a great deal. I woke a few times but when I did have to get up, I felt like getting up. First time in a long time for me! I still have a long road but guess we all do right!!

Heres to all of us who live and survive this crap. We are all amazing in our own right!!!

Namaste
    Lisa
  19. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I take the anti-anxiety med. xanex. .5-1mg is all I need. Without it I don't sleep much and when I do drift off, I then wake up with stiff and sore muscles.

The Horsegal

[ advertisement ]