Sleep problems and highway driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

It was a very scary morning for me my friends. I was driving into work and started to fall asleep... and crossed into the next lane of traffic. Thankfully, I heard a horn before I was too far gone.

I should have known because I was falling asleep while trying to get ready for work.

I'm scared. I'm leaving this job that I've had for only a month to work somewhere else. I can't call in just because I can't keep my eyes open.

I'm seeing the rheumatologist in a little while and hopefully he'll have a solution.

Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. MichelleV

MichelleV New Member

I can relate. I have an hour commute to work each morning and during a particularly bad flare I fell asleep at the wheel more than once. Some Dr.'s will prescribe amitryptiline to help fibro sufferers sleep more deeply at night and get a more refreshing sleep.
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That is so scary! I'm really afraid for you.

I was having falling asleep problems on my morning drive, too.

Do you take any benzos, like Xanax? They can make you very sleepy. They stay in your system quite awhile, too. Once I cut down on those, it really helped.

What do you eat for breakfast? I also figured out that I was always getting sleepy right after eating. I think my body was just putting so much energy into digesting food, that it didn't have the energy available to keep me awake.

I was only eating cereal for breakfast, not some big heavy food. Once I started eating Stormy's shake for breakfast, those driving-to-work sleepies went away. I think the whey in the shake gives my body protein to work with, and the rest of the stuff is easy to digest. The basic shake is just apples, almonds, flax seeds, whey and molasses. I also add in orange juice, berries and part of a banana. Just a few days ago I started adding in some of the powder Green food, too.

I'm glad you are trying to figure this out. Don't want you getting hurt!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2005]
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

For breakfast I have a protein shake. I'm suppose to get about 6 of them in a day.

I also had been very scared. I was told on an other group, that they have a "no dying" policy. I really thought that was the end.

The rheumy wants me off some of the meds I'm on, and others he wants to shift around when I take them.

All we can do is see what happens. I have great doctors, and I am going to count on them for their advice and to work together.

Thank you everyone!
    Tigger
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

This is really scary. I think it would be better to come in late for work, than not make it at all.

Even before I had CFS I would sometimes get sleepy on long drives. Now it occurs on less long drives. I have never lived farther than 15 minutes from work, so never had difficulty with that.

I have pulled off of the road in some 'iffy' situations rather than continuing to drive while sleepy. I figure pulling off presents a danger only to me, while continuing to drive endangers both myself and everyone else on the road.

When possible, I like to pull off and sleep in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant. I park in sight of the dining room and, if possible, in sight of the people at the counter. I don't think anyone is likely to bother me in such a busy place.

I find these thing help prevent sleepiness on longer drives:
    Get plenty of sleep the night before.
    Don't start the drive earlier than you are accustomed to being fully awake and active.
    Drink plenty of water during the trip.
    Drink a little more caffeine than you usually do, but don't overdo it. "Caffeine jitters" have a negative effect on driving ability.
    Don't drive more than a hour without stopping and getting out of the car to 'stretch your legs'.
    Don't drive more than three hours without eating. Before and during driving trips, eat small, high protein meals.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2005]
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Oh, Tigger, this is not good! I've been there. I had a 75 min. commute to work and I have fallen asleep at the wheel one time driving TO work, but luckily snapped to when my tires hit the gravel on the side of the road--I was by myself. The other time, it was on the way home, and I was the driver of the carpool -- I woke up when they ALL SCREAMED!

Are you taking anything different? I always thought trying new meds during the workweek was too risky for me, so I always tried them out on Saturday so I would have the 2 days off to see how they affected me.

Daytime drowsiness is such a problem with all the antidepressants, pain meds, and sleep meds. In fact, even some of my blood pressure meds used to make me really sleepy during the day.

Yes, you definitely need to stay alive to get to your new job!!! I'm glad you are talking with your doc about this right away!

Take care,
    Janet