Sleep problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksev, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ksev

ksev New Member

I have always had sleep probems but now they are worse than ever since I have had to start vicodin for FM and other medical pain. The vicodin has helped so much for the FM since I finally came to terms to take it. I hated the thought of "ME" having to take a pain med. I want to stay active and not hurt so bad you want to give up. Ever since I started the Vicodin a month ago my sleep is sooooooooo bad, anybody else have this problem?
    Thanks and hugs,
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I think vicodin has caffiene in it. Ask your doctor
    or search google (I don't remember who told me). I can't
    take it because it makes me dizzy, but I know that caffiene stays in your system for 24 hrs. or more, depending on the person.
  3. ksev

ksev New Member

Thank you for you reply so fast, I will ck. it out but I think it's the codine in it that wires me. It helps so much with the pain, now the sleep. What is one to do.
    Thanks again.
  4. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I just searched for vicodin side effects and ingredients and couldn't find anything about the caffeine, so my sources were wrong I guess. But, if you are drinking coffee or tea or colas with caffeine, you might try elimination of caffeine from your diet to see if that helps your sleep. Otherwise, you may need sleep meds like so many of us. I can't get more than a few hours sleep without them, all seem to make mornings harder though.
    Best wishes.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I have Lortab to take for back problems.

Lortab and Vicodin are basically the same thing.

When I take the Lortab after 6 pm, I can't sleep. And ... that even when I take my Zanaflex to sleep.
  6. ksev

ksev New Member

You are so sweet to look things up about sleep problems on vicodin. I am going to ask my Dr. about it but don't see him until Dec. I do not want to stop the vicodin it lets me live a somewhat "normal" life.
    Thanks and hugs
  7. ksev

ksev New Member

Thanks for your reply, each night without sleep isn't much fun but maybe it will get better.
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Jlh is right as I take Lortabs sometimes for pain at night and it sort of keeps me awake. Which is why I'm still up at 12:32 AM.

But then the pain will keep me up or the pins and needles will keep me up. Also if it isn't cold enough, I'll be thrashing about in bed looking for a cold place to be. Don't know why I do that, but winter or summer, I do.

I don't know why the Lortab keeps me up, but it does. I had to take one tonight for tongue pain from burning it on food several nights ago. Sounds silly, but it just hurts badly.

I'm lucky I can sleep until 11:30 AM tomorrow. Try to go a few nights without a Vicodin and see if you sleep any better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. ksev

ksev New Member

I try not to take any vocodin after 3 or 4 in the afternoon but that really doesn't matter. It is so nice not to be in such pain all the time. I went shopping yesterday and was gone for 3hrs. usually I will last for maybe an hour if that and then come home and cry. The vicodin is a God sent for me but let me tell you I really struggled taking it at first. I still don't like the fact that I have to but I am tired of suffering in pain. I have had alot of physical pain in my life and I'd like to live the rest without so much.
    Hope your feeling better.
    Hugs to you