Sleep Paralysis after Nightmares?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Anyone experience this? I swear I have so many bizarre symptoms that I probably sound like I am mentally ill or something.

I had vicious nightmares last night and woke up unable to move anything for over 15 mins. My heart was racing something terrible and the FM pain was intense as I had tensed my muscles during nightmare.

Baffling TIM
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

It's extremely frightening. I feel as tho I'm being pushed down very deeply into the bed, eventually the earth itself, and I will surely die if I allow myself to give into it. The feeling eventually subsides. I tried explaining it to my dr. yrs. ago, but he said it was probably just a bad dream. However, I know I'm fully awake and just can't move anything or open my eyes or scream (that's what I feel like doing). I find that when I am highly stressed, I'm more apt to have an episode. Once I found there were others who suffered from this condition, it kinda made me feel less crazy. I did a search on the internet and got some good information. Mine usually happens just as I seem to be drifting off to sleep.

Sharon
  3. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Hi Tim,
    I have been having sleep terrors and sleep paralysis for the past couple of weeks. I thought it was one of the meds I was just started taking, so I stopped taking the med and nothing changed. I wake up screaming or completely frozen with fear, sometime so bad I'm afraid to go the bathroom. I had sleep paralysis last night and I couldn't talk, it felt like I was chocking. Luckly my hand was on my husbands thigh... i kept trying to nudge him and he would wake so I had to did my finger nails into him because I couldn't talk.

I hate this. Everynight something happens when I go to bed. It's like Nightmare on Elm St. LOL

Racehl
  4. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

I seldome have 'nice happpy dreams' when I wake up - I will have extreme stiffness of my feet and ankles - and this always seems to be towards morning when I am on my back.
    I have a 'mild' handicap and so when I sleep - I don't turn automatically like years ago - and maybe it is just the covers on my feet that seem to bind me - & gives me the terrifing dreams - of being chased - and unable to get away? **********

Marian
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2003]
  5. aching

aching New Member

Hi Tim, I also suffer from sleep paralysis. Mine usually happens near morning. I usually dream that for some reason I must wake up right away, eg. a burgler in the house or the house on fire. I am paralized and the more I struggle the longer it takes for me to come out of it. I liken it to being under water and struggling to get to the top. I also have something called hypnagogic dreams. These occur when I have just drifted off. I find myself with my eyes open staring at a large spider going up or coming down from the ceiling. As I come out of it the spider fades but before it does I have been know to swat at it and even jump out of bed and run away from it. Once I saw a man standing at the bottom of my bed. You can do a search for this on the internet.Both apparently can occur with narcolepsy.sp?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2003]
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Paralysis while asleep is the normal condition. The body secretes hormones which relax certain muscles and prevent you from acting out your dreams. If it didn’t you would be in quite some danger every time you went to sleep.

The process of waking up might seem quite simple to you. But it’s actually a complex process involving many physiological changes. One of these is the reversal of the paralysis. People experience sleep paralysis when the hormone doesn’t wear off fast enough as they wake up. They remain paralysed though conscious.

Because they have little sensation from their body, if they are lying on their backs, it can feel like someone is
    sitting on their chest. Eventually the paralysis departs and normal functions can be resumed.

There is an opposite disorder where people don’t get paralysed enough as they go to sleep. In a minor case this results in twitching and kicking while dreaming, but in a major case they can get up and walk around.

A side effect of this paralysis is that your bed feels a lot more comfortable in the morning when you wake up than it did when you first got into it. It hasn’t changed, your body is just less sensitive.

None of this should be considered evidence of anything paranormal.

Marilyn :)[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2003]
  7. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

My feet and ankles are the areas that get megastiff as well.
    Wow. That is really weird.

TIM
  8. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Look up Narcolepsy. The symptoms many of you describe are classic of this disorder. Narcolepsy is also associated with sleep apnea.

Cheryll
  9. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

Yes my feet and up about 2 to 3 inches above feet - VERY STILL - also my hands and wrists. Very strange feeling. Marian

I have cotton gloves with copper woven into inside - strange as it seems - this does help the hands. Have been thinking to get some for my ankles - [must save up for them though] Also have that same wrap for my arthritic knee - and it really also helps that. The Nurse practitioner - at the clinic - said that the copper probably causes warmth. If I get any for my ankles - I will report on it. Marian
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

Sometimes I was just having the waking/paralysis w/pounding heart and not being able to remember what the dreams were. The worst I had was a nightmare of someone being in the house, and me 'feeling' my eyes were open and seeing them standing there. Don't laugh -- but it didn't help that they looked like an honest-to-goodness-right-out-of-the-B-movies alien, and that there were bright lights shining right over me in my living room ceiling (I'd fallen asleep on the couch) where no lights were. Creepy. I could feel myself struggling to scream, to move, to warn my family, but I couldn't. Still makes me freaked to think about it.

And to Nikki -- although I've never had one, your description of being pushed down into your bed/the earth sounds like the beginning of a classic out-of-body experience. My brother-in-law has had a couple of those. This past year I remember reading that researchers found a section of the brain, when stimulated, that allows the subject to have an OBE. Perhaps something about the chemistry/neurology of those w/CFS&FM stimulates this? Just a thought.
  11. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I must thrush around alot if I am in my king size bed it looks like someone had a battle and I used to sleep in my own little spot not being small.

I usually stay in a wild dream stage and then when I need to get up I am awake but am totally paralyzed as when people hit deep delta sleep.

Used to have terrible nightmares when I was being stalked.

Now it is sort of just upsetting type dreams, where I am partially awake because I can hear what is going on around me.
    When I had surg. anesthesiologist was yelling at me because I was moving around and IV came out.(Hello), This is usually because I am in pain all the time. Should be a clue even when put under.. So glad she yelled at me that helped, like I had any control...Geez, never a break.

I even thought if nothing else out of this I will get some good rest.lol Haaaaa

No wonder we are such a mess>>>>lol
  12. baybe

baybe New Member

All people are paralyzed while in a deep sleep. Because of the fibro and the lack of REM we are often awakened before the body gets notified, this happens even without nightmares. It used to scare me to death, first I thought I was crazy, then paralyzed. My support group leader is Devin Starlynal writer of the Fibro Book and she explained it to us and said it happens to her all the time. Now that I know about it I pay no attention and actually it doesn't happen as much. Hope this helps. Everyone else pretty much had it right.
  13. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I think I may have had the reverse at times also. Years ago when I got out of bed in the morning, the cover was hardly moved...now it looks like world war III has been going on in the bed! One morning I awoke to find that all 3 rings were gone!...It took most of the week to find them, evidently I had removed them and thrown them in 3 different directions!

sumbuni...(nickname...RE!)
  14. Dara

Dara New Member

this same thing (sleep paralysis) just within the last week or so. I also have the nightmares, night terrors, or whatever you want to call them. I am dreaming and I'm trying to make myself wake up because the nightmare is so bad, I can't scream, like I'm frozen and can't move. I feel as if I'm trying to scream but it only comes out in a whisper type voice. Very scarry though, I hate it when it happens.

Someone said this was a part of Narcolepsy. Is Narcolepsy the same thing as when you can suddenly fall asleep during the day? I will all of a sudden, with no warning, get so fatigued I almost pass out. I'll sometimes sleep for hours. I used to wake up with a racing heartbeat but that finally stopped.

Sweet Dreams,
    Dara