Sleep Medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by motomom412, Oct 16, 2005.

1. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well.
    My question today is....

Is anyone taking any other medications to help them sleep besides anti-depression medications?

My doctor put me on elavil when I first was dx with fm, probably about a year and a half ago. Since then I have gained so much weight and my cravings for sweets are uncontrollable! It's like a drug addiction. They also put me on lexapro for my depression, so I am taking them both.

I was hoping that I could take another medicine to help me sleep so I could stop taking these anti-depressants.

They tell me to lose weight, and that would help me to feel better, but yet they have me on two meds that make me gain weight and that make me crave food that I'm not suppose to eat. That does not make any sense to me at all.

I would be eternally grateful for any advice!!

Reg
  2. schaken

schaken New Member

Reg,
    I'm really just bumping you.

I have taken Ambien and now I am taking Lunesta.

Ambien worked for about 6 months. Lunesta works well also.

I don't know if they can be combined with the drug you are taking though.

Hopefully some one else can answer,

Leslie
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Elavil is awful for weight gain! I'm actually glad it stopped working so I could stop taking it. I am taking a couple things for clinical depression, and the weight I've gained over the last 8 years of so is sickening! However, I seem to have leveled off. Thank goodness.

There are many sleep meds other than antidepressants. Ambien, Lunesta, just to name a couple. Klonipen, Ativan, Xanex are some others. If the antidepressant isn't helping or it's side effects are too much, there are other things.

So, ask your doc to change your meds. Now, I don't know what he/she might say, but if they want you to lose weight, I don't know how you'll do it on Elavil.

Best of luck...Hang in there!
    Sue
  4. Fibrotears

Fibrotears New Member

Hi!

I have been using Dormanoct(South African name)but it affected my short term memory.

My doctor then prescribed Solatran (Ketazolam), an anti-deppressant. It works wonders but just drink 15mg.

Hope it helps.

Fibrotears
  5. trinity3

trinity3 New Member

i dont think antidepressants should be used for insomnia.. there are sleeping pills for that... if the elavil has not helped you and you cannot tolerate the side effects your doctor needs to work with you on that! you do not have to take any medication you dont want to take just cause they want you to!!
  6. maripat

maripat New Member

I just switched to Lunesta a couple months ago.
    I've really noticed improvement right away. Don't get me wrong it's no miracle, I still wake once or twice a night but the difference is I am able to fall back to sleep. I also take 1 or 2 Flexerel and Prozac 20mg about an hour before I would like to be asleep. So far this has been the best combonation I have found to work for me.
    maripat
  7. katbird7

katbird7 New Member

Hi, I'm on klonopin which helps some, but I have tried other things with it (some herbal--had to check w/my alternative med. doc on what I can mix w/Klonopin). Ambiem seems to work the opposite on me. I tried Lunesta w/a low dose of Klonopin, but it didn't seem to do the trick. I tried Elavil also w/o my Klonopin and stayed awake all night. I think that's the problem w/Klonopin--it's hard to ween off. I have been on Lyrica for almost 2 weeks my Rheum. said I can take it w/other meds. I take it with my Klonopin, pain pills-Lortab, and muscle relaxer-Soma. I haven't slept better in years. I just hope it doesn't wear off. I would find a doc that understands your situation. Prayers and love, Kat
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

I think the reason that alot of physicians prescribe antidepressants for sleep is not only for the sedating effects, but because some sleep problems are actually caused by depression.

I on occasion use Klonopin for sleep

I have tried Ativan, and while it really knocks you out, it was really harsh on my body

Klonopin tends to go into your system slowly and leaves it slowing, whereas Ativan is quick acting
  9. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi! I have taken many combinations, and have found that Ambien and Mirapex with Elavil work pretty well for me.
    I've also had good results with Ambien and Xanax. Halcion worked great for sleep, but didnt help my muscle aches. I've tried so many different medications (much like everyone else I'm sure) that I really think you just have to keep trying different ones until you find one that works for you.
    Good luck!
  10. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

I am going to schedule an appointment with my doc's so we can get me off of these meds, and try something else.

Thanks for all of your help.

Regene
  11. Vada

Vada New Member

Over the years I have been on numerous meds at night. I was on elavil for over 3 years and finally got myslf off of it since I couldn't stand the brain foggieness, dizziness, etc. In 2001 I was put on klonopin and paxil. Th3en I had to go off tht and they put me on zoloft wih the paxil. Then the paxil no longer worked so I was using wellbutrin and klonpin. Then that had to be discontinued and I was put irst on Seroquel, which dropped my already low blood pressure, and then they tried zyprexa which also didn't. finally as of now I take 200 mg Lqamixtal and 50 mg trazadojne at night and within 10 minutes of taking it I am out like a rock.

During the morning I take 120 mg cymbalta, 100mg lamictal and 1 mg klonopin. LaVada
  12. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

is what we all need! I've opted for natural sleep aids. What has helped me is Peaceful Nights which can be purchased here at Pro Health.

What has actually helped even more is something called Schizandra Dreams by Health Concerns, in conjunction with acupuncture.

Hope you find what works best for you soon.

Take care,
    Hopeful4